Monthly News Thread (May 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Let's cool that comment because we've been there before. Hardy after his insane run in 2009 went to TNA. It did nothing. What matters most is long term booking, storytelling, etc. Mox is a great pick up, but it's just a small piece to a much larger puzzle of actually competing.
I've been checking alot of the YouTube content, and the amount of views from DON highlights, to the post show interviews and so on is catching my attention. The interest is real, Meltzer said the Google searches in the US were 3rd in the country Saturday and that's a metric the combat sports companies follow closely.

If nothing else this company is definitely aimed at or is registering with millennial fans

I was at work and I've rarely heard wrestling discussed, but this came up and the people I talked too were excited. The general consensus on WWE was it's just a show for little kids

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I've been checking alot of the YouTube content, and the amount of views from DON highlights, to the post show interviews and so on is catching my attention. The interest is real, Meltzer said the Google searches in the US were 3rd in the country Saturday and that's a metric the combat sports companies follow closely.

If nothing else this company is definitely aimed at or is registering with millennial fans

I was at work and I've rarely heard wrestling discussed, but this came up and the people I talked too were excited. The general consensus on WWE was it's just a show for little kids

Ehh. FWIW, if WWE ran one show every four months their videos would have a shit ton of views too. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, I'm just saying that realistically, when your content is so minimal, it's going to get more attention. It's almost a different form of supply and demand.

It's almost like the dummies who like to talk about NASCAR's ratings compared to hockey, considering NASCAR doesn't run anything close to 1,250+ events per year.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I’m starting to think that there is a large dormant wrestling fan base that’s been waiting for better; more mature content. If you think about it the people that were 25 slight fans in 2005 aren’t watching a kids aimed wwe now at 40 but they might watch a more mature one.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’m starting to think that there is a large dormant wrestling fan base that’s been waiting for better; more mature content. If you think about it the people that were 25 slight fans in 2005 aren’t watching a kids aimed wwe now at 40 but they might watch a more mature one.
I read old observer rewinds on reddit. When WCW died, they didn’t migrate to WWE. Millions of wrestling fans just disappeared.

I’m not saying those people, 20 years older, will come back, but I think AEW is going to really catch on with younger crowds (teens to 25 years old). I think people have been waiting for this though and AEW, if successful, will reap those rewards.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'm 37 in September, been a fan since 1991 so I was a teenager during the Attitude Era. I have little issue with the current era but anything they want to do to improve the product is fine with me. I think AEW is going to give them a run for their money.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
At the end of the day wrestling is an soap opera for men (with chairs and violence) and soap operas are only as good as their stories.

Right now the stories in the wwe really suck and have no continuity; it’s always the flavor of the week. For example - why build up Balor for an one off match with Brock and then do no follow up but throw him back into the mid card.

The stories and emotional investment isn’t there in the wwe and if AEW figure that it it will be great for them.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
At the end of the day wrestling is an soap opera for men (with chairs and violence) and soap operas are only as good as their stories.

Right now the stories in the wwe really suck and have no continuity; it’s always the flavor of the week. For example - why build up Balor for an one off match with Brock and then do no follow up but throw him back into the mid card.

The stories and emotional investment isn’t there in the wwe and if AEW figure that it it will be great for them.

You're completely correct, and I'm curious to see if the company does go in that direction. I think that there are fans who are hoping for very different things from the company.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- Maria and Mike Bennett's contracts are up in 3 weeks and they won't be re-signing with WWE.

I think they'll be back in ROH.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
- Maria and Mike Bennett's contracts are up in 3 weeks and they won't be re-signing with WWE.

I think they'll be back in ROH.
Is that including his injury/addiction rehab time or is it TBD whether or not that will be added on ;)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

I don’t think that’s a serious thing lol

The signed June 2017, so their contracts ending in June 2019 lines up.

They both missed time, so it’s possible the WWE adds that time on.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Jon Moxley has no Indy dates lined up during the G1 and Dave’s source in NJPW wouldn’t answer if he’s a part of it.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
That being said, he does have a big match against Pentagon scheduled 4-days after the G1. Considering traveling across the world to get back to America plus the 30 days of hell that is the G1, would be a tall order.

Would be cool to see him in the G1, but at the same time he would almost immediately loose his special attraction aura in NJPW.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don’t think that’s a serious thing lol

The signed June 2017, so their contracts ending in June 2019 lines up.

They both missed time, so it’s possible the WWE adds that time on.

I doubt WWE cares enough to add time on. Yeah the WWE is petty but only if they can see value in you (even if they don't utilize it). Doubt Vince is too bothered even if they walked right into AEW but who knows what his mindset is these days

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I doubt AEW would even have any interest in them anyways.

The ones on WWE’s roster I see them wanting who could leave are Harper, Revival, Sasha and Sami.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt WWE cares enough to add time on. Yeah the WWE is petty but only if they can see value in you (even if they don't utilize it). Doubt Vince is too bothered even if they walked right into AEW but who knows what his mindset is these days
Oh no, they definitely care. Nobody is getting released right now.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I doubt AEW would even have any interest in them anyways.

The ones on WWE’s roster I see them wanting who could leave are Harper, Revival, Sasha and Sami.

Mike Bennett is friends with the AEW guys, but I agree, I think they end up back in ROH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->