Monthly News Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm cool with Nikki facing Ronda. Why would you want someone you care about like Becky, Sasha, or Bayley etc getting geeked out, made to look like a fool, and fed to the next "big" thing like a chump when you can have someone you hate do the duty instead?

Save your Asuka/Charlotte/Alexa marque match for Wrestlemania when Rhonda's ready to drop the belt... Then again we all know that's going to be Stephanie's moment. :(
I'm ok with Nikki facing Ronda if the match goes the way it's supposed to go - and that's Ronda squashing Nikki in 30 seconds, just destroying her.

But if they try to make Nikki look like her equal, or the "wrestling vet" and have her dominate the match only for Ronda to go superwoman after getting beaten down for 10 minutes - THAT'S where I have a problem and I hope like all hell that is not the route they take.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I got the point. Unless they make either interesting, they'll likely never share the ring with Rousey.
First off, yes they will because everyone always fights everyone. But nope, still didn’t get it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
First off, yes they will because everyone always fights everyone. But nope, still didn’t get it.
I disagree. At the rate they're both going right now they're more likely to be out of the WWE than they will in a Rousey feud. Alicia Fox is more interesting...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No need to argue over this. Nobody in the world wants to see Bella go up against Rousey. But it is what it is and honestly i'll just tune it out. No biggie.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
No need to argue over this. Nobody in the world wants to see Bella go up against Rousey. But it is what it is and honestly i'll just tune it out. No biggie.

evidently someone does

probably the kind of people who turn on Total Bellas but not for Daniel Bryan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I disagree. At the rate they're both going right now they're more likely to be out of the WWE than they will in a Rousey feud. Alicia Fox is more interesting...

This is obviously a put-on, and if not you should push it as one. You’re clearly not paying attention otherwise.

evidently someone does

probably the kind of people who turn on Total Bellas but not for Daniel Bryan

That’s the people they’re trying to draw. The #womenswrestling hardcores that the show appeals to don’t need to be sold on the show.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
That’s the people they’re trying to draw. The #womenswrestling hardcores that the show appeals to don’t need to be sold on the show.

Anyone who will only watch Evolution to see Nikki fight for the title is not going to continue watching after that show. They probably want that match more for some special Total Bellas episode. It's annoying how much they cater to casual fans.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
casual fans dont care about match quality
No but they care about realism. Sure, they most likely will scream "it's fake" but these wrestlers need to make it look at least somewhat convincible and make you suspend your belief, even if for a brief moment. Nikki has never done that, nor will she ever do that, for anyone. Casual or not

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No but they care about realism. Sure, they most likely will scream "it's fake" but these wrestlers need to make it look at least somewhat convincible and make you suspend your belief, even if for a brief moment. Nikki has never done that, nor will she ever do that, for anyone. Casual or not
Bellas have been a big merch seller, so it doesn't seem that's a big part of the equation.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bellas have been a big merch seller, so it doesn't seem that's a big part of the equation.
Meh. Merch can be pushed by WWE in a way. Just one look on Shop WWE's home page and there are:

- 2 ads for the Bella's
- 4 ads for Seth Rollins
- 3 ads for Roman Reigns
- 1 ad for The Shield
- 1 ad for Finn Balor
The featured superstars are Reigns, Rollins, Cena, Balor, Strowman, Styles, Bliss, and Ronda.

I'm not saying they aren't mainstream, but WWE can definitely push who they want in terms of merch.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They aren’t mainstream because WWE isn’t mainstream. But if you’re trying to draw people and hook them in, it’s those types of names that are going to do it since they don’t know how to make new stars, and they are as close to mainstream as there is if you exclude Ronda herself. That is the biggest match they can put together from that standpoint.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Problem is those names in reality aren’t going to hook anyone in outside of Ronda.

Idea they are big mainstream draws are an illusion, and it is overall bad business. Non-wrestling fans don’t care.

They needed to make the best card possible to convince as many wrestling fans as they can an all women’s card can work and be awesome.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Nikki has actually done that plenty of times. Her last title run was actually decent on that front. That argument applies a lot more for Brie than Nikki but it's different now that Nikki has been out for quite some time.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Is it weird that I can't remember a single Nikki Bella match?

Did she have any big PPV moments that didn't involve a marriage proposal?
Not really. Most of her career was pre-women so it was all skippable as far as wrestling goes. Then she was injured. But she did have a couple of good matches with Charlotte that I remember.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Apparently the direction for Becky vs. Charlotte changed after the reactions, and now instead of there being a defined heel and face in the program, it'll be portrayed as two ex-friends having valid points at going against each other. Becky will be painted as more of an anti-hero now instead of heel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad