Monthly News Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, I really thought Shawn would stay true to his retirement unlike almost all pro wrestlers. He legitimately went out in the best way possible.

That said, if the dude will be getting something stupid to wrestle 1-2 matches, like 500K or more, that's a no brainer.

Reactions: Fro

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I personally feel they are still mistreated. It's almost embarrassing that each feud has to occur because one female was a friend of another females, and now they aren't. Everyone is a friend. That doesn't happen on the Men's side.

I mean...it's only the basis of the best Men's feud this company has had in years.....

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I know we're all supposed to be proud of the women's "revolution" in WWE because they treated them like **** for so long, but it really doesn't surprise me that Evolution isn't selling out or anything. The women aren't that big of draws aside from Ronda. Not even the biggest female draw of the last decade (maybe longer?) could have helped sell this thing out (I'm talking about AJ Lee).

Have Becky beat Charlotte for the title at HIAC, then do a triple threat with Becky, Charlotte and Asuka at Evolution. That would get me more interested. Maybe get Asuka in the same way Charlotte got in the Summerslam match, by beating Charlotte. That would help possibly in turning Charlotte and somewhat save Asuka.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man, I really thought Shawn would stay true to his retirement unlike almost all pro wrestlers. He legitimately went out in the best way possible.

That said, if the dude will be getting something stupid to wrestle 1-2 matches, like 500K or more, that's a no brainer.

Who is to say when they heard the dollar figure Taker didn't talk to HBK and say "Hey man.. that's insane money. Let's do it."

As long as Taker is involved, Shawn seems okay to go back on his word. If it's AJ/Joe/anyone else, he seems to say no. And I 100000% bet he was asked many times.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who is to say when they heard the dollar figure Taker didn't talk to HBK and say "Hey man.. that's insane money. Let's do it."

As long as Taker is involved, Shawn seems okay to go back on his word. If it's AJ/Joe/anyone else, he seems to say no. And I 100000% bet he was asked many times.

It’s believed WWE tried to get him to appear in the Greatest Royal Rumble Match and he said no. There was also that Styles-HBK match that HBK turned down as well.

Seems like the only way he’s doing it is because of the insane money and that Taker is involved and okay with it

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s believed WWE tried to get him to appear in the Greatest Royal Rumble Match and he said no. There was also that Styles-HBK match that HBK turned down as well.

Seems like the only way he’s doing it is because of the insane money and that Taker is involved and okay with it

I know people laugh at HBK when he says he kept his word, but in this regard he really did. He stayed true to Taker and my guess is the ball is in Taker's court on ANYTHING HBK does in that ring.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Can’t believe I thought Taker was retiring and now ****ing HBK is coming out of retirement wtf

Put yourself in a realistic point of view. It's easy to complain as a fan, but if someone walked up to a guy who has been retired for... 10 years? and said "Umm.. they are offering 1m each if you wrestle a tag match." You walk out there. Money talks. It always will.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Put yourself in a realistic point of view. It's easy to complain as a fan, but if someone walked up to a guy who has been retired for... 10 years? and said "Umm.. they are offering 1m each if you wrestle a tag match." You walk out there. Money talks. It always will.

tumblr_m8385xXEiT1r270ozo1_250.gif

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Surprised Saudi Arabia doesn't push for Goldberg more.

You could do Roman Reigns vs. Goldberg at an event like that.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hell, I'm surprised they don't push Vince to bring in guys like The Rock, Stone Cold, etc. You know those Saudi's probably aren't thrilled with today's roster lol

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Rock makes more money in Hollywood than any Saudi money could persuade him I think.

if Austin didn't come back to work someone he likes (Punk) I doubt he would come back cause he's desperate for money.

Goldberg I'm surprised about, yeah. Maybe the Prince just didn't know anything about WCW? lol

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I personally feel they are still mistreated. It's almost embarrassing that each feud has to occur because one female was a friend of another females, and now they aren't. Everyone is a friend. That doesn't happen on the Men's side.

If the women were treated correctly, or this show was put on when women’s wrestling was too hot for people to notice bad booking, it would sell.

It’s a bad card being put on with a bad product. Not surprising it isn’t selling.

It really is a joke how they book these ladies.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Blending the two topics of Shawn Michaels and Evolution, I wish they hadn’t treated it like a you-can-never-wrestle-again-ever retirement and opted for something more similar to what they’ve done with Trish Stratus, rotating her in every few years to work with the next big thing (Beth Phoenix in 2008, Michelle McCool in 2011, now Alexa Bliss) without tarnishing the Sharpshooter match with Lita.

If they hadn’t made such a big deal about never again and instead just treated it like the retirement from his regularly active career, could you imagine the reaction they would have gotten in Summer 2011 when after Kevin Nash wasn’t medically cleared for a match with CM Punk, Triple H called in Best Friend #2 to set things straight? Or if he would have been made to answer for his actions against Daniel Bryan in 2013?

Really no reason it couldn’t have happened other than they used slightly different phrasing in 2010 than in 2006 and have set themselves up to un-retire him for a creatively-empty idea.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Blending the two topics of Shawn Michaels and Evolution, I wish they hadn’t treated it like a you-can-never-wrestle-again-ever retirement and opted for something more similar to what they’ve done with Trish Stratus, rotating her in every few years to work with the next big thing (Beth Phoenix in 2008, Michelle McCool in 2011, now Alexa Bliss) without tarnishing the Sharpshooter match with Lita.

If they hadn’t made such a big deal about never again and instead just treated it like the retirement from his regularly active career, could you imagine the reaction they would have gotten in Summer 2011 when after Kevin Nash wasn’t medically cleared for a match with CM Punk, Triple H called in Best Friend #2 to set things straight? Or if he would have been made to answer for his actions against Daniel Bryan in 2013?

Really no reason it couldn’t have happened other than they used slightly different phrasing in 2010 than in 2006 and have set themselves up to un-retire him for a creatively-empty idea.

I think that's more on Shawn than creative. Vince has tried to get Shawn back multiple times.

Still not totally convinced he's coming back to do matches. When they recapped that segment on Raw, they cut all of that teasing of Michaels out. I think it's most plausible that Shawn and Undertaker just went off in that direction because they don't get scripted.

Oct 18, 2011
Don’t know that this is necessarily a fair assessment. They were banking on the brand for initial sales, not the individuals. The Observer says that “it will end up close to full” which is pretty good for a card that only named Match #2 on, what, Wednesday?

If they actually capitalize on Becky Lynch’s buzz instead of forcing the turn like it looked like they were going to do, they can produce something people want to see. It seemed like they missed the window at SummerSlam, but they have a second chance to build up to a Becky Lynch title win at Evolution as long as they play their cards right at Hell in a Cell. Hopefully the exodus before the Carmella/Flair/Lynch main event match last week inspired them to change their original plan.
Charlotte and Ronda are the only draws, the rest are just JAGs filling spots

Oct 18, 2011
I know people laugh at HBK when he says he kept his word, but in this regard he really did. He stayed true to Taker and my guess is the ball is in Taker's court on ANYTHING HBK does in that ring.
Which is silly Undertaker wouldn't begrudge HBK for trying to support his family. Honestly HBK would be a fool to not take the money unless his heart isn't in it, and im sure he will be since he could make alot of money

And TBH, when I hear a wrestling retirement I just tend that means on a semi regular basis

BTW guys this goes back to the point that Vince is running out of guys like Sting, Taker, Goldberg etc. Kevin Nash isn't far from a big WM match

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
On wrestling retirements: Terry Funk retired before I was born. We're the better part of four decades later, and he's had a match within the last year.

It's like those really long lasting sports managers like Wenger, where you have players on his team that were born after he got the Arsenal job. Except inverted.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Obviously HBK wanted to retire then, or it wouldn't have been a retirement match, but could you imagine the heel run HBK could of had, if he just showed up on RAW the next day, and dismissed that he's retired and what not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad