WWE: Monday Night Raw 203: Goldberg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
putting the title on Bray tonight would be like the Kofi title reign that "everyone wanted" because "pull the trigger. he's hot!"
build your character on TV. make it credible and THEN you go for it.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Put the title on Owens if anyone. Also, I have a sick feeling that WWE is going to cut the severed head lantern.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It’s a monster gimmick basically. Once he has to start to sell and eventually lose, the gimmick loses a ton of steam.

It’s always been the issue with Bray. Monster gimmicks have a shelf life, you need to know when to pull the trigger while they are hot (if built right) then know when to jump off.

They never knew when to pull the trigger on Bray before he ran out of steam.

Absolutely, monster gimmicks can only go so far. For the performer to move on and progress, he needs to start incorporating more and more realistic aspects to his character. Picture the Undertaker or Mankind if their characters never evolved from their initial incarnations. It would of gone stale, and these are two of the best of their generation.

I always go back to this match shortly after WM 32 where they had Bray tag with Reigns. You could tell at this point it was time to start removing the more hooky and theatrical elements of Wyatt's character and become more real. Look at the reaction he gets at the end when he hits his finisher on Del Rio and then points to Sheamus as Reigns spears him. The crowd was ready for more Wyatt and less swamp-man goofiness. Yet the WWE ignored it and he got so stale to the point where he needed to be re-packaged 6-7 years later.

I don't know how far you can take this Friend gimmick. To me, it's even harder to have this version of Wyatt evolve into a more realistic character, which he will need to do to stay relevant long-term. Even his entrance, as great as it is, will wear thin after folks see it a bunch of times. And to tell a story through feud, how many times can you have the Fiend ambush his rival in the ring before it goes stale too. I give them credit for coming up with something fairly original, but wonder if ultimately this character hand-cuffs a very well-rounded performer in Wyatt from becoming as big of a star as he can be.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You could build it to Clash of Champions if you wanted to but it wouldn't have the same impact. Like do you want to make this character meaningful or do you want to treat it like you would anyone that is even remotely warm when it comes to fan response?
you want to make it meaningful flesh out the character. Have the fiend take out everyone who buried Bray , get retribution, build the fear. Make him the unstopable beast.

Or. Give him the title now and by Survivor Series Vince (and mainstream fans) are bored of him and the character dies another WWe hotshot death.

I think the sky is the limit with this character. There are so many directions it can go, heel face or tweener. So many different angles it can take. Let it simmer. Build Bray into the monster he CAN be.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
They already cut the youtube video of his entrance, including any shot of the head

they did.

the full entrance was on youtube. i shared it. i went back to prove you wrong and its only 0:55 long the whole video. with everything edited lol.
god dammit.....

Reactions: Serac

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Absolutely, monster gimmicks can only go so far. For the performer to move on and progress, he needs to start incorporating more and more realistic aspects to his character. Picture the Undertaker or Mankind if their characters never evolved from their initial incarnations. It would of gone stale, and these are two of the best of their generation.

I always go back to this match shortly after WM 32 where they had Bray tag with Reigns. You could tell at this point it was time to start removing the more hooky and theatrical elements of Wyatt's character and become more real. Look at the reaction he gets at the end when he hits his finisher on Del Rio and then points to Sheamus as Reigns spears him. The crowd was ready for more Wyatt and less swamp-man goofiness. Yet the WWE ignored it and he got so stale to the point where he needed to be re-packaged 6-7 years later.

I don't know how far you can take this Friend gimmick. To me, it's even harder to have this version of Wyatt evolve into a more realistic character, which he will need to do to stay relevant long-term. Even his entrance, as great as it is, will wear thin after folks see it a bunch of times. And to tell a story through feud, how many times can you have the Fiend ambush his rival in the ring before it goes stale too. I give them credit for coming up with something fairly original, but wonder if ultimately this character hand-cuffs a very well-rounded performer in Wyatt from becoming as big of a star as he can be.

Yeah, Vince's (or Creative's.....well, ok, just Vince's) complete and utter mishandling of Bray Wyatt's character over the years was tragic.

Last night was refreshing, his first match in damn near a year and he didn't disappoint. That said, there are some concerns like you mentioned.

The biggest one I see is that you've removed his voice, which was a massive part of what got him so over with the fans in the first place. I doubt he'll be cutting many promos with that mask on, and when he's Funhouse Wyatt the vibe will be totally different.

It's great that he's back and I dig the entrance/look/moveset, but once again I'm concerned that Vince won't know what to do with him and he'll get buried again.

Reactions: BruinDust

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
You guys are fooling yourselves if you think Vince will ever put the Universal title on The Fiend and his puppets.I like Bray too,but i dont think it will happen.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
damn....

"WYATT Introduced the Fiend in 2015"
in this video Wyatt tells the viewer a horror story, speaking about "the man in the woods" and the "leader" - telling a "ghost story" about him going off hunting and finding something that he thought was a bear.
The Eater of Worlds discusses his intrigue and speaks of a beast that sounds very familiar..
He had no pigment in his skin, pale as a pearl. He had thin, yellow hairs running all the way down to his knees.
Now, that sounds familiar. The Fiend mask is ghastly white and Wyatt now has blonde dreadlocks...
The former WWE Champion goes on to say this beast was carrying in alligator with one hand, before describing him further...
His eyes were yellow like a cat.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
you want to make it meaningful flesh out the character. Have the fiend take out everyone who buried Bray , get retribution, build the fear. Make him the unstopable beast.

Or. Give him the title now and by Survivor Series Vince (and mainstream fans) are bored of him and the character dies another WWe hotshot death.

I think the sky is the limit with this character. There are so many directions it can go, heel face or tweener. So many different angles it can take. Let it simmer. Build Bray into the monster he CAN be.

You can flesh out the character with the title in his hands. He can get revenge on anyone with the title in his hand. Him having the title will have no bearing on whether or not people get bored with him and the character dies. Putting the title on him is for the company's sake more than anything else. If you think the sky is the limit with the character then you can't believe that giving him the title is some death sentence. You don't let monsters simmer. Monsters go in and break shit and make a big impact and quickly. Simmering Bray in this instance will only make people move on elsewhere unless there's some meaning in what he's doing. If he's going after the likes of Miz and Zayn where there is very little meaningful history then you're just missing out. He gets more out of the segments where he's putting down Angle than he would out of a month or two with either of them.

I mean, reality is that Bray's dead regardless but I'd rather he go out in a blaze of glory instead of running the same stuff they did with Braun and never paying it off when it would've mattered. For characters like this, you assist in losing its luster by building to a predictable moment. Bray's title win should be a surprise. And while I don't think his character needs it now, he will need it at some point and I'd rather be proactive with it than wait until it's too late like they did with his previous version.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seth got a good pop

He’s got some momentum back, I’ll admit. Hopefully they don’t duck it up

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of Seth Rollins fans out there all of a sudden, wonder where they came from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad