Confirmed with Link: Monahan + 2025 conditional 1st round pick to MTL for future considerations

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think most here are taking a wait and see approach. Any optimism has only been fueled from Hughes’ positive feedback during his due diligence.

And, I like KH, but his press conferences have more been publicity than fact information sessions. Like I said I like him, a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's very much exaggerating when he says the reports of Monahan's health are optimistic.

Remember after we acquired Tyler Pitlick, he said Tyler Pitlick wasn't just a throw in and they got him because they want on this team.

Monahan also seems pretty optimistic. I hope he is healthy enough to salvage his career.

Monahan is a pending ufa lookong for a contract. So hard for me to also take his public pronouncements as truthful statements. But yes, I hope he can find full health again.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The buyout window has passed, so the Habs can’t go that route and I’m not sure why they would with only 1 year left on his contract.
Good point.
But I seen him as a walking buy out in Calgary the the last two seasons. Some games he looked just terrible. A shadow of his former self.

Reactions: Runner77

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Yup definitely helps, clearest expansion I've read thus far. :thumbu:

Cheers! (btw, Asterix/Obelix...classic! used to read a lot of Asterix/Obelix, Benoit Brisefer, Lucky Luke, Scrameustache or the one with the long tail!, and Tintin in french....as a kid...brings back lots of memories!!). Right now I need some of that "juice" that Obelix used to drink for special powers anytime I decide to re-read the charts/conditions from the Monahan acquisition!!

Here (below) are the simplified best case scenarios...I think?!! (any Hab fans out there please feel free to correct...probably some mistakes or misunderstandings!! I'm not a sharp lawyer like Hughes!!):

2024 (1st rnd pick...20th to 32nd...it cannot be better than 20th..I assume/guess!?, so...19th overall or better it stays with Calgary...correct me if I'm wrong!?).

OR

2025 (1st rnd pick from Calgary or Florida + potential 4th rnd pick... 1st rnd pick can be anywhere from 2nd overall and lower ; it cannot be a 1st overall pick? And/or, maybe Calgary's or Florida's 1st rnd pick may be top 10 protected?! )

OR

2026 (1st rnd pick from Calgary or Florida + 3rd rnd pick from 2025 ; it cannot be a 1st overall pick? And/or, maybe Calgary's or Florida's 1st rnd pick may be top 10 protected?!)

Last edited:
Reactions: snakeye

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
And, I like KH, but his press conferences have more been publicity than fact information sessions. Like I said I like him, a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's very much exaggerating when he says the reports of Monahan's health are optimistic.

Remember after we acquired Tyler Pitlick, he said Tyler Pitlick wasn't just a throw in and they got him because they want on this team.

Monahan is a pending ufa lookong for a contract. So hard for me to also take his public pronouncements as truthful statements. But yes, I hope he can find full health again.
Come on, what's he going to say?

"Yeah we never wanted this Pitlick guy but Calgary said we had to take him, so he's here for a bit I guess."

Reactions: Guhlay and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Come on, what's he going to say?

"Yeah we never wanted this Pitlick guy but Calgary said we had to take him, so he's here for a bit I guess."

Oh abaolutely. and similarly, with Monahan he's going to talk all positive, because he wants to flip him at the deadline. So given that, what's he going to say: there's some good news, but some bad news from the doctors. No, he's going to say: there's reason for optimism based on the doctor's report, or there are a lot of positives in the doctor's reports, etc...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good point.
But I seen him as a walking buy out in Calgary the the last two seasons. Some games he looked just terrible. A shadow of his former self.

We'll get a chance to see how much his last two seasons were affected by injury. Because according to what they say, he played with a lot of pain the last two years. And now they say he's feeling the best he has in a few years.

It was similar to Josh Anderson, who missed an entire year to a shoulder injury before he was traded to Montreal. A lot of people were complaining they acquired a broken player. And Anderson's been good for Montreal the last two seasons. His overall production isn't blowing anyone away, but the guy can put the puck in the net. He had 17 goals in 52 games his first year here (prorated to 26 goals). And last year he had 19 in 69 games (prorated to 22 goals). And he adds the physical element and some things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

So hopefully, like Anderson, Monahan's injuries are behind him and he'll be better than he has been the last few seasons. Because at the least, he can increase his value for a trade and at most, he shows he can be a key piece going forward to help with the accelerated rebuild.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We'll get a chance to see how much his last two seasons were affected by injury. Because according to what they say, he played with a lot of pain the last two years. And now they say he's feeling the best he has in a few years.

It was similar to Josh Anderson, who missed an entire year to a shoulder injury before he was traded to Montreal. A lot of people were complaining they acquired a broken player. And Anderson's been good for Montreal the last two seasons. His overall production isn't blowing anyone away, but the guy can put the puck in the net. He had 17 goals in 52 games his first year here (prorated to 26 goals). And last year he had 19 in 69 games (prorated to 22 goals). And he adds the physical element and some things that don't show up on the stat sheet.

So hopefully, like Anderson, Monahan's injuries are behind him and he'll be better than he has been the last few seasons. Because at the least, he can increase his value for a trade and at most, he shows he can be a key piece going forward to help with the accelerated rebuild.
I don’t know what to think about Monahan. I can’t wrap my head around him overcoming two hip labrum surgeries at age 27 while continuing a physical sport.

Anything he offers will be a bonus. I can’t see the Habs investing in a player like this long term, that injury record gives pause. I’ll be happy if they flip him at the trading deadline.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

That would be great......and yes "hopefully"
I stand by my prediction that Monaghan is done. Would love to be wrong.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That would be great......and yes "hopefully"
I stand by my prediction that Monaghan is done. Would love to be wrong.

Flames fans told me between periods Monahan would have to pop his hip back into place. It doesn't look good for him.

• Wow

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Here (below) are the simplified best case scenarios...I think?!! (any Hab fans out there please feel free to correct...probably some mistakes or misunderstandings!! I'm not a sharp lawyer like Hughes!!):

2024 (1st rnd pick...20th to 32nd...it cannot be better than 20th..I assume/guess!?, so...19th overall or better it stays with Calgary...correct me if I'm wrong!?).

OR

2025 (1st rnd pick from Calgary or Florida + potential 4th rnd pick... 1st rnd pick can be anywhere from 2nd overall and lower ; it cannot be a 1st overall pick? And/or, maybe Calgary's or Florida's 1st rnd pick may be top 10 protected?! )

OR

2026 (1st rnd pick from Calgary or Florida + 3rd rnd pick from 2025 ; it cannot be a 1st overall pick? And/or, maybe Calgary's or Florida's 1st rnd pick may be top 10 protected?!)

2024 - you have it backwards. If the pick is between 20-32 then the Habs can opt to get the Flames pick. If the pick is between 1-19th then it pushes to 2025.

2025 - The easy way to look at it is assume that both Flames and Panthers make the playoffs. If that's the case then the Flames would get the Panthers 1st round pick and then the Habs would get the better of the 2 picks. (so say Flames pick is 25th OA and the panthers 20th OA, we would get the panthers 20th OA pick from the Flames)

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
2024 - you have it backwards. If the pick is between 20-32 then the Habs can opt to get the Flames pick. If the pick is between 1-19th then it pushes to 2025.

2025 - The easy way to look at it is assume that both Flames and Panthers make the playoffs. If that's the case then the Flames would get the Panthers 1st round pick and then the Habs would get the better of the 2 picks. (so say Flames pick is 25th OA and the panthers 20th OA, we would get the panthers 20th OA pick from the Flames)
Thanks for the info (clarifies things more).
And, we would maybe get a bonus 4th rnd pick in 2025...and if it goes to 2026...an additional 3rd rnd pick would be included (from the 2025 Draft)...from what I saw in conditions.
Cheers

Reactions: montreal

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You have to admire that level of courage. Baseball players go on IR if they have blisters. Soccer players require burial whether or not they are injured.
Being a hockey fan (and former player) colors my appreciation of soccer, which is why I watch the Premier League. Can't stand the theatrics of some other leagues. Hockey players are a completely different animal.

But if the provinces were cars ....Ontario has the worst driver behind the wheel. By fat.
Apt description of Ontario Premier. :skeptic:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad