Confirmed with Link: Monahan + 2025 conditional 1st round pick to MTL for future considerations

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Short-term financial pain for who though?

I swear some people think players salaries is coming out of their own pockets.

This was great asset management, granted, it's generally difficult for Habs fans to recognize because it's been such a rare occurence over the years.
Short term pain in the sense that the move limits the team’s manoeuvrability financially-wise as long as Monahan’s excessive contract affects Montreal’s cap.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Short-term financial pain for who though?

I swear some people think players salaries is coming out of their own pockets.

This was great asset management, granted, it's generally difficult for Habs fans to recognize because it's been such a rare occurence over the years.
Yes. The only thing they are losing is the chance to spend that money on something else. It is highly unlikely that they could get something better than a 1st round pick for that cap space.

Reactions: 417

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Short term pain in the sense that the move limits the team’s manoeuvrability financially-wise as long as Monahan’s excessive contract affects Montreal’s cap.
The contract only affects this season. And probably the only thing they might do is trade for DuBois in the new year. And since half the season would be over they would only have to fit about 3 mil under the cap this season.

Reactions: CoopersFalls

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't actually believe that, I don't believe that for any team.

Any team that wants to sign or trade for a player, will always figure out a way to get it done.

Hell we JUST watched the Flames find a way a create cap space to sign Kadri...they didn't just look at their cap situation and say "Kadri really wants to sign here but gosh darn It, we don't have any cap space so we're shit out of luck".

As you stated earlier, the Habs are in a situation where they can afford to carry this kind of contract because well, the benefit is clear.

If ever the Habs find themselves in a situation where they need flexibility, they'll do like all other NHL teams and find a way to make it happen.

Yes. The only thing they are losing is the chance to spend that money on something else. It is highly unlikely that they could get something better than a 1st round pick for that cap space.
The only person this hurts is Molson's pockets in the form of having to spend more salary dollars this year.

But that's mitigated by the 1st round pick + the fact his contract comes off the books next summer.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't actually believe that, I don't believe that for any team.

Any team that wants to sign or trade for a player, will always figure out a way to get it done.

Hell we JUST watched the Flames find a way a create cap space to sign Kadri...they didn't just look at their cap situation and say "Kadri really wants to sign here but gosh darn It, we don't have any cap space so we're shit out of luck".

As you stated earlier, the Habs are in a situation where they can afford to carry this kind of contract because well, the benefit is clear.

If ever the Habs find themselves in a situation where they need flexibility, they'll do like all other NHL teams and find a way to make it happen.

The only person this hurts is Molson's pockets in the form of having to spend more salary dollars this year.

But that's mitigated by the 1st round pick + the fact his contract comes off the books next summer.

Even for Molson, it's a savings because hes paying monahan 6 Mil, rather than paying price 10 Mil.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
The conditions on that 1st is flabbergasting to read. I think I got it but had to read it a few times last night. It makes the Dvorak trade conditions look like a little baby :laugh:

That doesn't really count cause it was basically a 3 way trade where we traded Romanov out and brought Dach in. At this stage, I wish they listed it as a 3 way trade.

Haha!! For sure!! Those conditions have to be read at least twice! (or a few times!). Our GM Hughes is like a very sharp lawyer!! Very smart deal for our Habs, and...we can still get something for Monahan at the trade deadline (or before it). I'm hoping for another 1st rnd pick (hope! hope!) or a 2nd rnd pick...or at worst a 3rd or 4th rnd pick. (another scenario: Monahan plays well as a C or LW and re-signs with our Habs on a cheap 2-3 yr deal? maybe this is also a possibility).

A possible 2024 1st rnd pick is the earliest to see what we get from this trade...or we wait till 2025 or 2026. And, then there's the possibility of a 3rd or 4th rnd pick added to this deal! (yeah! lots to read!!). I just hope we get a prospect(s) with star potential (or close). Or...this 1st rnd pick may be used in a future trade/flip (ex: three-way trade for Dach!)...as usual we'll have to wait and see!

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Not right now. Habs need to tank this year. After this season... they can trade good young asset for a player like that.
Yup. This could be the first time (in a long long time) that our Habs can have major CENTER quality-depth...via the 2023 DRAFT (and maybe even through the 2024 DRAFT). This is our chance. Gotta go for it.
We have to remember...Bedard is not the only quality CENTER in the 2023 draft. There are other quality centers in the 2023 DRAFT.

Suzuki ; __?__ (2023 Draft) ; __?__(2024 DRAFT) ; Dvorak ; Dach ; Evans ; Monahan.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
You can't win all trades though. I mean yeah you can but you likely wont build a cup winning team trying to do so. At one point you have to accept you'll need to overpay for the last missing pieces. If you need a center other teams know it and they'll see you coming from a mile and they'll expect to be compensated for helping you. ROR is a guy we should have been ready to overpay for (with prospects and picks). With ROR in the lineup the Weber acquisition would have made lot more sense and i'd say we probably have a cup by now.
ROR was offered for Peohling, Bergevin declined..

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018

I'm just wondering if we have a chance at a top 10-15 overall pick? Maybe our chances are higher in 2025? 2026? The 2024 pick might end up a 20th to 32nd overall...if Calgary stays healthy and wins a lot, but with many injuries or subpar performances the 2024 1st rounder may end up a top 10-15 pick...you never know?!

"All in all, if the reported conditions are correct, the Canadiens have the potential to receive one of the following five outcomes:

2024 Calgary first-round pick

2025 Calgary first-round pick + potential 2025 Calgary fourth-round pick

2025 Florida first-round pick

2026 Calgary first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick

2026 Florida first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick"

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

I'm just wondering if we have a chance at a top 10-15 overall pick? Maybe our chances are higher in 2025? 2026? The 2024 pick might end up a 20th to 32nd overall...if Calgary stays healthy and wins a lot, but with many injuries or subpar performances the 2024 1st rounder may end up a top 10-15 pick...you never know?!

"All in all, if the reported conditions are correct, the Canadiens have the potential to receive one of the following five outcomes:

2024 Calgary first-round pick

2025 Calgary first-round pick + potential 2025 Calgary fourth-round pick

2025 Florida first-round pick

2026 Calgary first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick

2026 Florida first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick"
How can we get all of those? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I’m impressed. He’s doing what many of us have suggested for years, using cap space as a currency to get picks, prospects while rebuilding. Good stuff.

And the funny part is, for years, MB had actual cap space to make these kinds of moves, but he only did it once in the Armia trade.

Meanwhile, Hughes is up against the cap and doesn't have much wiggle room and he still manages to use cap space to his advantage.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Even for Molson, it's a savings because hes paying monahan 6 Mil, rather than paying price 10 Mil.

This is not really true, the budget is obviously max cap, and they will be very close when you factor in Dach and whoever else needs to be signed (i forget, but there is another). It is not as simple as you make it out to be.

Reactions: DAChampion

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is not really true, the budget is obviously max cap, and they will be very close when you factor in Dach and whoever else needs to be signed (i forget, but there is another). It is not as simple as you make it out to be.

The monahan move could not be facilitated without price going on LTIR.

If that 10.5 Mil stays on the cap, thats a real game changer.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The other is Primeau, but he will be in Laval, so we don't have to worry about his cap hit.

With Price going on LTIR, Montreal will be able to spend up to $93M on the cap. They are currently at $88.625M. They have another $4.375M available to them at the moment. Part of that will be spend on Dach.

All this according to CapFriendly.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Haha!! For sure!! Those conditions have to be read at least twice! (or a few times!). Our GM Hughes is like a very sharp lawyer!! Very smart deal for our Habs, and...we can still get something for Monahan at the trade deadline (or before it). I'm hoping for another 1st rnd pick (hope! hope!) or a 2nd rnd pick...or at worst a 3rd or 4th rnd pick. (another scenario: Monahan plays well as a C or LW and re-signs with our Habs on a cheap 2-3 yr deal? maybe this is also a possibility).

A possible 2024 1st rnd pick is the earliest to see what we get from this trade...or we wait till 2025 or 2026. And, then there's the possibility of a 3rd or 4th rnd pick added to this deal! (yeah! lots to read!!). I just hope we get a prospect(s) with star potential (or close). Or...this 1st rnd pick may be used in a future trade/flip (ex: three-way trade for Dach!)...as usual we'll have to wait and see!

Seen someone make this chart. It helps!

E6AXzJg.jpg

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The other is Primeau, but he will be in Laval, so we don't have to worry about his cap hit.

With Price going on LTIR, Montreal will be able to spend up to $93M on the cap. They are currently at $88.625M. They have another $4.375M available to them at the moment. Part of that will be spend on Dach.

All this according to CapFriendly.
Byron's 3.4M might also be LTIR at season's start (if not all season long). That's 7.775M in potential Cap space, before Dach's new contract. We might have up to 5M for a waiver wire pick up at RD?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Byron's 3.4M might also be LTIR at season's start (if not all season long). That's 7.775M in potential Cap space, before Dach's new contract. We might have up to 5M for a waiver wire pick up at RD?

Yea, if Byron starts the year on LTIR, they will have that extra $3.4M in cap relief on top of Price's $10.5M.

But if they don't need that extra 3.4M, then they'll surely just prefer to keep only Price on LTIR and keep Byron on regular IR (which would still count against the cap). And that would also depend on how much time Byron will miss.

Even with only Price on LTIR, they still have over $4M in cap space. It won't all go to Dach. So they will still have a couple million in space for other potential moves like a waiver pick up.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00