Confirmed with Link: Monahan + 2025 conditional 1st round pick to MTL for future considerations

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Seen someone make this chart. It helps!

E6AXzJg.jpg

Is that chart correct? Do we get the worse of the two picks in 2025? I thought it was the better.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

I'm just wondering if we have a chance at a top 10-15 overall pick? Maybe our chances are higher in 2025? 2026? The 2024 pick might end up a 20th to 32nd overall...if Calgary stays healthy and wins a lot, but with many injuries or subpar performances the 2024 1st rounder may end up a top 10-15 pick...you never know?!

"All in all, if the reported conditions are correct, the Canadiens have the potential to receive one of the following five outcomes:

2024 Calgary first-round pick

2025 Calgary first-round pick + potential 2025 Calgary fourth-round pick

2025 Florida first-round pick

2026 Calgary first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick

2026 Florida first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick"
I have not read the entire thread but this trade and all its conditions is a great move, very Sam Pollockian of Hughes.
First being a 2025 pick (potentially 2024 or 2026 it gives Calgary and Fla time to become bad so it may end up being a higher than expected pick.
Second and maybe most importantly it sets him up for future deadline deals with Calgary. Calgary is in contend mode and will likely look to add at the deadline, KH has effectively put a lien on their 2024,2025 and 2026 1st round picks.

The option to change make it the 2024 pick if its a pick between 20 and 32 is brilliant. At 1st glance you say why did he add that he KH won't exercise it as the 2025/26 pick options will likely be better. But it makes it hard for the Flames to trade that pick now without another crap ton of conditions all affected by the rest of the conditions in this trade. The one team that it (2024 pick) can be traded to easily is the Habs. Maybe something around Drouin, Dandonov or even Monahan to Cal for their 2024 1st rounder at this years deadline.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yea, if Byron starts the year on LTIR, they will have that extra $3.4M in cap relief on top of Price's $10.5M.

But if they don't need that extra 3.4M, then they'll surely just prefer to keep only Price on LTIR and keep Byron on regular IR (which would still count against the cap). And that would also depend on how much time Byron will miss.

Even with only Price on LTIR, they still have over $4M in cap space. It won't all go to Dach. So they will still have a couple million in space for other potential moves like a waiver pick up.
Sure, but that limits the choice off the waiver wire. If a real deal comes up, like a quality, 4M RHD that they try to sneak through the waiver wire, hoping nobody can afford him, we would need to be able to pounce on that.

Not counting on such an occasion, but I'm sure you catch my drift...

I have not read the entire thread but this trade and all its conditions is a great move, very Sam Pollockian of Hughes.
First being a 2025 pick (potentially 2024 or 2026 it gives Calgary and Fla time to become bad so it may end up being a higher than expected pick.
Second and maybe most importantly it sets him up for future deadline deals with Calgary. Calgary is in contend mode and will likely look to add at the deadline, KH has effectively put a lien on their 2024,2025 and 2026 1st round picks.

The option to change make it the 2024 pick if its a pick between 20 and 32 is brilliant. At 1st glance you say why did he add that he KH won't exercise it as the 2025/26 pick options will likely be better. But it makes it hard for the Flames to trade that pick now without another crap ton of conditions all affected by the rest of the conditions in this trade. The one team that it (2024 pick) can be traded to easily is the Habs. Maybe something around Drouin, Dandonov or even Monahan to Cal for their 2024 1st rounder at this years deadline.
Yeah, a bit bizarre that CAL would handicap itself like that, unless it absolutely refuses to trade another 1st round pick in the next 4 years, other than the one Montreal ends up selecting.

angusyoung

start the party!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
If he's good to go at training camp,should make for an interesting camp.Lots of players looking to earn a spot. Price going LTIR really gives the Habs a lot of maneuverability.

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sure, but that limits the choice off the waiver wire. If a real deal comes up, like a quality, 4M RHD that they try to sneak through the waiver wire, hoping nobody can afford him, we would need to be able to pounce on that.

Not counting on such an occasion, but I'm sure you catch my drift...

I know what you mean. But they will have enough room to claim someone off waivers even without placing Byron on LTIR.

So with only Price being placed on LTIR, the Habs have a little under $4.4M available. Dach will probably take between $2-2.5M of that $4.4M. If Dach's cap hit is $2.5M, the Habs will still have about $1.8-1.9M in cap space if they want to use any of that on waivers down the road. If Dach's cap hit is lower than $2.5M, then they'll have a little more room for any potential waiver pick up.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
With Treliving saying that he expects, adding to the recent reports, that Monahan should be healthy to start the season which he hasn’t been for a long time.

I think the chances are good that the Habs will get a fine player on top of the 1st pick. What a trade for Hughes.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Seen someone make this chart. It helps!

E6AXzJg.jpg
Wow! What a chart! Cheers!
(it's still a bit of a head-scratcher!! I just hope if we're gonna wait till 2025 or 2026...if...I hope it's a top 10 overall pick with a 3rd round pick, as well...for all that waiting and head-scratching!!haha!!).

YOUTUBE: soon someone will make a video explaining the conditions via a chart like the one above...and then someone else will make a video re-explaining the explanations for the conditions!! lol!

Anyways...the chart helps! (but I'm still looking at it!).

And, we also have this link (below) for those who don't like charts!?:

Last edited:

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018

That's not a bad idea...a (for example) Drouin (or Dandonov or Hoffman) offered at the Trade Deadline for Calgary's 2024 1st rnd pick (likely between 20th to 32nd). And, the conditions just move towards 2025 or 2026. So, their 2024 1st rounder is ours...and we also get (either) their 2025 or 2026 1st rnder (or Florida's!).

Another scenario: Kadri (CENTER) gets injured before the TRADE DEADLINE ...Monahan (CENTER) rejuvenates his career (while a Hab)...gets traded back to Calgary for Calgary's 1st rnd pick (2023)...!!!

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
With Treliving saying that he expects, adding to the recent reports, that Monahan should be healthy to start the season which he hasn’t been for a long time.

I think the chances are good that the Habs will get a fine player on top of the 1st pick. What a trade for Hughes.
That's the way I see it as well, though this is probably a contrarian view on this board. Much depends on the quality of his rehab post-surgery. If he is skating four times a week, as he claims in his interview on TheAthletic, his rehab must be progressing decently. Not sure if he is taking contact yet though.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Is that chart correct? Do we get the worse of the two picks in 2025? I thought it was the better.
It boils down to this:

Detailed table:

2025CAL not top 10CAL top 10CAL 1st OVR
FLO 17-32MTL gets best pickMTL gets FLO pickMTL gets FLO pick
FLO top 10MTL gets CAL pickMTL gets CAL pick except 1st OVRMTL gets best 2026 unprotected pick + CAL 3rd round pick
FLO 11-16MTL gets CAL pick + CAL 4th round pick (if FLO pick not top 10, better than CAL, and was traded)MTL gets CAL pick except 1st OVRMTL gets best 2026 unprotected pick + CAL 3rd round pick

*edits: corrections in the table.
It's not that complicated if you look at it like a matrix.

The only thing not included here is the option of taking the 2024 CAL pick if it's 20-32.

To put it simply, if FLO is a lottery team in 2025, we're in business because the CAL pick is only top 1 OVR protected. In 2025, Florida would have to be a lottery team AND Calgary needs to have 1st OVR for the pick to transfer to 2026 (unprotected best of the 2). The core trade is in 2025.

Reactions: Deam78

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

So has it just been injuries the last few years as to why he's been junk? Genuinely asking.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
All trades of Hughes so far is very good.

My favorites are Dach, Toffoli and Barron.

I really liked Dach in 2019 draft, he still have high potential.

For Toffoli, we got Heineman a very good prospect and a 1st who become, Mesar, a really good prospect too. Both have good potential.

Justin Barron is a solid young player like Kirby Dach, with high potential, both are 1st round pick at their draft, potential to be a top 4 defenseman.

We got Lane Hutson for Brett Kulak too, that's pretty unreal.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
How to get first over all pick again.

Don't play Carey Price.

The two seasons Carey missed, the sorry ass rosters put up the worst winning percentage in league (while 31 was out). 2016 and 2022.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
He's not even healthy yet and people are saying, now that he's healthy again...
Some guys are "done" because they never get "healthy" enough again.
Pure speculation on my part. But I think he's a walking buy out.

If he is, the trade is still worth it as a one-year cap dump for a 1st rounder. It’s not as if Habs are going anywhere this season or that they absolutely need him.
Agreed

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad