Confirmed with Link: Monahan + 2025 conditional 1st round pick to MTL for future considerations

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
So what are future considerations exactly? How is it even decided? They come back and ask for a favour on a deal?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
#91 for Monahan. Not worn since Gomez
disappointed.gif

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The expectation for monahan should be zero.

If he delivers anything more than that, consider it a bonus.
I don’t think that the team in acquiring Monahan had any realistic expectations of any significant on ice contributions. It was all about the draft choice. If either party in the transaction did have such expectations, the level of Monahan’s potential on ice contribution would have been woven into the already Machivellian range of conditions affecting the draft choice the Canadiens were to ultimately receive in return for assuming Monahan’s ruinous contract.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Why was Monahan acquired again ? To get a first rounder in 2-3 years only ?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
HuGo believe a recuperated Monahan on his contract year under the tutelage of MSL will increase probability of opening up a couple of options:

- form a longer term top-2C duo w Suzuki
Or
- deadline fodder to accumulate assets (picks and/or prospects)

1st round asset from Cgy should simply be viewed as an asset that will be used for immediate help at some point in the next 12-36 months

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
To add a veteran center to mentor kids coming up
Hope he can get back to close to his former self after successful surgeries
Center who can win faceoffs and good on the PP
Possibly flip at the deadline and add even more picks on top of a future 1st from an aging team.
Depth at center if they do trade Dvorak for even more assets

Can't think of why he wouldn't have added him. Trade has literally no downside and several upsides.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
...probably in the same way it affects my chances of making it with Alexandra Daddario...
Well given she is married now...your chance are likely pretty low. :p

Not just here, I see a lot of people saying they hope he has a good year and then he can be traded at the deadline. Personally given he turns only 28 as the season starts, if he has a great season I would be totally for signing him to a reasonable contract longer term.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Well given she is married now...your chance are likely pretty low. :p

Not just here, I see a lot of people saying they hope he has a good year and then he can be traded at the deadline. Personally given he turns only 28 as the season starts, if he has a great season I would be totally for signing him to a reasonable contract longer term.

...the issue is that Monahan's game has been on a STEEP decline due to his injuries, so while the hope is that he at least rebounds somewhat, I don't see many holding their breath that he goes back to the player he was...

...oh, and Daddario is still on the Bucket List, despite the fact that she's 6 years older than my oldest daughter (yup, dirty old man and proud of it :naughty:)...Hollywood marriages and all that...:laugh:

Jul 6, 2016
To add a veteran center to mentor kids coming up
Hope he can get back to close to his former self after successful surgeries
Center who can win faceoffs and good on the PP
Possibly flip at the deadline and add even more picks on top of a future 1st from an aging team.
Depth at center if they do trade Dvorak for even more assets

Can't think of why he wouldn't have added him. Trade has literally no downside and several upsides.
Very expensive contract. A guy lié Statsny was signed for 1,5 and he is way healthier
than Monahan.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Very expensive contract. A guy lié Statsny was signed for 1,5 and he is way healthier
than Monahan.
Who cares? We still have ample cap room and this isn't a competitive team.

There isn't a scenario Habs are currently in where signing Stastny for a one year contract is a better option than Monahan for a year and a 1st. Not to mention that if Monahan has a semi decent year, he'll be worth more at the trade deadline. Even if he's not traded but shows he can be a good 3rd line center, he can still be resigned and have years left to offer.

It's a complete no brainer.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Who cares? We still have ample cap room and this isn't a competitive team.

There isn't a scenario Habs are currently in where signing Stastny for a one year contract is a better option than Monahan for a year and a 1st. Not to mention that if Monahan has a semi decent year, he'll be worth more at the trade deadline. Even if he's not traded but shows he can be a good 3rd line center, he can still be resigned and have years left to offer.

It's a complete no brainer.
I like a few scenarios revolving around Monahan coming back towards at least part of the level of play he had earlier on in his career.

He could be flipped and the deal for taking on his salary for the year, and holding on to half his Cap hit at the trade deadline could easily be a 1st round pick in 2024,. 2025 or 2026, plus, perhaps, a valuable 2nd round pick in 2023.

Otherwise, if he's back part way and looks like he can still score as an exploitation line's LW, he could be an interesting addition to the roster longer term at a decent price tag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad