Dreger: (Mod warning post 661) Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st and to visit teams startin

Status
Not open for further replies.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I haven't done the research, but is there currently a forward in the NHL making 8M+ that never scored 30 goals in a season?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Your right it would have cost the leafs 9 instead of let's say 10.5 when he signs his new deal. That's the way she goes sometimes
A slight correction, if Marner signs for 10.5, and if he does not get an offer sheet for more, and if maybe if he doesn't feel too disrespected that he goes somewhere else. As Dreger noted, he would be shocked if Marner, Ferris, his dad, and another are not on a plane on July 26 visiting other teams.

That's the way she goes sometimes. Nothing to worry about. Marner is going to be paid. I am sure Dubas would want a redo here. <chuckle>

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
A slight correction, if Marner signs for 10.5, and if he does not get an offer sheet for more, and if maybe if he doesn't feel too disrespected that he goes somewhere else. As Dreger noted, he would be shocked if Marner, Ferris, his dad, and another are not on a plane on July 26 visiting other teams.

That's the way she goes sometimes. Nothing to worry about. Marner is going to be paid. I am sure Dubas would want a redo here. <chuckle>
Almost like dreger is the middle man for the Marner camp leaking out numbers like that. It's just part of the game before Marner and the leafs work out a deal

habsrule22

May 10, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
Can you imagine if Nylanders agent said this? Nylander only said that he wanted to stay a leaf and he was crucified for being greedy.

Yep, can't overpay a 9m player by 2.5 mil.

Even if marner wants to compare himself to Toronto signings Dubas should be explaining that goal scoring centers > assist machine wingers.

Dubas isn't the guy who signed Marleau to a 3rd year or Zaitzev to a 7 year deal. That guy is in Long Island giving away bad contracts now.

Marner also wouldn't have scored 94 points so it would be double savings!

Wasn t Dubas with the club when these deals were made If he didn t agree with those decisions he should have said something then Apparently Shanahan liked Dubas more then Lou and he could have gotten the GM job then

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Almost like dreger is the middle man for the Marner camp leaking out numbers like that. It's just part of the game before Marner and the leafs work out a deal
Dreger is reporting what Marner's connections have told him. How is he a middle man? It's his job to report what is shared to him. Sure. Marner may sign with the Leafs. Who knows He may sign elsewhere or He may not sign at all. All we know is it is not going to be 9M like last summer. And that is the point.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Keyword bolded. Per latest he's looking between 10-11.25 at max term. That's the rebate for Toronto, elsewhere he's looking for 11.4-12.9
i know what hes looking for. the poster i responded to said 9.5 but it was actually 9 million he was starting with.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Your right it would have cost the leafs 9 instead of let's say 10.5 when he signs his new deal. That's the way she goes sometimes

And that's if Marner even wanted to negotiate. Most players know it is worth it to play the extra season, let the cap go up, and have an extra season on their resume and get more cash.

The whole career ending injury thing is really, really overblown.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I haven't done the research, but is there currently a forward in the NHL making 8M+ that never scored 30 goals in a season?
From Philly...Voracek.

And it took Giroux 10 years to do it and did it once in his career. People love goals, but the guys who create all those goals are just as important.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Paying over 22 million a year for two centers is just plain stupidity, and we are not even talking about top3 centers in the game. Dubais is the one to blame/thank for the situation the Leafs are in. Not Nylander or Marner or their agents or parents.

It's not a bad situation at all. It's actually a pretty good one. Way better than not having any top line centers.

It's the GMs job to build around the strengths. The tricky part is finally arriving for Dubas.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
No it wouldn't. Leafs are in a win now position. By the time they see a real ROI on those picks Tavares could already be on his decline.
Besides the picks, cap space opens up to sign FA’s to contribute currently while stocking the cupboard. I still wouldn’t do it but there is more than just picks.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And that's if Marner even wanted to negotiate. Most players know it is worth it to play the extra season, let the cap go up, and have an extra season on their resume and get more cash.

The whole career ending injury thing is really, really overblown.
There were reports that in the summer when they talked, Marner's side wanted that 9 million and the Leafs said no. So they played out the season.

9 million last summer for a sub 70 point guy is understandable being leery of. The Leafs gambled and lost when it came to cap hit, but win because Marner showed how great he can be.

Pay your stars, cut from the mid-depth.

Reactions: FourRings

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
It is possible to trade draft picks for players.

So you're going to trade those picks for players worse than Marner, or in a best case scenario you get the same production you'd get from 16... you're in the same exact position having to pay out the same exact expensive contract

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Dreger is reporting what Marner's connections have told him. How is he a middle man? It's his job to report what is shared to him. Sure. Marner may sign with the Leafs. Who knows He may sign elsewhere or He may not sign at all. All we know is it is not going to be 9M like last summer. And that is the point.
Wouldn’t all reporters be middle men? If you get info from a source and tell to someone else you are a middle man. If you get info from a player or a gm and tel it to someone else , you are a middle man.

What is a middle man for you?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It's the middle man because Dreger's comments were directed to the leafs through the media to play the negotiations game. I think everyone knows he won't sign for 9 per. Not sure why you think people don't already know that

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
is it confirmed 9M was on the table last summer and Marner declined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad