Dreger: (Mod warning post 661) Marner's camp to take negotiations beyond July 1st and to visit teams startin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This is fake news. Leaf fans have told us all along Marner is not interested in being anything other than a Leaf.

Not fake news, but a game of chicken to be sure. Marner and his agent know what they’re worth in this market and won’t be nickel and dimed for less.

Dubas caved with Nylander, that won’t have escaped Marner’s notice.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
https___specials-images.forbesimg.com_dam_imageserve_545384962_960x0.jpg

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Not fake news, but a game of chicken to be sure. Marner and his agent know what they’re worth in this market and won’t be nickel and dimed for less.

It was a mutual caving and I'm sure that's what will happen here.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
More RFAs should do this TBH. Given all the times the NHL and NHLPA lock horns, its one of the wierder things that the RFA classes have basically not behaved like the free agents they were.

This seems like a negotiating tactic from Marner's camp (a lot of Dreger's thoughts tend to look like him being puppeted) more than anything, but its weird how rare its been.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

We can and will sign all of them!

The reality is there is ZERO way he signs for less than $10.5 M per year long term. Why would he unless offer sheets are fixed and don’t really happen? AT that price, it’s 2 1sts and a 2nd and a 3rd. Who wouldn’t give up that little for Marner. I wouldn’t even care if lottery protected and it’s not — you are getting a lottery player.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It was a mutual caving and I'm sure that's what will happen here.

Respectfully, Dubas caved. Nylander got everything he wanted. However we both agree, this is what will happen here. No way Marner goes elsewhere regardless of cost.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Dubas will cave and we will lose Johnsson or Kapanen for a pick. Doubt it goes as far as people hope.

Nylander is the odd man out in the worst case.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We can and will sign all of them!

The reality is there is ZERO way he signs for less than $10.5 M per year long term. Why would he unless offer sheets are fixed and don’t really happen? AT that price, it’s 2 1sts and a 2nd and a 3rd. Who wouldn’t give up that little for Marner. I wouldn’t even care if lottery protected and it’s not — you are getting a lottery player.

No one is offer sheeting him at 10.5, they know it's an insta-match under 4 1sts compensation. 10.5 isn't nearly high enough to cause serious cap issues, that only starts at 11.5 or so.

I think people underestimate how many competent ELC players we can plug into the lineup without hurting on-ice performance.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
wouldn't surprise me if Dreger is on Ferris' payroll

Marner/Ferris openly soliciting offersheets and interviewing with other teams..... if this actually came to fruition (i have to see it to believe it) i cant see this going over well at all in Toronto or the Leafs org/locker-room.

These guys (marner and his camp) might not even sign July 1 so all the UFA options like Panarin, Nyquist might be gone

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Making an aggressive offer is the last thing the leafs should do. Just let Marner come back down to earth and then start negotiating with him. Remember, Nylander was available to offersheet at the cost of a first, second, and third (an insanely cheap price considering most poeple's opinions of him then) for half a damn year, and not a single team threw one at him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not surprising. The headline stats give him grounds to demand as much as anyone on the Leafs. Not that it's all about offense, but offense gets you paid. The salary structure is pretty well established in Toronto.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Making an aggressive offer is the last thing the leafs should do. Just let Marner come back down to earth and then start negotiating with him. Remember, Nylander was available to offersheet at the cost of a first, second, and third (an insanely cheap price considering most poeple's opinions of him then) for half a damn year, and not a single team threw one at him.

"Let Marner come back down to earth"

Yes, because it's so ridiculous for Marner to ask for $10 million a year when Matthews just got $11.5 million.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Leafs have a lot of things they need to get done this offseason and if Marner drags his feet, he will take the whole team down with him.

If I'm Dubas (and I'm not), I'd tell Marner that his deadline is the draft and after that I'd look to trade him.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Marners a franchise player, I wouldn’t even want Nylander on my team for the cost. Totally different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad