Post-Game Talk: (MOD WARNING POST #180) Oilers 2, Canucks 0: gg no re

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well the only reason I included him is because he is actually good at his role. He gets like crazy dzone starts and he pretty much nails it. I mean as a 4th line center that's not bad. He doesn't score but then he doesn't get scored on as well.

Yeah I'm aware his possession stats are good, and I know bottom-6 guys are biased towards playing a safe game above all. But eye-test wise he was just invisible a lot of the season. I'm looking at guys away from the puck all the time, and I just kept being unimpressed.

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
Can Benning fire Willie? He is still only giving Boucher 10 minutes a game. Ridiculous - especially because Benning has mentioned Boucher needs more icetime a couple times on radio hits.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think any of us think he is a stud or world beater. Simply that he is showing some Improvement this year, has a bit of skill, and does not deserve the vitriol he receives on this board.

I'm not sure why that is hard to grasp to be honest...who said he was as good as toews?

NO ONE.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Can Benning fire Willie? He is still only giving Boucher 10 minutes a game. Ridiculous - especially because Benning has mentioned Boucher needs more icetime a couple times on radio hits.

I think he's done after this year, they're just riding it out.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
popcorn_yes.gif

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think any of us think he is a stud or world beater. Simply that he is showing some Improvement this year, has a bit of skill, and does not deserve the vitriol he receives on this board.

Pretty sure once Benning is fired and all the crap he has acquired tossed away you will see more optimism on this board.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I think he's done after this year, they're just riding it out.

Imo a good GM would fire a cancer like Willie immediately and let an interim like Jarvis start to try them with a new system and a different style of play... With lots of opportunity for the kids over scrubs like Megna/Chaput.

At least give the fans a little bit of excitement to end the season, even if we lose some games because of it. Who cares. I don't think there's many people in Vancouver left who care about winning games with this trash side.

Then you bring in an experienced head coach that can make them play that type of system in the offseason if you have to.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

yeah. I heard that too. It's like willie is just giving benning the finger

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah I'm aware his possession stats are good, and I know bottom-6 guys are biased towards playing a safe game above all. But eye-test wise he was just invisible a lot of the season. I'm looking at guys away from the puck all the time, and I just kept being unimpressed.

Well I do say it in the context of what forwards that would be worth keeping on this current team.

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
Your boy Benning has built quite the team here. Maybe if we give him another 5 years he can get above the bottom third of the league in goals scored. Maybe. Probably not.

I don't think any of us think Benning has been a good/great GM so far. No one has said he has been a good GM in this thread. What a dumb comment.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Chaput with the Sedins were dominant, wow. Too bad that line really lacks a good scorer though.

Well let's look at who has been with them this year:

Sutter - supposedly a triggerman. Definitely doesn't distribute. Was ok.

Eriksson - another supposed goal scorer. Snakebit this year IMO. Was ok.

Granlund - this year he is a goal scorer. Was ok.

So Chaput by comparison isn't bad. When the Sedins are controlling the cycle their linemate doesn't need to be a sniper because they produce lots of open nets. Here's why I don't think the above worked as expected:

Sutter - not actually a good player. Too weak to sustain the cycle.
Eriksson - just a bad year. Have to see how he does next season.
Granlund - most of his success with them was on the rush but that's not the strength of the Sedins. Too weak to sustain the cycle.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think any of us think Benning has been a good/great GM so far. No one has said he has been a good GM in this thread. What a dumb comment.

Lol. You don't think there is a large contingent of people that think Benning is a good GM?

There are still people defending this ass because "he can draft".

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

So Chaput by comparison isn't bad. When the Sedins are controlling the cycle their linemate doesn't need to be a sniper because they produce lots of open nets. Here's why I don't think the above worked as expected:

Granlund - most of his success with them was on the rush but that's not the strength of the Sedins. Too weak to sustain the cycle.

Agreed. Plus even if the Chaput-Sedin line lacks finishing, they'll score goals if they continue to have strong possession games like they did tonight.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

You forgot Megna!

Oignon Saute

Dec 19, 2011
I'm not a Granlund fan by any stretch but credit where credit it due he was good tonight. He skated well, got into dangerous positions and generated chances. I've been a mega Baerstchi fan since day 1 but I think he was the weakest member of his line tonight. I'd like to see Granlund stay on this line to finish the season...problem is I don't think Goldobin is a good fit with any other centre on the team, maybe something like Boucher-Guance-Goldobin could be effective but I'm not very privy to Guance's injury situation.

Just shut down Sutter for the season already, the worst Canuck tonight easily.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I mean does anyone really think good teams like Chicago and Washington would play a guy like Granlund?
Good teams don't have players like that on their roster for a reason.

Danniel Winnik, Brett Connolly, Jay Beagle, Dennis Rasmussen, Vinnie Hinostroza, these players are all so much better than Granlund?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Can't imagine he'd be happy with this product

I imagine he is dying to fire these guys but he is holding on because he doesn't want to appear he is meddling. I think at the end of the season and he sees how much money the team lost he will seriously consider it.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So thought the Canucks held their own tonight. Pretty much as good a result as I could have requested. Held a better team even for the most part, but lost. I mean is anyone wanting anything other than a good draft pick at this point.

But we have been competitive in almost every game this year. What more do you want. a team that is in games, entertaining (and massive injuries and diseases this year, but has a real shot at # 1 overall) All it will take is luck and damn are we overdue.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00