Post-Game Talk: (MOD WARNING POST #180) Oilers 2, Canucks 0: gg no re

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
In the game of hockey, two team plays against each other and the team that scores more wins.
Naturally you would want to have guys that can score more so you can win more games.
When the other team's crappiest players score at the same pace as your "good" players, it means you have a really ****** team.

When you point out that one player out of 5 names has scored "only" 4 goals less, that's not the thing you describe at all.

2/10 attempt at condescension.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yeah i know its all misery on this site ...BUT

The canucks have only been blown out a few times this year.

Tonight like many other nights, they were in it and giving a better team a tough time. A little puck luck ...

Was at the Pitts game last Sat. Once again there was little on the play (other than the shot totals) that went against the canucks. Seriously, we have a real shot at a good draft pick, and the canucks have at least been competitive. More competitive than the results. what more do you guys want?

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Don't see how anyone can fault the Canucks on this one. Pinging them off the post all night and couldn't get a break around the net. Forecheck was excellent and had Edmonton back on their heels for much of the game. Any offense Oilers did produce was against the general run of the play

What is evident is that we lack game breakers. Sedins were that but hard to make the case they are any longer. Did think the twins had much better game but can't seem to produce goals at vital times. Continued problems on the PP help illustrate this.

Good

Backman - can't ask him to do much more than he did. Provided goal tending that was good enough for a win if we had more offense.

Stecher - continually broke up plays and got the puck moving in transition the other way. So a smart in how he moves the puck and how he forces the play. Has incredible wheels.

Tryamkin - can see a very good defenseman emerging in front of our eyes. Once he turned with McDavid and tracked him stride for stride. When McDavid cut back he stop on a dime and bumped McDavid out of the play. His agility for his size is really good. Learning to play his blue line better and produce offense from the blue line. Sky's the limit for this player.

Granlund - I'm sure there will be some who find fault but that was very good effort. For all those who say he can't play in traffic maybe they should give their heads a shake and get off "I always right agendas" and start actually watching the games. It's ridiculous. He goes to the net hard and battles hard in every situation. Real quick to find openings and slide off players to get chances. Thought he made good attempts on all his chances and forced the goalie into very good saves. His touch with the puck is top drawer. Maybe not saying a lot but he is our best forward at the moment

Horvat - a very strong game. His line was the best line on the ice. Horvat is a stud.

I don't think there was anyone bad in this game. Muckers all had their good moments and that was better game for Shore and, to some extent, Megna.

Other points

Edler was much better although he still gives up the blue line too easily and should have been able to stop McDavid from cutting back on his goal. Relying too much on reaching with his stick and not enough on moving his feet to maintain position.

Tanev looked weak and tired on that late PP goal but overall was good and helped Sbisa have a better game.

Could see Desjardins start to cut back on the time for the forth liners like LaBata and Boucher (just can't stop himself from going back to must win mode) but then catch himself and begin to get them back out. Actually when he did they just about scored and turned momentum totally in favor of the Canucks.

Not big supporter of Willie but he does n have the team well organized n their systems and trying hard. However, doesn't seem to appreciate that all the systems work in the world isn't going to overcome talent and that's what he must develop.

To me, LaBate and Gaunce, given the roles they play on this team, are interchangeable.

Might be wrong but can't see Edmonton doing much in the playoffs off this effort. Shut down McDavid (though that's not easy to do) and you wonder if they have much after that. In this game, McDavid only really seemed to pick up his play when he was out with Draisailt. You have to load up one line like that and you have to think there isn't much left on the others.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
When you point out that one player out of 5 names has scored "only" 4 goals less, that's not the thing you describe at all.

2/10 attempt at condescension.

I was trying to dumb **** down for you because you don't seem to understand that if the other team's 4th line guys are scoring at the same pace as our 2nd/1st line winger, that means our 2nd/1st line winger is ****.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Tonight like many other nights, they were in it and giving a better team a tough time. A little puck luck ...

Was at the Pitts game last Sat. Once again there was little on the play (other than the shot totals) that went against the canucks. Seriously, we have a real shot at a good draft pick, and the canucks have at least been competitive. More competitive than the results. what more do you guys want?

No silver lining would be nice.

Players playing like last season post TDL.

100% unadulterated blow out Vrbata-level-of-no-****s-given misery.

:win:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Was at the Pitts game last Sat. Once again there was little on the play (other than the shot totals) that went against the canucks. Seriously, we have a real shot at a good draft pick, and the canucks have at least been competitive. More competitive than the results.

We aren't competive. Arguably the results flatter us due to some hot goalie streaks.

How good is this team? We are right at the bottom fighting it out with Arizona and Colorado when it comes to being competitive.

2nd last in goals scored

8th last in goals allowed

We have the 3rd worst shots for and against and the 2nd worst Fenwick for and against.

We have the 2nd worst PP.

We have the 5th worst PK.

what more do you guys want?

Entertainment. The team sucks and it's going to lose a lot anyway, it has no chance of the playoffs. Stop playing not to lose and open it up.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Yea I respect the battle. Tonight they easily could have won, but Id rather we come out trying to take it to the opposition. Maybe you lose 6-1. But I like that better than not trying to dictate anything, playing to disrupt and essentially trying to lose 2-1. Plus selfishly I hate the thought of stealing points by hunkering down.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Rogers Arena was insane tonight! Of course it was for the concert but still, hell of an atmosphere! Crazy to think tickets for that was about the same as one or two Canucks games where we may not even score a single goal.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Our best forward at the moment and during the entire season has been one guy:

Bo-Horvat-e1476984768299.jpg

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I was trying to dumb **** down for you because you don't seem to understand that if the other team's 4th line guys are scoring at the same pace as our 2nd/1st line winger, that means our 2nd/1st line winger is ****.

Better condescension. 5/10.

But as for your actual point...

Granlund P/60 is 1.61, G/60 is 0.95

The other players I mentioned:

Connolly: 2.03, 1.45 (He's done very well on 10 mins/game)
Hinostroza: 1.46, 0.63
Beagle: 1.70, 0.76
Winnik: 1.53, 0.69
Rasmussen: 0.67, 0.64

Though some better names would have been...

Tootoo: 0.42, 0.21
Desjardins: 0.16, 0.00
Kruger: 0.96, 0.15
Eller: 1.34, 0.61
Wilson: 1.05, 0.39 ( I know he is effective in other ways, just being thorough)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Better condescension. 5/10.

But as for your actual point...

Granlund P/60 is 1.61, G/60 is 0.95

The other players I mentioned:

Connolly: 2.03, 1.45 (He's done very well on 10 mins/game)
Hinostroza: 1.46, 0.63
Beagle: 1.70, 0.76
Winnik: 1.53, 0.69
Rasmussen: 0.67, 0.64

Though some better names would have been...

Tootoo: 0.42, 0.21
Desjardins: 0.16, 0.00
Kruger: 0.96, 0.15
Eller: 1.34, 0.61
Wilson: 1.05, 0.39 ( I know he is effective in other ways, just being thorough)

Actually contributing this time?

I do find it interesting that with Granlund, you guys just straight up refuse to use points as a measurement. Points don't matter now?

I've said this many times, Granlund once you scale down his minutes, he is pretty much a 20ish point winger that is a defensive liability and offers zero physicality. You think any playoff team wants a guy that is weak on board battles like Granlund. Granlund has pretty much disappeared when the games get tough and you know what, that's what the playoffs are about.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I do find it interesting that with Granlund, you guys just straight up refuse to use points as a measurement. Points don't matter now?

I've said this many times, Granlund once you scale down his minutes, he is pretty much a 20ish point winger that is a defensive liability and offers zero physicality. You think any playoff team wants a guy that is weak on board battles like Granlund. Granlund has pretty much disappeared when the games get tough and you know what, that's what the playoffs are about.

Granlund is one of the few pieces of ammunition available if you're looking for a bright spot in this abomination of a season. I can understand why people latch onto, and relentlessly defend him, because there's very few stories this year that don't make you want to abandon all hope under the specter that this franchise is doomed to miss the playoffs for a decade.

It's not enough for me, however. Unearthing one, passable 20-goal scorer doesn't atone for this abortion of a roster management has managed to put together. The fact Granlund is even something to celebrate is just indicative of how terrible the team building has been. We didn't used to even celebrate when guys like Raymond and Matthias were producing around that 20-goal plateau, but now it's a big deal.

The fact is this roster will likely have a single 50-point player. Arguing about Granlund is like talking about how good a deal you got on an arm chair while your house burns down.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Granlund is one of the few pieces of ammunition available if you're looking for a bright spot in this abomination of a season. I can understand why people latch onto, and relentlessly defend him, because there's very few stories this year that don't make you want to abandon all hope under the specter that this franchise is doomed to miss the playoffs for a decade.

It's not enough for me, however. Unearthing one, passable 20-goal scorer doesn't atone for this abortion of a roster management has managed to put together. The fact Granlund is even something to celebrate is just indicative of how terrible the team building has been. We didn't used to even celebrate when guys like Raymond and Matthias were producing around that 20-goal plateau, but now it's a big deal.

The fact is this roster will likely have a single 50-point player. Arguing about Granlund is like talking about how good a deal you got on an arm chair while your house burns down.

Granlund is like fools gold. Looks shiny and nice, but pretty much worthless.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Granlund is like fools gold. Looks shiny and nice, but pretty much worthless.

Quick look at the WAS roster, players with similar TOI are on pace to 45-60ish points.

We should be developing players that have that kind of potential. If you are happy with having a guy like Granlund on your team then frankly you deserve this loser team.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Quick look at the WAS roster, players with similar TOI are on pace to 45-60ish points.

We should be developing players that have that kind of potential. If you are happy with having a guy like Granlund on your team then frankly you deserve this loser team.

Agreed. It's also very telling when people completely ignore his points production just to focus solely on his goals production (while also ignoring his bloated SH%). Seems like intelligence gets thrown out the window when trying to defend this player.

Part of the reason why the Canucks aren't scoring many goals is because of the ice-time given to a player who's not very productive in that ice-time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Alarm bells should be ringing for the Oilers after this outing....basically dominated by a team with nothing to play for and auditioning new guys.....other than McJesus, their goalie Talbot, some dangling by Draisaitl and a few checks by Lucic, that was it.

Watching first-rounders like the Nuge and Eberle these days should offer a cautionary tale for the Canucks....what happened to these guys?....big money came too early, and too fast.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Trying. But it's tough when the goalposts keep moving. The original claim I responded was teams like Chicago and Washington wouldn't employ a player as bad as Granlund (wrong). Then it was yeah but they score at the same rate as him (wrong).

Now it's yeah but raw points!! Of which he still beats most of the players previously mentioned out, if not all of them.

What? You scale back a players minutes and their production reduces? Colour me shocked.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Damn I hate losing to the Oilers, but now that it's done, I guess a loss is a loss as far as the tank race goes.

Wish I had any hope that the Canucks would actually get lucky in the lottery... although if there was one year that they would actually end up with the first overall, this lackluster draft would be the one.

I'm expecting more of the same (or worse) next year too, but at least that draft class looks more promising.

I figure Willie gets the axe soon after the end of the season. Jimbo has about one more year to get his **** together.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008

So what you are saying is if you play on a better team with better players you can score more points.

no one is saying he is first line material, just that he has improved, which he has and a lot of experts agree.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Agreed. It's also very telling when people completely ignore his points production just to focus solely on his goals production (while also ignoring his bloated SH%). Seems like intelligence gets thrown out the window when trying to defend this player.

Part of the reason why the Canucks aren't scoring many goals is because of the ice-time given to a player who's not very productive in that ice-time.

You know there is a pretty easy stat that says exactly what you are trying to say. Granlund is 5th on the team in p/60 behind just the Sedins and Bo-Bae. You want to complain about players not producing for their ice-time, there are far bigger complaints in Sutter and Eriksson. Gaunce, Chaput and Megna bring up the rear by a wide margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad