GDT: MOD Warning Post #1 2023-24 season game 6 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @7:30pm 10/24/23

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Any Kings line with Fiala + PLD should be the 1st line. It's shocking incompetence otherwise.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I would do that if i try to butter him up.
But i ask in general, why people think the Kings are a contender

Let's define a contender, what does that actually mean.....in context, any one of 16 teams that make the playoffs....can be a contender

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Don't look now, Our top two lines have a 60% xGF% over 60+ minutes of play time

1698257449878.png

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Happy to get 2 points, but a lot to work on. Kings likely lose that game against a team with competent goaltending

Prior to last game, Arizona had a top 2 save percentage at 5v5. Even after getting shelled for 5 they are still 4th in the league in Sv%. Their 5v5 xGA is 11, they've allowed only 7. Vejmelka had allowed 5 goals in all situations in 180 minutes with a .942 save percentage, and that's with little defensive help.

They might have been off a bit, but they are as competent as it comes in net. The Kings create more havoc than we give them credit for.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I would do that if i try to butter him up.
But i ask in general, why people think the Kings are a contender
I wouldn't label them anything yet, but to me a contender is a team that, when on their game, is incredibly hard to beat in a 7 game series by their opponents. Contenders also have the depth to absorb losses to key personnel.

Any team can lose a series when they aren't playing well. But a contender can play average and still take a series from a team that is hot. The gap between the Kings and teams like Vegas and Colorado isn't that big right now, so I could see why some say they could go deep this year. This team isn't even playing all that well and they are literally pouring in goals. It's a pretty safe bet that we will see some 8 goal nights this year.

I usually give it 15-20 games before even I think about making guesses about who the contenders are. But if the goaltending stabilizes around 3GA and .900 you can see how it would be difficult to beat the Kings in a series.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I wouldn't label them anything yet, but to me a contender is a team that, when on their game, is incredibly hard to beat in a 7 game series by their opponents. Contenders also have the depth to absorb losses to key personnel.

Any team can lose a series when they aren't playing well. But a contender can play average and still take a series from a team that is hot. The gap between the Kings and teams like Vegas and Colorado isn't that big right now, so I could see why some say they could go deep this year. This team isn't even playing all that well and they are literally pouring in goals. It's a pretty safe bet that we will see some 8 goal nights this year.

I usually give it 15-20 games before even I think about making guesses about who the contenders are. But if the goaltending stabilizes around 3GA and .900 you can see how it would be difficult to beat the Kings in a series.

And WHEN it doesn't (and .900 isn't enough to win a playoff series) Blake is gonna be held hostage for premium assets for even a middling upgrade at the deadline

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
maybe not for you or I, but I am not convinced Rittich is an upgrade.
Since he’s looked the best it’s at least worth finding out rather than have some kind of loyalty to some scrubs

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
And WHEN it doesn't (and .900 isn't enough to win a playoff series) Blake is gonna be held hostage for premium assets for even a middling upgrade at the deadline
Yeah, unless Talbot goes Brodeur a move is going to have to be made, I don't see Copley doing that ever.

Not many upcoming UFA guys worth it out there. I would say Varly is the best bet, he's always done pretty well when he's actually made the playoffs.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013

Blake has put all his chips in anyway. I could easily see a dumping of Arvidsson, Roy, and giving up Turcotte ++ for Hellebucyk or Gibson.

Who the f*** cares about the future, roll those dice BABY

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Blake has put all his chips in anyway. I could easily see a dumping of Arvidsson, Roy, and giving up Turcotte ++ for Hellebucyk or Gibson.

Who the f*** cares about the future, roll those dice BABY

LOL out of all that, Turcotte is the only "future" you have to worry about

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, unless Talbot goes Brodeur a move is going to have to be made, I don't see Copley doing that ever.

Not many upcoming UFA guys worth it out there. I would say Varly is the best bet, he's always done pretty well when he's actually made the playoffs.

Yeah just glanced over the upcoming UFA list too and no solutions there either, so the writing appears on the wall

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023

The Kings might not be playing that well but they are playing as well as anyone could have expected. So far the Kings are who we thought they were: a deep team that overwhelms less talented opponents with waves of offense that wins high scoring games but is neutralized and beaten cleanly by teams with good goaltending/team defense who have top tier stars that easily outscore our stars. I wouldn't expect this to change much or for their game to stabilize, this is the game the roster is built to play.

The Kings will go far in the playoffs as long as they get to play the Ducks or Sharks in every series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad