GDT: MOD Warning Post #1 2023-24 season game 6 LA Kings vs Arizona Coyotes @7:30pm 10/24/23

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Never thought I'd see the Kings win the Cup in my lifetime let alone twice and a conference final in between. Winning definitely diminished my passion as a fan but that's been somewhat revitalized since they've made the playoffs the past few years.
Funny how that works.

They reach the goal you've been waiting for your whole life, and then they become less interesting because of it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
And yet you won't define a contender...go figure, and yea, every team that makes the playoffs has a real shot of winning the cup, it's literally what happens,

That's literally why games are played on ice...not paper.
Injuries, hot goalie, bought of the shits going through a room, anything can happen in the playoffs for sure, but there is a difference being he wild or being the avalanche. That said NHL has more parity than any other sports league, and that shows up come playoff time.

I think a better recent example is Florida.
think he was going for cup champs not finalists, but get what you are saying.
Lots of Cinderella runs out there.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Injuries, hot goalie, bought of the shits going through a room, anything can happen in the playoffs for sure, but there is a difference being he wild or being the avalanche. That said NHL has more parity than any other sports league, and that shows up come playoff time.

think he was going for cup champs not finalists, but get what you are saying.
Lots of Cinderella runs out there.

I know that, but there was absolutely ZERO difference between Los Angeles and Boston last year in the playoffs....

Hence....ANYONE that makes the playoffs has a REAL shot....(not arguing what you said, just reiterating the point that people keep refusing to believe) because "La CaNt Be A cOnTeNdEr" etc.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Hence....ANYONE that makes the playoffs has a REAL shot....(not arguing what you said, just reiterating the point that people keep refusing to believe) because "La CaNt Be A cOnTeNdEr" etc.
This is a load of shit.

Playoff hockey is a different sport. Some teams are built to get to the playoffs and others are built to win.
the 2012-2015/6 teams were built to win , since then we have been trying to get back.

The epitome of this was the Dave Taylor GM years

They road an extremely hot goalie and won one round against a badly limping Detroit team

1698421776578.png

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This is a load of shit.

Playoff hockey is a different sport. Some teams are built to get to the playoffs and others are built to win.
the 2012-2015/6 teams were built to win , since then we have been trying to get back.

They road an extremely hot goalie and won one round against a badly limping Detroit team

View attachment 758807

So, St Louis was BUILT TO WIN? Washington, was BUILT TO WIN?

You could argue that COL and BOS were both built to win last year.....

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You could. I wouldn't.

St Louis was built to win in the '10 decade. Washington got lucky
The O'Reilly acquisition put St. Louis over the top. The Blues probably should have won sooner, but the Kings and Hawks were so dominant.

Washington got completely lucky, they fell off pretty rapidly after the following season.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The O'Reilly acquisition put St. Louis over the top. The Blues probably should have won sooner, but the Kings and Hawks were so dominant.

Washington got completely lucky, they fell off pretty rapidly after the following season.
GBH,, please bookmark my Trevor Moore loving friend's post

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
This is a load of shit.

View attachment 758807

So St. Louis is build to win in the 10's, but only one 8 playoff series...in 10 years.....one year being the one they won the cup, so 4 playoff series in 9 years is being built to win?

Seems like teams need more than that to win

what part of the regular season is a different game that the playoffs wasn't clear to you?
They were built for the regular season and that's one of the reasons they lost in the first round

Ok, no problem, are you really trying to say Florida was built for the playoffs?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
And yet you won't define a contender...go figure, and yea, every team that makes the playoffs has a real shot of winning the cup, it's literally what happens,

That's literally why games are played on ice...not paper.
It doesn't matter what definition you are given, you will come back with the same "just get in and anything can happen" BS.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Ok, no problem, are you really trying to say Florida was built for the playoffs?
That was why they traded Huberdeau , etc for Tkachuk

So St. Louis is build to win in the 10's, but only one 8 playoff series...in 10 years.....one year being the one they won the cup, so 4 playoff series in 9 years is being built to win?
running in to LA and Chicago every year didn't help but once again...but..... (more coming)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
you have to get in before you can win anything. So teams need to make that the initial goal, but it cannot be the end goal. I look at the history of the Flames and the mandate from ownership constantly feels like, "This team needs to be a playoff team". However that cannot be the goal because then are just built to be more mediocre. Can mediocre teams get hot at the right time and have things fall their way, absolutory, but it's not how a team should be built.

Right now I would say LA is not built as a true contender (goaltending is too big of a question mark), but they should be in the playoffs.

Reactions: Lt Dan and bland

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
you have to get in before you can win anything. So teams need to make that the initial goal, but it cannot be the end goal. I look at the history of the Flames and the mandate from ownership constantly feels like, "This team needs to be a playoff team". However that cannot be the goal because then are just built to be more mediocre. Can mediocre teams get hot at the right time and have things fall their way, absolutory, but it's not how a team should be built.

Right now I would say LA is not built as a true contender (goaltending is too big of a question mark), but they should be in the playoffs.
I am seriously wondering if GBH is just trying to be a contrarian

Does ANYONE agreed with GBH's theory? Please speak up

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I am seriously wondering if GBH is just trying to be a contrarian

Does ANYONE agreed with GBH's theory? Please speak up

Not really trying to be contrarian, but the whole notion of built to win....is nonsense, you need a HELLUVA LOT MORE to go your way.....than just...being built to win....

Getting in absolutely is the 1st step, and THEN you STILL need a lot more to go your way.....

Everyone is acting like it's so easy to win a cup, you put this lego with that lego and that lego for a foundation, then you add that lego, and then that lego, and then, you are only two pieces away, and you add those two pieces and voila.....you win a cup.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Washingtons depth performed well in that run. Smith Pelley, Burakovsky, Eller Dowd etc. They performed above their pay grade and the Caps have always just been a top heavy team otherwise.
I agree St Louis was a contender for years that just couldnt get past Chicago and LA. Quick was a big reason St Louis couldnt advance but they played well against LA.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Not really trying to be contrarian, but the whole notion of built to win....is nonsense, you need a HELLUVA LOT MORE to go your way.....than just...being built to win....

Getting in absolutely is the 1st step, and THEN you STILL need a lot more to go your way.....
You are getting beaten in this thread worse than Jim Caviezel in the Passion of the Christ and your "facts" have all been disproven.

Not one person has stepped up to argue for any of your points or against the people who disagree with you and we all know how much people love to amplify minor mistakes on the interwebs

Everyone is acting like it's so easy to win a cup, you put this lego with that lego and that lego for a foundation, then you add that lego, and then that lego, and then, you are only two pieces away, and you add those two pieces and voila.....you win a cup.
everyone, or just you?
you are the one claiming that a team simply has to get to playoffs and roll the dice. Everyone else understands that it takes much more than that

Washingtons depth performed well in that run. Smith Pelley, Burakovsky, Eller Dowd etc. They performed above their pay grade and the Caps have always just been a top heavy team otherwise.
I agree St Louis was a contender for years that just couldnt get past Chicago and LA. Quick was a big reason St Louis couldnt advance but they played well against LA.
Note this post GBH. yet another person who is on the opposite end of the debate from you.... and Schmooley's makes some excellent points here

Reactions: Maynard

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Dude, go back to the 80's with the Triple Crown Line......oh yay...we are gonna.....fall on our face....well crap next year....rinse and repeat for 10 years, 1988, Gretzky trade, yea, we are gonna....step on our dicks.....all but one year......ok great, Greztky is gonna be traded we are gonna get this great pa.....punch in the gut....ok...fine....then the 90's.....then the 2000's.....

Being a Kings fan is like being your own version of Charlie Brown every year.......
1974-75 LA 105 points in 80 games (best record ever for LA) led by
Bob Nevin 36yo 72p
Mike Murphy 23yo 68p
Dan Maloney 23yo 66p

LA then traded for Marcel Dionne (Star Power - HOF player) instead of building on the best TEAM they ever had. They tried again with Gretzky and came close in 93, finally went back to the TEAM concept and succeeded in 2012. Have they learned anything?

Reactions: KINGS17

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Love that circular logic of "half the league is a cup contender every year by making the playoffs" and "winning the cup isn't easy."

When you think about it, every team is a cup contender now. All they have to do is win enough games to get into the playoffs. But half the battle is just being in the league.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad