Confirmed Signing with Link: (Mod warning OP)[TBL] Brayden Point signs with the Lightning (3 years, $6.75M AAV)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yet another off season where Tampa was supposed to be screwed and yet they signed everyone they needed.

Just wait for next year's cap crunch though!!!!

It will catch up to them.....

they have cernak, sergashev, and Cerelli to sign next season. They have 9 slots and $&M+ cap raise to do it.

Sure--they get Seattle to take one of those 4 $5M forwards from them and use that many on one of the 3 young kids after doing a LeBlanc deal and they trade another then they could get better.

The cap crunch means they couldnt resign players and had to trade players. They got a patsy GM who gave up a 1st.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yeah. Good for fans and good for the team but the players are morons lol. Leaving so much money on the table.

How can a near selke finalist level center who scored 92 points accept a contract for only 6.75M? He probably could have made double that on the open market, or close.

Like I said - good for you guys, good for Tampa....but Point is a moron. Even if he cashes in in 3 years, he'll still never recoup the money he left for those 3 years.

I kinda agree with you when you compare his contract to other RFAs or even the top NHLers. But Tampa Bay management realized (unlike Leaf management), Point really didn't have any leverage...except for a an offer sheet which wasn't forthcoming. Sure we can say he could made a lot more on an open market....but as a RFA it isn't really open. Aho was probably a somewhat fair comparable, so maybe RFA Point value was 9m X 5 or 7.5 X 3.
Leafs top three RFAs weren't the new norm. Aho, Point, McAvoy,Boesner might be the norm. We'll see how Laine, Connor, Tzachuk and Rantanen fit into the RFA scenario of 2019.

Reactions: TS Quint

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

they have cernak, sergashev, and Cerelli to sign next season. They have 9 slots and $&M+ cap raise to do it.

Sure--they get Seattle to take one of those 4 $5M forwards from them and use that many on one of the 3 young kids after doing a LeBlanc deal and they trade another then they could get better.

The cap crunch means they couldnt resign players and had to trade players. They got a patsy GM who gave up a 1st.

Even if it does, I don't think it really hurts them all that badly.

The thing about having players like Point, Kucherov and Hedman is that that they elevate everyone around them. The team simply won't ever be middling with those 3 talents.

The only way I see Tampa ever becoming if San Jose East (sorry sharks fans, nothing personal) is if they lose their ability to restock the pipeline. If they have a few really bad drafts in a row, that's when they could see a slight dive.

Otherwise, I just don't see them finishing short of a division spot within the next 5 years. I expect them to become a dynasty here soon, with multiple championships in that 5 year span.

I am glad we are not in the Atlantic because I could see TB, Toronto and Boston all finishing top 5 in the league repeatedly over the next 5 years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yet another off season where Tampa was supposed to be screwed and yet they signed everyone they needed.

Just wait for next year's cap crunch though!!!!

You have to admit, Callahan's back was pretty big piece of good fortune in all that. Not something many people could see from afar before it happened.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
2019-09-24_09h43_44.png

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I mean isnt this one of the more expensive bridge deals ever? It seems like the going rate for 3 year RFA contracts that leave a player 1 year short of UFA. It seems low because of all the 8 year 10M+ deals floating around, but in reality its nothing more than a reasonable bridge deal like many other players have signed in the past. If they buy any UFA years under 10M then we can talk about how tampa is the GOAT, but until then lets pump the brakes a little bit.

Take out the TOR deals because who knows whats actually going on there. 5x11 and 6x10.9 looks bad no matter how you slice it

I believe it is, which why I don't get all the "highway robbery" talk. He's drastically underpaid for the caliber of player that he is, but he's getting paid extremely fairly for the length contract that he took.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I believe it is, which why I don't get all the "highway robbery" talk. He's drastically underpaid for the caliber of player that he is, but he's getting paid extremely fairly for the length contract that he took.

Agreed! Luckily for Tampa, there's not Trouba risk here with the bridge, although they will definitely get Subban'd but by the time that happens they won't have a duck to give.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
You have to admit, Callahan's back was pretty big piece of good fortune in all that. Not something many people could see from afar before it happened.
Yeah, not arguing that. But Callahan had only one year left on his deal, he could've been moved. It saved Tampa some assets but I don't think it had any impact cap-wise.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How does the draft negate that?

Not having drafts and having players rights belong to a team ONLY when they have an active contract seems much nicer...

Where every good hockey player in the world wants to play for 3-5 teams?

The last thing I want to see is the non-competitive European football leagues.

Reactions: TS Quint

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, not arguing that. But Callahan had only one year left on his deal, he could've been moved. It saved Tampa some assets but I don't think it had any impact cap-wise.

If he would've waived the NTC. If not, you're looking at Johnson/Palat/Killorn, which you'd still take that trade-off 100 times out of 100, but it's probably not a zero damage situation.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

This is the new NHL where every season will be an adventure for most teams especially ones that plan on contending.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I kinda agree with you when you compare his contract to other RFAs or even the top NHLers. But Tampa Bay management realized (unlike Leaf management), Point really didn't have any leverage...except for a an offer sheet which wasn't forthcoming. Sure we can say he could made a lot more on an open market....but as a RFA it isn't really open. Aho was probably a somewhat fair comparable, so maybe RFA Point value was 9m X 5 or 7.5 X 3.
Leafs top three RFAs weren't the new norm. Aho, Point, McAvoy,Boesner might be the norm. We'll see how Laine, Connor, Tzachuk and Rantanen fit into the RFA scenario of 2019.

Regarding offer sheet that "wasn't forthcoming". That may be true - but it's true because of Point.

I don't know by heart how the offer sheets work if it's 3 years vs 5, or at/near 6.75M$ per year - but I think Point had a lot of leverage he could have used if he wanted to get more money, as teams would have been lining up to offer sheet him at that value. He gave them a team friendly deal- which is cool for Tampa - but he definitely left money on the table.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If he would've waived the NTC. If not, you're looking at Johnson/Palat/Killorn, which you'd still take that trade-off 100 times out of 100, but it's probably not a zero damage situation.
Don't quote me on it, but I don't think he had a full NTC. IIRC he had an 8 team trade list.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
There's no secret, the player is an RFA, they have little leverage, you don't overpay them and you wait them out.

I believe that's covered in Being a GM 101. Some GMs must have skipped classes.

LMFAO. Absolutely clueless. What are we supposed to do? Not pay Marner and waste a contending year? And no signing Marner in November or whatever was NOT an option for the Leafs as he would have an inflated cap hit this season, which the Leafs would not be able to fit under the cap. There was 1 option - sign him before the season starts, to A. Maximize their chances in their "contender" window and B. To avoid having to do this a year later if we "let them wait it out" lmfao. Maybe do some research before you make uninformed ignorant posts.

Reactions: MapyPopa

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I was under the impression he can accept the QO (min. 9M), not accept and go to arb or TB could not extend a QO (not happening) and he becomes a UFA. I could be completely wrong though.

Someone else seems to have confirmed the option to decline the QO and being a UFA as well which seems so weird from a team control stand point.

Either way it's likely TB goes for an early extension unless plans change.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I feel like these negotiations would have been treated differently in the media if it was widely known that Point wouldn't be ready to play till the end of October. It's not like he was missing out on preseason games due to not being signed.

Lightning's Brayden Point likely to miss start of season after hip surgery this summer

Just another point to prove the player and the team worked together. He could have signed the same contract but doing so after the season begins would have increased his 1st year AAV every passing day.

Media will always stir the sorty a way it fits their narrative (sell more clicks, reads, views) but the reality is the team knew all about it.

Evergreen

Yup. The RFA process makes no sense and it's so inconsistent it's simply laughable at this point. Get rid of it completely.
I understand certain criticisms of the RFA system, but what about it is “inconsistent?” All players and teams are bound by the same rules.

Reactions: CDN24

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

Gave up a first? When?

And you're a year off on the expansion draft.

The way this plays out is we trade Killorn next year, probably dump some bits and pieces (Paquette, Coburn, etc) and try to squeeze in all 4 of the kids (I'm adding Joseph to your list). We may end up having to trade one, likely for a solid return of prospects/picks. It would hurt us somewhat in our window if we do have to get rid of one of them, but certainly doesn't take us out of the SC picture (and doesn't necessarily even knock us from our perch as the favorite), and we will get compensation coming back.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
LMFAO. Absolutely clueless. What are we supposed to do? Not pay Marner and waste a contending year? And no signing Marner in November or whatever was NOT an option for the Leafs as he would have an inflated cap hit this season, which the Leafs would not be able to fit under the cap. There was 1 option - sign him before the season starts, to A. Maximize their chances in their "contender" window and B. To avoid having to do this a year later if we "let them wait it out" lmfao. Maybe do some research before you make uninformed ignorant posts.
Hilarious when homers do the old “ what choice does the GM have other than to overpay”. Other GMs seem to have other choices. Point’s contract seems like another choice than what Dubas did.

Hawks homers said the same thing when Kane/Toews signed for more than Crosby/Malkin. That didn’t hold their window open at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad