Confirmed Signing with Link: (Mod warning OP)[TBL] Brayden Point signs with the Lightning (3 years, $6.75M AAV)

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Because Point has the ability to take his 1 year QO and go right to UFA. It's a good deal for Tampa Bay, but that alone prevents it from being a homerun to me.
Or he could have taken a AM's contract and gone straight to ufa without a chance for his team to lock him up ahead of time AND demanded a salary that forces them into disadvantageous trades to shed cap.

This is definitely a better outcome

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Hilarious when homers do the old “ what choice does the GM have other than to overpay”. Other GMs seem to have other choices. Point’s contract seems like another choice than what Dubas did.

Hawks homers said the same thing when Kane/Toews signed for more than Crosby/Malkin. That didn’t hold their window open at all.
so what would you suggest that they do mr smarty? what choice did they have? play a season without their 2nd or 3rd best player and try to get by boston again without him? lmfao.. think before you speak sir.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
so what would you suggest that they do mr smarty? what choice did they have? play a season without their 2nd or 3rd best player and try to get by boston again without him? lmfao.. think before you speak sir.
The 2 choices for a horrible gm are sit the player, or overpay. It seems the good gm’s just find ways to give their players fair market value, or even lower.

I 100% believe that some gm’s are significantly better than others. I think it’s VERY possible that, under different gm’s, that Tampa could have FAR worse contracts than they do with Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point. Similarly, I think it’s possible that with a different gm, Matthews, Marner and Nylander could have more team friendly contracts. They quite literally couldn’t get much worse though.

Gm’s aren’t just “lucky”. Some are significantly better than others.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
See JBB in Tampa.

Also, holding out and not playing hurts the player a lot more than the team. Player loses millions of dollars and development. Dubas didn't call their bluff.

Also, using LMFAO does not strengthen your argument in any way. It just makes you look childish and foolish.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I understand certain criticisms of the RFA system, but what about it is “inconsistent?” All players and teams are bound by the same rules.
Rules might be equal but every team isn't equal.

I don't know you get a competitive league when you have some players on RFA contracts demanding ridiculous money and term from a team, while other players (in comparison) taking almost half despite being better. Something is wrong there.

I say just extend the ELC a couple more years, add bonus incentives for star players, and after that it's to the market with their drafting (or current team if traded) getting first shot at re-singing

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I believe it is, which why I don't get all the "highway robbery" talk. He's drastically underpaid for the caliber of player that he is, but he's getting paid extremely fairly for the length contract that he took.
as friedman pointed out it’s the most expensive 3 year RFA deal ever

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Yes, Florida is a magical land where there are no taxes whatsoever. I’m surprised Point didn’t just take 2M and call it a day because of the huge tax advantage there it likely evens out right?

What kind of reply is that? You really think Point signs for the same amount if he plays for the Islanders?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The 2 choices for a horrible gm are sit the player, or overpay. It seems the good gm’s just find ways to give their players fair market value, or even lower.

I 100% believe that some gm’s are significantly better than others. I think it’s VERY possible that, under different gm’s, that Tampa could have FAR worse contracts than they do with Stamkos, Kucherov, and Point. Similarly, I think it’s possible that with a different gm, Matthews, Marner and Nylander could have more team friendly contracts. They quite literally couldn’t get much worse though.

Gm’s aren’t just “lucky”. Some are significantly better than others.

You're so wrong. The Tampa Bay Lightning have never had a bad GM. Taxes won't allow it.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Or he could have taken a AM's contract and gone straight to ufa without a chance for his team to lock him up ahead of time AND demanded a salary that forces them into disadvantageous trades to shed cap.

This is definitely a better outcome
There is a chance for the team to lock up Matthews ahead of time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I kinda agree with you when you compare his contract to other RFAs or even the top NHLers. But Tampa Bay management realized (unlike Leaf management), Point really didn't have any leverage...except for a an offer sheet which wasn't forthcoming. Sure we can say he could made a lot more on an open market....but as a RFA it isn't really open. Aho was probably a somewhat fair comparable, so maybe RFA Point value was 9m X 5 or 7.5 X 3.
Leafs top three RFAs weren't the new norm. Aho, Point, McAvoy,Boesner might be the norm. We'll see how Laine, Connor, Tzachuk and Rantanen fit into the RFA scenario of 2019.

Point definitely had leverage, he just didn't use it, there's a difference.

It's supply and demand. "Pay me, or someone else will". Offer sheet, or he could have sat out. It's bad for him if he sits, but it's even worst for Tampa whose coming off possibly the worst choke job in history - they need him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's a fantastic signing for the Lightning. They get him at a reasonable cost and he's still RFA when it expires.

Not sure how anyone can be unhappy with this deal.

Nobody is. Aside from people trying to justify their own teams' deals in comparison.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
There is a chance for the team to lock up Matthews ahead of time.
Yeah of course, and chances are he'll retire as a Leaf. That said, the contract is engineered to make it AM's choice.

Usually franchise players never exercise their UFA rights, but you don't have to look any further than your other 1C for an example of the guy who bucks the trend. You've got 5 years, no sense worrying now, but it says something that the contract is structured that way.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Brayden Point was one of many dynamic young forwards looking for a big raise after his entry-level contract, but his agent says the other restricted free agents didn’t influence negotiations with the Tampa Bay Lightning
Johannson said Point’s desire to stay in Tampa and the culture of the team, were bigger factors in the negotiation than other comparable contracts signed around the league.

“There’s a couple of dimensions to these negotiations. One is obviously your player and their expectations, their comfort zone and what their goals are. But a big one is the club and what have teams done in the past,” Johannson said.
“Teams like Tampa have been very successful with a certain structure. They do pay their guys but the bridge deal has been something they’ve done with pretty much every one of their top players. So I think going into it, we were prepared to go down that road.”

Agent explains why Brayden Point signed bridge deal with Lightning - Sportsnet.ca

Not that anyone here will believe that, just as nobody believed it when I posted quotes directly from Stamkos and Hedman talking about why they chose to stay in Tampa for less than they could have gotten elsewhere.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agent explains why Brayden Point signed bridge deal with Lightning - Sportsnet.ca

Not that anyone here will believe that, just as nobody believed it when I posted quotes directly from Stamkos and Hedman talking about why they chose to stay in Tampa for less than they could have gotten elsewhere.

Pretty much all of our guys signed bridge deals and then signed the big extension the year before the QO comes in or UFA hits. Stamkos is the only one that signed the day before UFA. Doesnt mean Point does it this way but all the other guys before him have.

Reactions: Maelmoor

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Congrats to the Bolts fans on Point signing for 3 years, the GM structured the contract so Point will get a big pay day in 3 years time.

As he should. He helped the team out this bridge deal. He will be fine after his next deal. TB also gets some time to clear out some cap during those years to accommodate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad