Confirmed Signing with Link: (Mod warning OP)[TBL] Brayden Point signs with the Lightning (3 years, $6.75M AAV)

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
insane insurance on your property due to flood and hurricane risk

A bit off topic here, but if any athlete is paying Cat Perils on their property they are fools. I own multiple houses and several plots of land in the Bahamas, all insured and I don't pay cat perils at all. If you have the money to buy things like this it is more realistic to just invest the same money every year and let it earn money for you then use it if you ever need it. Example: one of my houses in Nassau, the Cat Perils on the policy would cost me an additional $19k per year. I have owned the house since 2003, and in the time not once has Nassau taken a direct hit from a major hurricane. That is a lot of money over the last 16 years that I would never see again had I paid the Cat Perils. I would think athletes who have a lot more money than I do would do the same thing.

Just a note for anybody that may want to ask. I do not own anything on either Abaco or Grand Bahama. My ex wife's family owns A LOT on both islands and lost everything there. They do not pay Cat Perils either. Do not feel bad for them though, that family is worth a lot of money and they will easily rebuild. Many others are not so fortunate.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
My ex wife's family owns A LOT on both islands and lost everything there. They do not pay Cat Perils either. Do not feel bad for them though, that family is worth a lot of money and they will easily rebuild..

Hey man, I'm going to ask a personal question. Was your ex-wife that horrible a person as the cause for the divorce? I'm really looking for a sugar momma and she (and her family's wealth) sound like a perfect fit for this middle-class guy. Can I get a number? Can you help a hockey brother out?

If it helps, I've always wanted to own property in the Bahamas, it's been on my bucket list for a while.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
Hey man, I'm going to ask a personal question. Was your ex-wife that horrible a person as the cause for the divorce? I'm really looking for a sugar momma and she (and her family's wealth) sound like a perfect fit for this middle-class guy. Can I get a number? Can you help a hockey brother out?

If it helps, I've always wanted to own property in the Bahamas, it's been on my bucket list for a while.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, she is one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Just didn't work for me is all and I left. Very good friends to this day and an amazing mother to our 3 kids. I can assure you money is not going to bring you happiness though. Unfortunately for you, she at least says she has no intentions of ever getting married again and without that you will never have legal status to even be in the Bahamas, let alone own property there. Having said that, if you want to own property there the Bahamian government will allow you to own a home as long as your investment in the country is $750k US dollars and you pay foreign resident taxes on said property. This will give you no right to work within the country but will give you residency.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
A bit off topic here, but if any athlete is paying Cat Perils on their property they are fools. I own multiple houses and several plots of land in the Bahamas, all insured and I don't pay cat perils at all. If you have the money to buy things like this it is more realistic to just invest the same money every year and let it earn money for you then use it if you ever need it. Example: one of my houses in Nassau, the Cat Perils on the policy would cost me an additional $19k per year. I have owned the house since 2003, and in the time not once has Nassau taken a direct hit from a major hurricane. That is a lot of money over the last 16 years that I would never see again had I paid the Cat Perils. I would think athletes who have a lot more money than I do would do the same thing.

Just a note for anybody that may want to ask. I do not own anything on either Abaco or Grand Bahama. My ex wife's family owns A LOT on both islands and lost everything there. They do not pay Cat Perils either. Do not feel bad for them though, that family is worth a lot of money and they will easily rebuild. Many others are not so fortunate.

I'm guessing you don't have numbers on how many players pay cash for the homes they own rather than finance them. If they are financing they are paying to insure the property. Of course if they are renting (as most do) they are paying those insurance costs indirectly in rent.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
I'm guessing you don't have numbers on how many players pay cash for the homes they own rather than finance them. If they are financing they are paying to insure the property. Of course if they are renting (as most do) they are paying those insurance costs indirectly in rent.

You are correct, I don't have those numbers. I left the US more than 21 years ago, and I owned nothing when I left so I am not sure about financing a home there. But in the Bahamas you do not have to carry Cat Perils on your insurance policies when you finance a home. I am just assuming it is the same in the US. If you are renting, it really is a non issue of whether you are paying it or not as you are making the decision to pay the rent for the place that you want. I was only addressing the one poster who said insurance for hurricanes and floods in Florida is an added expense to players who won't see that elsewhere.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Actually, she is one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Just didn't work for me is all and I left. Very good friends to this day and an amazing mother to our 3 kids. I can assure you money is not going to bring you happiness though. Unfortunately for you, she at least says she has no intentions of ever getting married again and without that you will never have legal status to even be in the Bahamas, let alone own property there. Having said that, if you want to own property there the Bahamian government will allow you to own a home as long as your investment in the country is $750k US dollars and you pay foreign resident taxes on said property. This will give you no right to work within the country but will give you residency.
As someone who grew up poor and now makes good money - this is kind of bullshit. It may not bring you happiness, but not having to worry about which bill you can afford not to pay in a given month goes a long way in easing life's stresses.

Geoff72

Mar 25, 2015
Toronto
As someone who grew up poor and now makes good money - this is kind of bull****. It may not bring you happiness, but not having to worry about which bill you can afford not to pay in a given month goes a long way in easing life's stresses.

Haha, that is exactly what I said.

I grew up poor too and worked my ass off to get where I am. Of course not having the stresses of living pay cheque to pay cheque is a great blessing and I recognize it every day. At the same time, all I had to do was shut up and enjoy the ride in my previous marriage and we were going to be the beneficiaries of an astronomical amount of money. Being a part of all that money gave me absolutely no peace of mind and decided it was better I leave. That is all I was trying to say in money does not bring you happiness.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad