Pre-Game Talk: MNW @ TRT - January 3rd @ 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sparks is going to have to **** the bed hard or get hurt with Andersen still out for that to happen, Hutchinson is insurance, very questionable insurance

With Hutch backing up in place of Kaskisuo, Babs won't be afraid to pull Sparks. Assuming Andy is out for a few more games, yes Sparks will be given lots of rope but if he is pulled, he will be opening the door for Hutch.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He's barely played in the NHL.

Skaters get to make rookie mistakes and are given time to find their way. Not sure why this is apparently out of the question for Sparks, like he has to perform like an elite goalie from day one or get out.
Skaters can be given limited time or not dress at all.
The difference shouldn't need explaining.

If you see some vast potential here that no one else does, great I hope you're right.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
With Hutch backing up in place of Kaskisuo, Babs won't be afraid to pull Sparks. Assuming Andy is out for a few more games, yes Sparks will be given lots of rope but if he is pulled, he will be opening the door for Hutch.

I don't think you realize just how bad Hutchison has been this season, he's going to have to be substantially better than he has been to even get a sniff of the backup job

Not impossible but highly unlikely

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think you realize just how bad Hutchison has been this season, he's going to have to be substantially better than he has been to even get a sniff of the backup job

Our best #5 pick in history was Palmateer so we probably would have drafted another stiff but if Hutch is as bad as you say, couldn't Dubas find a better option for that pick ?

The Vancouver Canucks traded goalie Anders Nilsson and minor-league winger Darren Archibald the Ottawa Senators for netminder Mike McKenna, forward Tom Pyatt and a sixth-round pick in the 2019 NHL draft on Wednesday.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

That doesn't bode well for our GM spending a pick on him.

Reactions: ToneDog

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Our best #5 pick in history was Palmateer so we probably would have drafted another stiff but if Hutch is as bad as you say, couldn't Dubas find a better option for that pick ?

The Vancouver Canucks traded goalie Anders Nilsson and minor-league winger Darren Archibald the Ottawa Senators for netminder Mike McKenna, forward Tom Pyatt and a sixth-round pick in the 2019 NHL draft on Wednesday.

He's been bad this season in the NHL and the AHL which is slightly disconcerting if he's your insurance policy with Andersen down

I don't know who was or wasn't available but I'm pretty sure Hutchinson has already passed through waivers and I think Nilsson hasn't, I think that's why we've got the guy we've got

That doesn't bode well for our GM spending a pick on him.

I can't say I loved the deal but insurance is insurance, let's be honest until we traded for Hutchinson we didn't have a #3 goaltender in the entire organization

Reactions: ToneDog

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I can't say I loved the deal but insurance is insurance, let's be honest until we traded for Hutchinson we didn't have a #3 goaltender in the entire organization

It's true, it needed to happen for insurance purposes. Hopefully we never had to rely on Hutchinson but it's good to ahve him there in case anything wild happens.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's true, it needed to happen for insurance purposes. Hopefully we never had to rely on Hutchinson but it's good to ahve him there in case anything wild happens.

I don't love him but Hutchinson is a better bet than the absolute dross we've got backstopping the Marlies right now so we've made the Marlies better and improved our depth, it's an understandable trade given the circumstances

Reactions: robertmac43

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd hope management wouldn't be stupid enough to listen to what the media is saying, no good can come from that imo

We've got a buffer in the standings, as long as this doesn't drag on for multiple weeks we should be able to tread water until he's back, I hope

I'm surprised Hutchinson hasn't been called up already honestly

It may be a positive in the long run, at least this forces us to give Freddy some rest rather than continuing to ride him like a rented mule

6 point buffer with a game in hand.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
6 point buffer with a game in hand.

That's a lot with the way the points system works, either were going to have to fall off a ton or someone is going to have to go on an unbelievable heater to catch us for 2nd in the Atlantic

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hutch had a .935 with the Moose last season in the AHL, and a .907 with the Jets in less than a handful of games.

He's been awful this year though. Hopefully some time with the Marlies and our coaches can help get the promise he showed back. I think he will help stabilize the Marlies, and the Marlies can help stabilize him.

All this to say, as of right now, I don't think Hutch is the answer, but some time in the Marlies could change that. I would still place him behind Sparks, for now.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That's a lot with the way the points system works, either were going to have to fall off a ton or someone is going to have to go on an unbelievable heater to catch us for 2nd in the Atlantic

I’d rather be up 6 but it’s potentially a bad week...which the Leafs hadn’t had yet this year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yea we played Carolina last year and destroyed them. Marner had a crazy game.
That was a fun one.
Especially memorable with a lady 2 rows in front of us winning 26000+ on the 50/50 a few days before Christmas.

Reactions: Melo Meds

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Skaters can be given limited time or not dress at all.
The difference shouldn't need explaining.

If you see some vast potential here that no one else does, great I hope you're right.

I'm not sure what his potential is, I've only ever argued he's earned a chance and people should have some patience to let it play out. If he doesn't look more trustworthy by the trade deadline(or earlier if things get hairy) we can find another option pretty easily. No reason for so much cabbage to be thrown at the guy(not necessarily by you).

Reactions: Kiwi and ACC1224

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I’d rather be up 6 but it’s potentially a bad week...which the Leafs hadn’t had yet this year.

We're on pace for something crazy like 115 points, the fact were only 6 ahead is a testament to how messed up the points system is, it's going to take a fair bit to catch us from 6 ahead with a game in hand imo

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Was it? Did we kill them or am I just totally misremembering? Or was it the year before I'm thinking of?

8-1 if I remember correctly. Total slaughter.

Edit:

Second edit: this may be the game vs. the Islanders you’re referring to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Sorry if already answered - any reason for the 2 pm start?

It's fun & different, but last year's Carolina game had meaning for the early start - any reason here?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sorry if already answered - any reason for the 2 pm start?

It's fun & different, but last year's Carolina game had meaning for the early start - any reason here?

New Generation Game.

It's going to be an annual thing where somewhere within the Christmas Holiday for Ontario Schools, they will have a 2pm game, to encourage ticket holders to bring a young fan/new fan with them, or sell/give the tickets to a young/new fan if they can't attend. Apparently anyone who has tickets for the game tomorrow also received a letter explaining the start time, and the purpose of it, encouraging them to bring someone young or new to the game.

I like it. I won't be able to watch much, because of work, but I still like the idea of it.

Reactions: OddyOh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad