OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Sick fight but damn, it would suck to see Junior get laid out again so soon.

I expect Woodley/Maia to headline but still hoping we get another belt on the line for the co-main. Praying for Tony/Khabib but hopefully worst case scenario is MM or Joanna and not JDS/Francis.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Sick fight but damn, it would suck to see Junior get laid out again so soon.

I expect Woodley/Maia to headline but still hoping we get another belt on the line for the co-main. Praying for Tony/Khabib but hopefully worst case scenario is MM or Joanna and not JDS/Francis.

I'm hoping Cerrones injury pushes the Lawler fight all the way to Edm!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I know very little about the guy Braidwood is fighting next. However, the guy is 40 and has lost 4 straight with 3 straight ko's.

Miss match before the fight even starts again.

With that being said it's not in Edmonton, which brings up another question. What is happening with the whole governing body right now? Provincial government wants it ran locally. Edmonton wants it to be ran by the province. Lethbridge apparently wants it to be ran locally.

Is anything go to be figured out anytime soon?

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I know very little about the guy Braidwood is fighting next. However, the guy is 40 and has lost 4 straight with 3 straight ko's.

Miss match before the fight even starts again.

With that being said it's not in Edmonton, which brings up another question. What is happening with the whole governing body right now? Provincial government wants it ran locally. Edmonton wants it to be ran by the province. Lethbridge apparently wants it to be ran locally.

Is anything go to be figured out anytime soon?

To the best of my knowledge, the 3rd party investigation into the ECSC still hasn't happened yet, so the matter is not likely to be resolved soon.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Looks like Nunes v Shevchenko fight will be at 215. That would be unfortunate and kind of makes sense if you look at the schedule of title fights and injuries. I'll bet Mighty Mouse ends up on it as well.

Johnson vs Borg
Nunes vs Shevchenko
JDS vs Ngannou
Melendez vs Stephens
TBA

Reis vs Cejudo (prelim main event)

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Looks like Nunes v Shevchenko fight will be at 215. That would be unfortunate and kind of makes sense if you look at the schedule of title fights and injuries. I'll bet Mighty Mouse ends up on it as well.

Johnson vs Borg
Nunes vs Shevchenko
JDS vs Ngannou
Melendez vs Stephens
TBA

Reis vs Cejudo (prelim main event)

Yup you are correct. Mighty Mouse headlining. I will be saving money by not going.

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/07/ufc-21...ray-borg-amanda-nunes-vs-valentina-shevchenko

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Brutal what a let down, was looking forward to attending but now wont be going. Minnie Mouse main card lol

The only fight I would care to see is JDS and hes now washed up.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
What a letdown. Been waiting for months with anticipation and hoping for a awesome card. Started off alright with some of the undercard but those mains...and I like DJ. Maybe beat the crowd out...haha.

Really? People have sand in their lady bits because of a card that has two title fights? Are you guys bloody insane? I don't get the hate on Mighty Mouse, he's an amazing fighter, and finishes fights. Nunes vs Schevchenko will be a good fight and the JDS/Ngannou fight should be awesome.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
This is the 7th UFC event ill be going to. Not an absolute banger of a card but far from the worst. For the guys saying they aren't going, you should reconsider. A live UFC is an awesome experience.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
Brutal what a let down, was looking forward to attending but now wont be going. Minnie Mouse main card lol

The only fight I would care to see is JDS and hes now washed up.

most cards in recent memory have been underwhelming. This one, especially. was super pumped when I heard Edmonton was getting a UFC PPV event, now, seeing this card, I could care less.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
most cards in recent memory have been underwhelming. This one, especially. was super pumped when I heard Edmonton was getting a UFC PPV event, now, seeing this card, I could care less.

How are two title fights underwhelming? People basically act like a card is trash these days if it doesn't have Connor or Jon Jones on it. We have 2 title fights, a fight with title implications, Jeremy Stephens vs Melendez is violence personified, hell even a few solid prospects with guys like Gavin TUcker in there.

It's not one of the absolute top tier cards on paper, but it's pretty damn solid.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
i didnt mind Mighty Mouse until he refused to fight Dillashaw. Took the easiest fight to break Silva's record.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yup card would of been a lot better with Minnie Mouse on fighting Dillashaw, but nope hes a baby.

And the Nunes fight should be alright but Nunes will destroy her, if she even fights at all?

This card is a let down for me. I dont even consider these 2 title fights as real weight classes. This card really shouldnt even be a PPV.

Jun 22, 2009
How are two title fights underwhelming? People basically act like a card is trash these days if it doesn't have Connor or Jon Jones on it. We have 2 title fights, a fight with title implications, Jeremy Stephens vs Melendez is violence personified, hell even a few solid prospects with guys like Gavin TUcker in there.

It's not one of the absolute top tier cards on paper, but it's pretty damn solid.

Wouldn't have killed them to put a Tony Furgeson or Khabib fight. We got the 2 worst divisions in the sport here. I'd rather have no tittle fights if it meant actual good fights from good divisions. Mighty mouse hasn't even been on a ppv since last year and that was because three fights were pulled from the card. Hasn't headlined a card since 2015... guess where the event was held, Non other then Montreal, another boring Canadian card. He's not a good draw, nobody wants to watch guys fight at 120 pounds. Comeon Dana.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
When they announced that the UFC was coming to Edmonton I told my friend that the headliner will be either a woman's title or the 125 division title. Every other champ was scheduled during the summer. It will be an entertaining card but the PPV numbers will be horrible. Nunes is one of the most exciting female fighter to watch and the main card should see most of the fights end by TKO or submission.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Mighty Mouse is so underrated, it's ridiculous. Guy is arguably the most technical and easily the most well rounded fighter in MMA. #1 Pound for pound fighter in my eyes. A living legend but people prefer to watch washed up one dimensional fighters slug it out? :laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really? People have sand in their lady bits because of a card that has two title fights? Are you guys bloody insane? I don't get the hate on Mighty Mouse, he's an amazing fighter, and finishes fights. Nunes vs Schevchenko will be a good fight and the JDS/Ngannou fight should be awesome.

Casual fans don't like the smaller divisions. They want Heavy's throwing bombs

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Mighty Mouse is so underrated, it's ridiculous. Guy is arguably the most technical and easily the most well rounded fighter in MMA. #1 Pound for pound fighter in my eyes. A living legend but people prefer to watch washed up one dimensional fighters slug it out? :laugh:

The lighter weight classes in MMA don't have the casual fans respect yet. It doesn't help that the UFC does almost nothing to promote MM. if they put the hype train behind him like they did for Rousey you will see the 125 division become much more popular. MM doesn't just win, he dominates everyone he fights.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Like I said, I like DJ, he's very personable and his technical striking is amazing....but, for whatever reasons his fights aren't overly exciting and he can't carry a main event. Now if he was the co-main under Stipe and Cain, nobody would even bat an eye.

Nunes....meh. WMMA just doesn't do it for me and I've seen Rousey live.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
how can you put a hype train behind a guy who decided to take the easy way out? If he was fighting Dillashaw, i would have pumped. Its going to be an easy win for him at 215.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad