OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I have Mayweather winning but it's not as easy as ppeople think. Mayweather is 40 and hasn't fought in 2 years. Considerably smaller and is fighting a south paw. McGregor will fight this bout wide open leaving himself exposed but also giving him the advantage in loading that left hand. If McGregor catches him it could be over since Floyd hasn't been tested in 2 years. That chin won't be the same

Yeah 40 is not that big of a deal. There have been plenty of 40 plus champions in boxing that were still great champions. Foreman and Bernard Hopkins as an example, Hopkins was destroying fighters 10 and 15 years younger.

Also, i can't believe there is someone out there that will actually make me cheer for Mayweather. I can't stand the guy, but this is a circus and Connor needs to be humbled and go away forever with his huge pay cheque. The guy is more of a sideshow attraction than he is a fighter. He rarely defends his belts, switches divisions constantly and has been blessed with the UFC helping him duck better fighters.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yeah 40 is not that big of a deal. There have been plenty of 40 plus champions in boxing that were still great champions. Foreman and Bernard Hopkins as an example, Hopkins was destroying fighters 10 and 15 years younger.

Also, i can't believe there is someone out there that will actually make me cheer for Mayweather. I can't stand the guy, but this is a circus and Connor needs to be humbled and go away forever with his huge pay cheque. The guy is more of a sideshow attraction than he is a fighter. He rarely defends his belts, switches divisions constantly and has been blessed with the UFC helping him duck better fighters.
This is ridiculous he beat everyone.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
McGregor won't be able to stop Mayweather. I respect Mayweather for his absolute mastery of boxing but this will be another typical boring Mayweather fight. My guess is 12 round decision for Mayweather or no contest/Mcgregor disqualified for some antics.

Either way I guarantee you there will be some sort of controversy leaving the door open for another lucrative rematch.

This is probably the biggest joke boxing match of all time if you guys wanna see a real fight it happens about a month after this one between GGG and Canelo Alvarez. Or whenever Lomachenko steps back into the ring to dominate another opponent. Dude is insane.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012

he beat aldo, who was one of the greatest pound for pound fighters at that time. but let me guess, lucky shot? he beat the 155 champ as well.

any other ufc fighter would do the same thing as him if they had the chance. he gets more money for one fight, than his entire ufc career.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Standup in boxing isn't like the UFC. A guy gets knocked down in the UFC and the fights over. There's no standing 8 count, 3 knockdowns for a TKO etc. Then you add in the bigger gloves and there's almost zero chance that Mcgregor gets a lucky knockout. Maywesther is the greatest defensive boxer of all time, Mcgregor will barely touch him. I won't order this fight but I'll definitely go to a bar and watch it. This could be the biggest PPV of all time.

Agreed. I know people are saying there is always a chance for the lucky knockout but I don't see it. He is going to be using boxing gloves and has to hit him hard enough to keep him on the ground for 10 seconds. It would require a perfectly clean shot and I just can't see Mayweather giving that up. Fighters with much better technique and faster hands don't land clean shots on Mayweather.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
this would be extra epic if floyd takes his 200mil purse and washes it through homies to bet on mcgregor to take a dive and make out with literally a billion dollars.

i mean he wont ruin his legacy like that but i guarantee if mcgregor somehow pulls off the impossible that will be all the talk

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Mayweather should just kick the **** out of him with ease. Junk fight for idiotic money.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Nate is one of the best boxers in MMA, Mayweather is one of the best boxers to ever box in the history of boxing, there has to be a level of distinction there.

Oh for sure there is but what about his chin cause Conor's gonna hit him with that left and Nate has 10 times the chin as money may

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So you saying Nates a bad boxer?:shakehead

No I'm saying Nate Diaz is a pretty good boxer, and McGregor barely beat him (well, lost to him once actually).

Surely you can see the difference between a pretty good boxer and one of the greatest technical boxers of all time?

McGregor was trained by an Olympic boxer?

Mayweather was an Olympic boxer.

McGregor has been boxing since he was 12?

Mayweather has been a world champion in boxing since before McGregor was 12.

I wont say McGregor has no chance, we can never know how quickly age catches up to a professional athlete and it will be almost 2 years between fights for Mayweather. But if he's still the same level of fighter he was when he last fought, Connor has no chance.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
No I'm saying Nate Diaz is a pretty good boxer, and McGregor barely beat him (well, lost to him once actually).

Surely you can see the difference between a pretty good boxer and one of the greatest technical boxers of all time?

I wont say McGregor has no chance, we can never know how quickly age catches up to a professional athlete and it will be almost 2 years between fights for Mayweather. But if he's still the same level of fighter he was when he last fought, Connor has no chance.

No argument to be made your opinions are fair

Just have to watch and see

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

You should ask Tyson when he started boxing. If you possess power you have power. While Mayweather is still a good boxer, he's 5 years passed his prime. And in the world of fighting, 40 years is old even for Mayweather. Some days you could wake up and not have it anymore. Speed, power, reach and youth are in Conor's favor.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Mcgregor is awkward on his feet as a stand up fighter. His head movement is non existent and he relies on his chin to hold up during those 5 round battles. His cardio has also been questioned a lot of times, he got tired against Diaz in the first fight and it cost him.

Dude gets popped a lot basically and you aren't going to win in points against a points fighter if you are going to get hit 50 times a round which will happen in this fight. Hes going to get jabbed into oblivion.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This is ridiculous he beat everyone.

No he didn't, he lost to a mediocre Diaz (and no he's not a WW, even if they did fight at that weight) and clearly ducked his worst stylistic matchup in Edgar. He passed Swanson on the way up too, and his boxing is probably the best in the division and probably better than Diaz's too. He did beat Mendes and Aldo but Mendes was on short notice and Aldo certainly deserved a rematch given what he'd accomplished since as we've seen with Serra vs GSP it could easily be a fluke. He also beat Holloway but he was something like 21 and on his way to improving. McGregor was given preferential treatment all the way. Even at LW he got lucky to fight a very weak champ in Alvarez in a division that everybody knows that the two best guys are actually Ferguson and Khabib. McGregor is a very good fighter no doubt but in MMA styles make fights and he's always been gifted matchups that avoid his weaknesses.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
he beat aldo, who was one of the greatest pound for pound fighters at that time. but let me guess, lucky shot? he beat the 155 champ as well.

any other ufc fighter would do the same thing as him if they had the chance. he gets more money for one fight, than his entire ufc career.

It needs to be said that it had been pretty evident for awhile that Aldo was slowing down and no longer near as dominant. He had just been in one of the craziest wars of all time with a very heavy handed Mendes and we've seen lots of times that guys aren't the same after that. Even against Edgar last time Aldo just used his size and reach advantage to pick Edgar apart in a very boring fight, he's simply not the amazing athlete he once was. Time catches up to guys, especially in MMA and when you fight no one but the best.

Obviously no one can say he was lucky to beat Aldo, it's a legit victory, but people can say we have no idea if it would happen again. McGregor himself avenged his last loss against Diaz, although very via a very debatable decision.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Mcgregor wins fights, and there are always excuses why he should have fought fighter A, or fighter B, etc instead. How did he duck Edgar when Edgar couldnt even beat Aldo? He also took Mendes on a short notice.

Funny how Mcgregor has been lucky or beating washed up fighters to winning two belts.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No he didn't, he lost to a mediocre Diaz (and no he's not a WW, even if they did fight at that weight) and clearly ducked his worst stylistic matchup in Edgar. He passed Swanson on the way up too, and his boxing is probably the best in the division and probably better than Diaz's too. He did beat Mendes and Aldo but Mendes was on short notice and Aldo certainly deserved a rematch given what he'd accomplished since as we've seen with Serra vs GSP it could easily be a fluke. He also beat Holloway but he was something like 21 and on his way to improving. McGregor was given preferential treatment all the way. Even at LW he got lucky to fight a very weak champ in Alvarez in a division that everybody knows that the two best guys are actually Ferguson and Khabib. McGregor is a very good fighter no doubt but in MMA styles make fights and he's always been gifted matchups that avoid his weaknesses.
I mean he went up how many weight classes to fight Diaz? And he beat him the 2nd time anyway. Easy guy to love or hate so I get it but give credit where credit is due.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
this would be extra epic if floyd takes his 200mil purse and washes it through homies to bet on mcgregor to take a dive and make out with literally a billion dollars.

i mean he wont ruin his legacy like that but i guarantee if mcgregor somehow pulls off the impossible that will be all the talk

The weirdest thing about this fight, and everything about it is weird, is the early odds. Nobody thinks Macgregor has any chance whatsoever in beating Mayweather but he's only paying off at +350. Guy should be at least +1000, probably even much more. This is just goofy. I wouldn't touch this fight.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I mean he went up how many weight classes to fight Diaz? And he beat him the 2nd time anyway. Easy guy to love or hate so I get it but give credit where credit is due.

Diaz went up a weight class too, Diaz is a LW. You do know why McGregor went up two weight classes right? Because Diaz took it on something like 2 weeks notice and had no chance to drop the weight, considering McGregor didn't have to do a massive cut it was a huge advantage for him regardless of Diaz being unprepared. The 2nd fight was also razor thin and highly debatable, many scored it for Diaz and McGregor was almost stopped multiple times and despite the knockdowns Diaz was never in the same degree of trouble.

I gave him plenty of credit but he hasn't reached anywhere near the pinnacle of the sport. Being a long time defending champion who fights the best and continually beats them is the pinnacle. Mighty Mouse, Cruz, Faber, Aldo, Edgar, Silva, Dos Santos these guys didn't just get a big win or two and get to avoid bad matchups. In MMA everyone has their kryptonite and the UFC has done everything possible to make sure McGregor has avoided his, including having him fight a mediocre LW in Diaz at WW. When you get to skip killers like Swanson, Edgar, Ferguson, and Khabib on your way to the top it's obvious you've been gifted favourable matchups. When Diaz or Porier is your fourth best victory in the UFC and you've held two belts, and no it's not Holloway he was a kid and the difference he showed between fights against Swanson is proof, then it's pretty obvious you've been given every advantage. To many longtime followers it's been a joke, the casuals and WWE crowd are who love McGregor. Great fighter with unreal potential but he's not a legend, he's a product of hype and getting a huge push. Not to say he has nothing to do with that, just that it's all been over the top.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
so basically to summarize:

1) Mcgregor only beat Max Holloway cause he was an up and comer fighter. Holloway would beat Mcgregor if they fought today.
2) Mcgregor only beat Mendes cause Mendes took the fight on two weeks notice
3) Mcgregor only beat Aldo because Aldo was projecting downwards anyway
4) Mcgregor only beat Alvarez cause he was the worst 155 champ in the history of the ufc
5) Mcgregor should have lost the second fight to Diaz

Gotcha, waiting for the so called credit you give Mcgregor.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
You should ask Tyson when he started boxing. If you possess power you have power. While Mayweather is still a good boxer, he's 5 years passed his prime. And in the world of fighting, 40 years is old even for Mayweather. Some days you could wake up and not have it anymore. Speed, power, reach and youth are in Conor's favor.

except Mayweather was never built on power, he is technically near impossible to hit for the best boxers in the world. and he is fighting someone who doesnt even have an amateur boxing match.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
The weirdest thing about this fight, and everything about it is weird, is the early odds. Nobody thinks Macgregor has any chance whatsoever in beating Mayweather but he's only paying off at +350. Guy should be at least +1000, probably even much more. This is just goofy. I wouldn't touch this fight.

yeah thats crazy, wasnt Rousey odds like -1500 to +1100 or something before she got slapped out by holm? the odds on this are very odd and im curious how much the line moves in the next month or so.

i would absolutely love Macgregor to win i just think his chances are very slim. he has to knock floyd out because no matter how good people think he might be he cant out box one of the greatest of all time for 12 rounds.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Mcgregor wins fights, and there are always excuses why he should have fought fighter A, or fighter B, etc instead. How did he duck Edgar when Edgar couldnt even beat Aldo? He also took Mendes on a short notice.

Funny how Mcgregor has been lucky or beating washed up fighters to winning two belts.

lol people talking like he is bisping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad