OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Continue here.

I donno how I feel about Hendricks fighting GSP. Basically we are saying the same thing about him as everyone said about Koscheck. Granted Hendricks seems to use that knockout power more effectively. But he's had a couple of pretty lack luster fights and in all honesty probably should have lost his decision to Koscheck.

I just don't know if he poses a realistic threat beyond punchers chance.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

old thread reached max

Hendricks needs one more fight, IMO. Diaz or Condit maybe. He'd have trouble out-striking either of those two. Until then, I don't believe the hype.

I think he's got great power, but not technical enough to beat GSP. Kampmann had a bad fight. He wasn't moving his head at all and pretty much walked right into that one. Hendricks would have to get pretty lucky to land a punch like that on GSP. He's the master of game plans.

Meanwhile Hendricks has been pumping his own tires with the same song we've heard from everyone that's fought GSP. "I'm gonna knock him out. I've got better power. I'm a better wrestler. I finish fights...." Blah blah blah. Everyone who is a better striker gets out-struck. Everyone who is a better wrestler ends up on their arse inside of 10 seconds and stays there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio
Hendricks needs one more fight, IMO. Diaz or Condit maybe. He'd have trouble out-striking either of those two. Until then, I don't believe the hype.

I think he's got great power, but not technical enough to beat GSP. Kampmann had a bad fight. He wasn't moving his head at all and pretty much walked right into that one. Hendricks would have to get pretty lucky to land a punch like that on GSP. He's the master of game plans.

Meanwhile Hendricks has been pumping his own tires with the same song we've heard from everyone that's fought GSP. "I'm gonna knock him out. I've got better power. I'm a better wrestler. I finish fights...." Blah blah blah. Everyone who is a better striker gets out-struck. Everyone who is a better wrestler ends up on their arse inside of 10 seconds and stays there.
I don't agree man. He's coming off wins over fitch, who was the consensus #2 guy for what seems like forever and was the only guy to finish him in the ufc, koscheck who was been a top 10 WW for a long time now and has fought gsp twice, and kampmann who just finished fighters like alves and ellenburger and really hadn't had a clear cut loss in 3 years. Not even Paul Daley who landed like 5 flush hooks on Kampmann could put him away and Johnny did that with one shot.

When you look at how guys like hardy, shields, and koscheck got their title shots it's not even close to what hendricks has done in his past 3. The only thing that should be standing in his way is the potential fight of anderson and gsp.

Love diaz but how does he deserve a fight with Johnny?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't agree that Hendricks needs one more fight. No one is technically good enough to beat GSP, but Hendricks has that one shot power that can beat him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Continue here.

I donno how I feel about Hendricks fighting GSP. Basically we are saying the same thing about him as everyone said about Koscheck. Granted Hendricks seems to use that knockout power more effectively. But he's had a couple of pretty lack luster fights and in all honesty probably should have lost his decision to Koscheck.

I just don't know if he poses a realistic threat beyond punchers chance.

Again, then who for GSP? He deserves it more than a lot of the others being mentioned. Maybe they give Marquardt a shot as a way to unify the titles, but in my books Hendricks has to be at the top of guys for GSP to fight next. Unless GSP leaves the division.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Again, then who for GSP? He deserves it more than a lot of the others being mentioned. Maybe they give Marquardt a shot as a way to unify the titles, but in my books Hendricks has to be at the top of guys for GSP to fight next. Unless GSP leaves the division.

I'm hoping he fights Hendricks next but knowing Dana, he'll go for the big money fight with Diaz.

I think GSP vs Silva never happens.

PepsiFiend

Feb 19, 2009
I don't agree that Hendricks needs one more fight. No one is technically good enough to beat GSP, but Hendricks has that one shot power that can beat him.

Condit also had that one shot KO power, outside of Serra clipping GSP, he hasn't really been in position to be Ko'ed (minus the head kick from Condit), but I think he was just a little rusty in that fight... I do agree with you though that Hendricks doesn't need another fight, why risk a new challenger to potentially lose his shot over someone GSP has already beaten! Unless it is Diaz of course!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ugh

Joe Ferraro ‏@ShowdownJoe
A few sources have informed me that @UrijahFaber will take on @IvanMenjivar at @UFC 156 - big things in store for the winner. #DoTheMath :)

So Urijah fights Menjivar and winner gets Barao? Is the division that weak?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
just another rason why the lower weights are bunk, faber barao was the carppiest fight i have ever seen live.

as long as that fight is on the undercards it will be good i guess.

Hendricks deserves a title shot imo, but the UFC needs to build him up, his last 2 fights have ended in seconds and the casual fan wont recognize him. they should have Hendricks fight diaz ideally. but it may be better to have hendricks fight the winner of BJ rory. you dont want diaz to fight anyone he wont easily beat because a GSP/Diaz fight has big time $$ involved.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
just another rason why the lower weights are bunk, faber barao was the carppiest fight i have ever seen live.

as long as that fight is on the undercards it will be good i guess.

Hendricks deserves a title shot imo, but the UFC needs to build him up, his last 2 fights have ended in seconds and the casual fan wont recognize him. they should have Hendricks fight diaz ideally. but it may be better to have hendricks fight the winner of BJ rory. you dont want diaz to fight anyone he wont easily beat because a GSP/Diaz fight has big time $$ involved.

You must have shown up late for the Calgary card. The Kongo fight was brutal, as was the Boetsch/Lombard fight. Not saying the Faber fight was good, but nowhere near as pathetic as those 2.

Something tells me that GSP will push for Diaz next but with him losing his last fight and coming off a year suspension (not to mention he "retired" acting like a baby after his loss), Dana will give Hendricks his shot.

Crystal Ball Time :)

GSP vs Hendricks (GSP UD)
Diaz vs Koscheck (Diaz UD--warm up fight for Nick)
Kampmann vs Rory (Rory TKO via ground & pound)
Ellenberger vs Condit (Condit TKO)
Fitch vs Maia (UFC 156) (Fitch UD)
E.Silva vs Heiron (UFC 156) (E. Silva TKO)

After these are done:

GSP vs Diaz (Money fight for UFC + the fight GSP wants)
Rory vs E. Silva (Next wave of fighters)
Fitch vs Condit (Winner gets title shot?)
Hendricks vs Ellenberger (Ellenberger is begging for this)

....I predict about 10% of these predictions come true...:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You must have shown up late for the Calgary card. The Kongo fight was brutal, as was the Boetsch/Lombard fight. Not saying the Faber fight was good, but nowhere near as pathetic as those 2.

Something tells me that GSP will push for Diaz next but with him losing his last fight and coming off a year suspension (not to mention he "retired" acting like a baby after his loss), Dana will give Hendricks his shot.

After these are done:

Diaz needs more like this

Diaz vs. Junie Browning (battle of the guys that go crazy before the fight happens and then gets cancelled)
Diaz vs. Parisyan (Diaz with yet another nervous breakdown, but fight called as Karo fails drug test)
Diaz vs retirement

Little Diaz vs media (complains brother wasn't given a fair shot)

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Diaz needs more like this

Diaz vs. Junie Browning (battle of the guys that go crazy before the fight happens and then gets cancelled)
Diaz vs. Parisyan (Diaz with yet another nervous breakdown, but fight called as Karo fails drug test)
Diaz vs retirement

Little Diaz vs media (complains brother wasn't given a fair shot)

diaz already got his ass beat by karo, although i dont think karo would even show up to sign a contract let alone show up to get a revenge whipping from diaz. also then the 209 squad jumps in the cage and starts whoopin everyones ass.

ps i know that diaz agruably won that fight, my bud is a huge diaz fan so i always talk about the fight like Karo destroyed him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
diaz already got his ass beat by karo, although i dont think karo would even show up to sign a contract let alone show up to get a revenge whipping from diaz. also then the 209 squad jumps in the cage and starts whoopin everyones ass.

ps i know that diaz agruably won that fight, my bud is a huge diaz fan so i always talk about the fight like Karo destroyed him.

I just have zero respec for Diaz, he's the Sean Avery of MMA for me. Any other guy would've been tossed to the side a long time ago, yet Dana holds onto him.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
the difference is avery is medicore at best hockey player, diaz win or lose is exciting. dana is in the business of selling fights, not having model citizens. diaz's antics and pot smoking are something anyone from the outside sees (including me) as disrespectful and such a waste of talent. but if im buying a ppv i would rather see diaz fight anyone than 90% of the other fights available.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
i think diaz is a giant puss for not fighting mayhem miller, regardless of miller now, then he had just fought for the strikeforce MW title. then diaz sucker punches him in the back of the head and then refused to fight him. which would have been an ultimate grudge match and money maker. diaz had just fought twice @ 185 so it wasnt like there was a huge size difference. diaz ducked him 100%, and the funny part is he probably would have boxed his dome in, but he ducked and is a coward because of it. ducking gsp was just as bad imo.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Diaz is the man, like him or not he is one of the most entertaining fighters out there. The guy always brings it.. if he shows up

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

After these are done:

Meia has gone back to his roots. He subs Jon Fitch. Bold statement I know but if he even pulls guard, Fitch could be *****ed. I realize how tough Fitch is to sub but I honestly think Meia wins.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Diaz is the man, like him or not he is one of the most entertaining fighters out there. The guy always brings it.. if he shows up

Love him. Always been one of my favorite fighters. I think he is misunderstood, and his "bad boy gangster image" is a result of severe social anxiety, and anger in life. At least he comes to fight and isn't another "round winner".

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

After these are done:

Depends on which Fitch shows up. Rich Fitch or Broke Fitch. As we saw against Eric Silva. Broke Fitch is an animal.

I also don't see Rory/Silva anytime soon because they are going to want those two to fight each other in 3 or 4 years near the top of the division, not in the middle of the pack.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
the difference is avery is medicore at best hockey player, diaz win or lose is exciting. dana is in the business of selling fights, not having model citizens. diaz's antics and pot smoking are something anyone from the outside sees (including me) as disrespectful and such a waste of talent. but if im buying a ppv i would rather see diaz fight anyone than 90% of the other fights available.

how on earth is smoking pot being disrespectful and wasting talent?

Love him. Always been one of my favorite fighters. I think he is misunderstood, and his "bad boy gangster image" is a result of severe social anxiety, and anger in life. At least he comes to fight and isn't another "round winner".

I agree, he is one comlpex dude. His fight with gomi is still my all time favorite fight and I don't see that ever changing

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Meia has gone back to his roots. He subs Jon Fitch. Bold statement I know but if he even pulls guard, Fitch could be *****ed. I realize how tough Fitch is to sub but I honestly think Meia wins.

I hear ya, that's why I said UD, can't see either guy being submitted. Could definitely go either way

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Depends on which Fitch shows up. Rich Fitch or Broke Fitch. As we saw against Eric Silva. Broke Fitch is an animal.

I also don't see Rory/Silva anytime soon because they are going to want those two to fight each other in 3 or 4 years near the top of the division, not in the middle of the pack.

Silva isn't young though. He's like 27 or 28. He will want a big fight ASAP. Even if he fights Rory in a year from now (6 months?), he'd still likely be another fight away from a title fight.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
how on earth is smoking pot being disrespectful and wasting talent?

I agree, he is one comlpex dude. His fight with gomi is still my all time favorite fight and I don't see that ever changing

i said his antics and pot smoking which have caused him 2 suspensions and a title fight/ppv headline/champion vs champion fight. of course a stoner would leave out the first part of what i said.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005

broke fitch is the man, i hope he comes back poorer than before because that last fight was awesome.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
broke fitch is the man, i hope he comes back poorer than before because that last fight was awesome.

Seriously. Broke Fitch is one of my favorite fighters. Just pure skill and aggression. Rich Fitch is like a shot of Ambien in the middle of a fight card.

I actually expect this fight to look a lot like Maia vs MacDonald, but with Maia getting overwhelmed at some point.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
yeah fitch is too strong, broke or not maia wont sub him, the only difference is broke fitch will smash him with punches and elbows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad