OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
On a side note. Is the reason the Tim Hague investigation hasn't started to do with UFC 215? Seems like they are just dragging their ass so that something doesn't prevent 215 from happening.

What makes matters even a little bit more intriguing for me is that KO Boxing has an event September 22nd. You'd think an investigation should be done before they are able to promote again.

Curious to see how it all plays out for that event as Braidwood is fighting on the 8th and then scheduled for the 22nd. Technically he potentially shouldn't even be fighting on the 22nd due to mandatory medical suspension.

There shouldn't even have to be an investigation. Hague was KO'd 3 times in the last year plus who knows what happened to him in training. He should have never been allowed to fight that soon.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There shouldn't even have to be an investigation. Hague was KO'd 3 times in the last year plus who knows what happened to him in training. He should have never been allowed to fight that soon.

Which is fine, but there needs to be accountability so that this doesn't happen again. Although him getting into an argument a few months before saying he'll die in the ring if he wants isn't going to help the family's case if they go to court.

What needs to happen though is for some findings to come from this to determine what everyone's responsibilities should be going forward. Braidwood was lined up to fight a 40 ish guy that's been knocked out 5 of his last 7 fights. That has now been changed, but the guy he is fighting now really isn't much better. Granted this fight is in BC it should still raise some flags.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I put 200 on Mcgregor because the odds are there, but I think Money wins.

I'm also putting $200 on Conor. This is also coming from a guy who always bet on Mayweather as I'm a big fan of his style. Stylistically, Conor has a chance. It's not as lopsided as people think.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm also putting $200 on Conor. This is also coming from a guy who always bet on Mayweather as I'm a big fan of his style. Stylistically, Conor has a chance. It's not as lopsided as people think.

Of course he has a chance. Boxing there is always a chance you land that great punch. I just don't see Conor out boxing Mayweather for 12 rounds unless that big punch lands early or if Mayweather breaks his hands in round 1.

Then again Mayweather also plans on partying all week.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Not sure what the odds are now, but I think I got them at +1400

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Of course he has a chance. Boxing there is always a chance you land that great punch. I just don't see Conor out boxing Mayweather for 12 rounds unless that big punch lands early or if Mayweather breaks his hands in round 1.

Then again Mayweather also plans on partying all week.

I have a feeling Conor will catch Floyd with a left uppercut/bolo punch.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I have a feeling Conor will catch Floyd with a left uppercut/bolo punch.

Things will sure be interesting in the first 4 rounds, where we get to see how Floyd will interpret Connor's stance and size/reach. If Connor can tag him, put money on it happening before the 5th-6th. Rounds 6-12 will belong to Floyd without a doubt, and I could even see Floyd scoring a knockdown late if he is really piecing him up. :popcorn:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well the UFC better hope Connor doesn't get knocked out. Would not be a good week for them if Connor is knocked out and Jones yet again is caught doping.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Still worth it, TOTALLY worth it.

Edit: Even Better would be McGregor doing something, hurting Mayweather, getting the financial fines, suing Mayweather and winning the case.

Easy to say as the guy not having to give up millions and millions of dollars.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can't believe that Jones is that stupid....like seriously?

I really was surprised. Just been so much disappointment from the UFC the past few years.

Takes for ever to finally get guys all healthy/clean for a fight, so by the time a fight usually happens the hype is gone.

You then have the fights that make a statement and all of a sudden someone fails some sort of drug test.

And in this case we got both.

I almost wonder if the ultimate plan is for Dana to watch the UFC crumble and buy them for pennies on the dollars.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I really was surprised. Just been so much disappointment from the UFC the past few years.

Takes for ever to finally get guys all healthy/clean for a fight, so by the time a fight usually happens the hype is gone.

You then have the fights that make a statement and all of a sudden someone fails some sort of drug test.

And in this case we got both.

I almost wonder if the ultimate plan is for Dana to watch the UFC crumble and buy them for pennies on the dollars.

I'm getting pretty down on them as well. These gimmic fights instead of contender fights like Bisping vs GSP is disappointing.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
That's got to be a wrap for Jones eh? Too bad, the UFC needs another superstar more than ever.

Ya there isn't much reason to pay for a PPV anymore, no big draws (in my opinion at least)

I wish the UFC fight pass included the live PPV events. It's funny because I would pay the $96/year to have access to all the events, however, I will never rent the individual PPV's @ $60. So I just don't watch them unless I happen to be at a bar at the time.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
John Kavanaugh (Connor's coach) said in a recent interview that Connor has never strayed away from his martial arts mindset throughout this whole camp. He's not trying to fight Floyd as a 'boxer' but as a martial artist with a restricted set of rules. He mentioned that Connor immediately referenced Bruce Lee's 'be like water' comment and that he intends to 'become the cup'. For martial arts nerds like myself, that sends shivers down my spine. It's something out of a 1989 Van Damme movie. Connor is going to fight him in a boxing ring, with boxing rules, with a holistic JKD philosophy and game plan. I have no idea if he will be successful, but god dammit it makes me excited to see what happens!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->