OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
The lighter weight classes in MMA don't have the casual fans respect yet. It doesn't help that the UFC does almost nothing to promote MM. if they put the hype train behind him like they did for Rousey you will see the 125 division become much more popular. MM doesn't just win, he dominates everyone he fights.

That's probably most of the problem with the FW division. MM is so good you already know the outcome before it starts and he's so damn likeable it's hard to root against him.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
This is the 7th UFC event ill be going to. Not an absolute banger of a card but far from the worst. For the guys saying they aren't going, you should reconsider. A live UFC is an awesome experience.

Absolutely. If you've never been it's quite an experience. Hope the UFC sends some bigger names up to promote the Fan Experience. Most of these guys are quite personable and will spend some time talking to you and doing pics/autographs and whatnot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was reading about Lesnar vs. Jones. Of course this couldn't happen anytime soon as Lesnar still has a suspension to serve, but that would sure be quite a sell for the UFC.

They'd probably have to do it somewhere that doesn't take drug testing too seriously.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
I was reading about Lesnar vs. Jones. Of course this couldn't happen anytime soon as Lesnar still has a suspension to serve, but that would sure be quite a sell for the UFC.

They'd probably have to do it somewhere that doesn't take drug testing too seriously.

No doubt that it would sell HUGE. You never know, Brock might be back in the testing pool so that he can start serving his suspension. UFC could use him for sure, been a while since they've had a big main event. This weekends card is stacked, best one in a long time.

As for Jones/Lesnar, if it ever did happen, my money would be on Jones. I'm a huge Lesnar fan, but if Jones could beef up a bit and come into the fight around 235-240, I feel between his striking, and all around MMA game, he'd be able to take Brock out. Would love to see it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No doubt that it would sell HUGE. You never know, Brock might be back in the testing pool so that he can start serving his suspension. UFC could use him for sure, been a while since they've had a big main event. This weekends card is stacked, best one in a long time.

As for Jones/Lesnar, if it ever did happen, my money would be on Jones. I'm a huge Lesnar fan, but if Jones could beef up a bit and come into the fight around 235-240, I feel between his striking, and all around MMA game, he'd be able to take Brock out. Would love to see it.

I don't see Lesnar winning against Jones. I really don't think Lesnar is that great. Granted if he gets Jones down then Lesnar could win.

As for this weekends card, I agree. We usually don't get together in the summer for UFC cards, but the buddies are for this one.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I went on to TM, fair amount of tickets left but it looks like it's heading to a sellout IMO.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't see Lesnar winning against Jones. I really don't think Lesnar is that great. Granted if he gets Jones down then Lesnar could win.

As for this weekends card, I agree. We usually don't get together in the summer for UFC cards, but the buddies are for this one.

It's going to be interesting seeing Jones tonight, he looked far slower and less dynamic against OSP in his last fight. I don't know if it was ring rust, bulking/roiding up while suspended taking away speed, having been in some tough fights against Gus and DC, or a combination of all 3 but he wasn't the same fighter last time out.

With Cormier getting older, and he was around Jones' age now when he started MMA, and Jones being a complete wildcard it's going to be tough to say how this goes. Cormier doesn't have the stamina or hand speed of his early MMA days but if Jones is as slow and uncreative as he was against OSP, Cormier might actually have a chance on the feet. Personally i have a hard time seeing Cormier get Jones down given Jones is even bigger now and the height advantage gives him so much leverage but if Cormier ever does get him down it may be tough for Jones to get back up.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
****, I hope they find Ngannou a replacement. I was pumped for that fight.

PS I want to go on record. Connor knocks out Floyd in the 4th or 5th. #49-1

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
****, I hope they find Ngannou a replacement. I was pumped for that fight.

PS I want to go on record. Connor knocks out Floyd in the 4th or 5th. #49-1

Barring Mayweather throwing the fight I don't see how that will happen. Floyd has fought a lot of KO artists that were actual boxers and they couldn't do it.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Mcgregor should have no shot in this fight. I cant see a world where this fight is competitive.

#1 scenario - McGregor gets tooled and basically just collects his paycheck. Smart move by him as he can collect more money than he could ever imagine. But will leave a bad taste in peoples mouth and I dont think its good for the sport. This is what I think will happen.

#2 scenario - I am not really a conspiracy believer. But I could see something going fishy down in this fight. A scenario where McGregor gets a knockout via a thrown fight. I think the potential is there because the odds are so far in Mayweathers favor and theres a ton of money involved. Personally cant see it because I dont think Mayweather is going to throw away his unbeaten streak. Once again not good for the sport.

Will be interesting to see how the fight turns out, but I dont plan on watching it live because I think it will be a disappointing watch.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Mcgregor should have no shot in this fight. I cant see a world where this fight is competitive.

#1 scenario - McGregor gets tooled and basically just collects his paycheck. Smart move by him as he can collect more money than he could ever imagine. But will leave a bad taste in peoples mouth and I dont think its good for the sport. This is what I think will happen.

#2 scenario - I am not really a conspiracy believer. But I could see something going fishy down in this fight. A scenario where McGregor gets a knockout via a thrown fight. I think the potential is there because the odds are so far in Mayweathers favor and theres a ton of money involved. Personally cant see it because I dont think Mayweather is going to throw away his unbeaten streak. Once again not good for the sport.

Will be interesting to see how the fight turns out, but I dont plan on watching it live because I think it will be a disappointing watch.

I think if the fight is thrown it's because the rematch would just be unreal in terms of money.

I kinda chuckle at all the people that usually either don't watch ufc/boxing are so interested in this fight. Reminds me of Mayweather-Pacquiao. Once again people will be asking why were prelims better and why did this cost so much.

It's as if a lot of people want to be able to say "i was at so and so location" when the biggest fight of the world took place. Yet most will forget about the fight within a month

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Why not scenario 3 where McGregor, losing the traditional fight, reverts to his MMA traditional training and catches Mayweather with some non-boxing strikes. Then things meltdown from there.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On a side note. Is the reason the Tim Hague investigation hasn't started to do with UFC 215? Seems like they are just dragging their ass so that something doesn't prevent 215 from happening.

What makes matters even a little bit more intriguing for me is that KO Boxing has an event September 22nd. You'd think an investigation should be done before they are able to promote again.

Curious to see how it all plays out for that event as Braidwood is fighting on the 8th and then scheduled for the 22nd. Technically he potentially shouldn't even be fighting on the 22nd due to mandatory medical suspension.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I wasn't thinking that, but like a knee or elbow strikes. If he did and hurt Mayweather that would be OUTSTANDING.

I think there's an actual clause in the contract outlining what will happen if Mcgregor does any UFC strike on Mayweather. Financial fines would occur.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Does anyone know of a way to stream or buy the PPV on your phone and AirPlay/Mirror to Apple TV (Just to clarify I mean paying for it, not downloading illegally) - The problem is I am in a Ball Tournament this weekend and want to bring a TV and watch the fight on Saturday. Thanks in advance!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think there's an actual clause in the contract outlining what will happen if Mcgregor does any UFC strike on Mayweather. Financial fines would occur.

Still worth it, TOTALLY worth it.

Edit: Even Better would be McGregor doing something, hurting Mayweather, getting the financial fines, suing Mayweather and winning the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad