MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Lesnar is merely a free agent and he's already generated more MMA buzz this week than anyone. It's really something.

Oddsmakers have him as a slight favorite over Fedor and around a +260 dog against Jones. Can't say I agree.

Lesnar won't be able to keep Fedor down and Fedor's hands will be much quicker, and he still has one shot power. I don't see that fight going well for Lesnar.

I honestly don't think Jones could hurt Lesnar. Lesnar is a MUCH better fighter against guys without huge power. I'm not saying he'd beat Jones but I don't see his chances being any worse against Jones than Fedor, strictly stylistically.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bring Brock and Cain back and have them face each other for one last fight each

That’s probably the only way I have interest in Lesnar.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Teixeira positive for virus; Santos bout postponed

Absolutely gonna scud that card 9 days from now, and the fact that they would co-main to Holm/Aldana is a little bit funny but ok

Also looks like Bobby Green is taking another short notice fight on that card against Alan Patrick. He’s looked really good lately
Probably favors Santos to change it to a 3 round fight. With Glover's age and declining speed, I feel like he has to weather the storm early a lot. That's harder to do in a 3 round fight.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is annoying. I have plans that I can't get out of on the 19th, which looks like an awesome card with Colby/Woodley, Cerrone. Don't think I'll be able to watch it live.

But my schedule is wiiiiiide open for the Waterson/Hill and Overeem/Sakai headliners. Great.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The unfortunate thing is that I actually wouldn't mind seeing Waterson-Hill, but that card...woof. :laugh:

This weekend isn't much better.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The unfortunate thing is that I actually wouldn't mind seeing Waterson-Hill, but that card...woof. :laugh:

This weekend isn't much better.

only two fights I have any interest in are Billy Quarantillo vs Kyle Nelson and Khama Worthy vs Ottman Azaitar

I wonder if Worthy is a favorite yet after two huge underdog wins

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
If I were running the UFC, and Masvidal refused to fight Edwards, I'd strip him of the BMF title...

Then have Edwards fight Nate for the BMF title...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If I were running the UFC, and Masvidal refused to fight Edwards, I'd strip him of the BMF title...

Then have Edwards fight Nate for the BMF title...

Idk how you don’t understand that no big names would want to fight Leon Edwards right now. He’s got zero drawing power. He should take a wonderboy fight or something along those lines.

These guys can say no, but there is also zero incentive for Dana to do this as well.

Diaz would laugh you out of the building if you came to him with that

btw Leon is super talented but he’s also a point fighter who dominates boring positions so to have him in a BMF match makes it more of a joke than it already is

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If Edwards won't fight Thompson, he should probably wait it out and see what happens with Woodley/Colby. If Woodley wins, him v Edwards still makes sense.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

So this is the first time I actually believe it’s happening

Uncle Dana is totally gonna make Jorge-Nate, Nick-Conor on the same card this winter, isnt he?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

So this is the first time I actually believe it’s happening

Uncle Dana is totally gonna make Jorge-Nate, Nick-Conor on the same card this winter, isnt he?

I am firmly in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp when it comes to Nick Diaz.

But there's no way they would do Masvidal-Nate and Conor-Nick on the same card. It would be way too expensive and they could easily sell those as separate PPV headliners.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Watching Nick Diaz do anything these days is just sad. I wish him good health and an enjoyable life going forward but have no desire to see him ever fight again. He was piling up L's before a massive layoff, no reason to think it would go any better this time around. I get the name value but come on now...

Then again this is the same company talking about a 43 year old Brock Lesnar challenging the likes of Jones or Stipe. Just laugh out loud stupid, yet people actually seem interested and think it would be a competitive matchup.

I'm still down for Nate, but the Nick ship has sailed imo. Guess he needs the money and UFC is happy to oblige. Meh.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Watching Nick Diaz do anything these days is just sad. I wish him good health and an enjoyable life going forward but have no desire to see him ever fight again. He was piling up L's before a massive layoff, no reason to think it would go any better this time around. I get the name value but come on now...

Then again this is the same company talking about a 43 year old Brock Lesnar challenging the likes of Jones or Stipe. Just laugh out loud stupid, yet people actually seem interested and think it would be a competitive matchup.

I'm still down for Nate, but the Nick ship has sailed imo. Guess he needs the money and UFC is happy to oblige. Meh.
I don't think there's really a problem with Nick coming back. He's only 37 and yeah he had a couple losses, but they were to near prime Condit (no shame), arguably GOAT GSP (no shame), and up a weight class against a PED'ed Anderson which technically is a NC (no shame).

It's a long layoff no doubt and who knows how he would look, but as long as he doesn't step into a title fight, I don't really have any objection to it. I can't say I'm dying to see it either, but it would be intriguing. I don't know that Conor is the fight, but it would make a f***ton of money.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I was always down for a Nick Diaz return until his interview last year where he looked to be in rough shape. Apparently he has left Vegas and is back training with Nate and the rest of the team so maybe he's in a better place now.

As for who he'd fight, I don't think Conor is an option. The UFC is holding him out for the winner of Khabib/Gaethje and that's Nate's fight anyways. Nick hasn't fought in 5 years and hasn't won a fight in 9 years, which was over a much smaller and close to being washed BJ Penn. I have no clue what even makes sense at this point in his career. His camp says they're keeping an eye on the top WW fights coming up but I'm not seeing a fit there. I think putting him against Covington/Woodley is just a waste of him returning because he's going to be on his back for 25 mins and no one wants to see that. Maybe Masvidal if he beats Nate again? He should be fighting Edwards or back in the title picture in that scenario but I could see him taking a fight against Nick to potentially make more money. Previously I always wanted the Lawler rematch but that's probably not happening now.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was always down for a Nick Diaz return until his interview last year where he looked to be in rough shape. Apparently he has left Vegas and is back training with Nate and the rest of the team so maybe he's in a better place now.

As for who he'd fight, I don't think Conor is an option. The UFC is holding him out for the winner of Khabib/Gaethje and that's Nate's fight anyways. Nick hasn't fought in 5 years and hasn't won a fight in 9 years, which was over a much smaller and close to being washed BJ Penn. I have no clue what even makes sense at this point in his career. His camp says they're keeping an eye on the top WW fights coming up but I'm not seeing a fit there. I think putting him against Covington/Woodley is just a waste of him returning because he's going to be on his back for 25 mins and no one wants to see that. Maybe Masvidal if he beats Nate again? He should be fighting Edwards or back in the title picture in that scenario but I could see him taking a fight against Nick to potentially make more money. Previously I always wanted the Lawler rematch but that's probably not happening now.
If he's looking for one more big cash grab, then it is Conor or Masvidal (or GSP, but there's no way that GSP accepts that). If I was Nate, I wouldn't be thrilled with Nick fighting either of them. The Conor trilogy needs no explanation. If he loses to Masvidal again, then it looks like he had to go get his big brother to beat up the bully that was picking on him. (And then Masvidal probably f***s up Nick, too). If he beat Masvidal, then there should probably be a trilogy there as well. But who knows? Nate has always been very deferential to Nick, so maybe he would be fine with his brother getting a big pay day.

If Nick is looking to come back and take multiple fights, I think Lawler is a good one. It's a relatively big name, rematch, and isn't throwing Nick to the wolves right away. If he loses, he should probably go back into retirement. If he wins and looks good doing it, then we can start talking getting a top 10 or top 5 kind of guy.

My guess is he never actually comes back, though.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wake me up when Nick Diaz actually has a fight booked. Until then, I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad