MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 51464

I can't recall something like this before. I wonder if something is up with on of Gaethje and Khabib to make them do this.

Unless the idea is to have Chandler there to talk trash to whoever wins to try to set up the follow on. Idk, something seems off.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I can't recall something like this before. I wonder if something is up with on of Gaethje and Khabib to make them do this.

Unless the idea is to have Chandler there to talk trash to whoever wins to try to set up the follow on. Idk, something seems off.

They've had backup guys for other championship fights in the past. Maybe it was just an extra something to get him signed.

Reactions: CDJ

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Glad he signed with the UFC. I was pretty confident it was going to happen just by the way Dana talked about it.

I don't like him being the backup for Khabib-Gathje, though. I'd much prefer Tony if Gaethje drops out or Poirier if Khabib does.

I don't want any of them over there quarantining to be back ups. Ferguson and Poirier should be training to fight each other. Same with Chandler against someone like Oliveira.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Sounds like from what Ariel said in his last podcast Tony stuck to his guns in telling Dana he only wants the Poirier fight. I think Dana's plan once things fell apart with Dustin was to make Ferguson vs. Chandler on the same card as Khabib vs. Gaethje but Tony wasn't interested.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sounds like from what Ariel said in his last podcast Tony stuck to his guns in telling Dana he only wants the Poirier fight. I think Dana's plan once things fell apart with Dustin was to make Ferguson vs. Chandler on the same card as Khabib vs. Gaethje but Tony wasn't interested.
The tide seems to be shifting more towards the fighters. More and more of them are telling the UFC to go pound sand, they sit out a little bit, and then they get what they want. Nate did it. Masvidal did it. Jones seems to be in line for what he wants. I have a feeling Tony-Poirier is going to eventually happen. I'm sure Conor and Cejudo will be back eventually. I don't know if it is the pandemic or the lawsuit or what, but the UFC seems more likely to cave on stuff now than ever.

I understand why some fans don't like it, and to a certain extent, I agree, but I say more power to them. They are ones putting their long term health on the line.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Chimaev wants

Covington/Maia/Jorge/Wonderboy/Edwards

I think I’d let him do it and face one of them. He said the only thing that was different between them is their faces and that the result will be the same, they get smashed. Lol

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No need to have him fight that tier already. The absolute highest I would go is Magny but would rather him fight someone like Belal Muhammad or Cowboy Oliveira.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Assuming he keeps winning which is certainly not a guarantee in the top 15 of the WW division, I'd like Chimaev to fight Luque --> Maia/Chiesa --> someone in the top 5 --> title shot. That's a quick, but reasonable trajectory IMO. It also would show how he handles a striker, a grappler, and then an elite WW before getting a title shot.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Last edited:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Am I the only one who has zero interest in a Chimaev/Maia fight. I understand not super fast tracking the kid, but after what we just saw I'd prefer to see him fight someone a little higher in the rankings. Maia is extremely vanilla, and a guy I think we'd all expect Chimaev to run right through. I'd prefer to see his next fight against someone he isn't -500 against.

I just checked out of curiosity and I stand corrected. Maia is currently ranked 6. That's actually a pretty reasonable matchup rankings wise. I guess the fight just doesn't excite me.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t want to see it because I think it’s borderline elder abuse. I don’t think it would go much differently than Chimaev’s last fight. He will keep it standing and take Maia’s head off like Burns did

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Am I the only one who has zero interest in a Chimaev/Maia fight. I understand not super fast tracking the kid, but after what we just saw I'd prefer to see him fight someone a little higher in the rankings. Maia is extremely vanilla, and a guy I think we'd all expect Chimaev to run right through. I'd prefer to see his next fight against someone he isn't -500 against.
I don't think higher in the rankings, but I agree I'm not super excited about a Maia matchup. I want Luque. He'd probably be favored still, but it would be a tougher test than Maia IMO. Maia is a really easy style matchup for him IMO.

Dana said at the UFC 253 presser that Chimaev will main event a card against a ranked opponent. Wouldn't say who it was, though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I just checked out of curiosity and I stand corrected. Maia is currently ranked 6. That's actually a pretty reasonable matchup rankings wise. I guess the fight just doesn't excite me.

I don't think higher in the rankings, but I agree I'm not super excited about a Maia matchup. I want Luque. He'd probably be favored still, but it would be a tougher test than Maia IMO. Maia is a really easy style matchup for him IMO.

Dana said at the UFC 253 presser that Chimaev will main event a card against a ranked opponent. Wouldn't say who it was, though.

I don't have any interest in this fight either. I just don't really know what it proves - it seems like either he will be able to keep it standing and piece up Maia or it will go to the ground and Maia will submit him. Someone like Luque or Magny at WW makes much more sense to me.

Reactions: I am not exposed

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Oezdemir-Krylov slated for UFC co-main event

Sources: Santos-Teixeira being finalized for Nov. 7

Krylov-Volkan should be fun

Stefan Struve vs. Tai Tuivasa added to UFC 254

Tuivasa is back against Struve. Not cut after all

Merab Dvalishvili vs. Cody Stamann joins UFC's Dec. 5 lineup

Gonna be a grindfest

Also they made Villante vs Collier in a washed up bums fight, loser gets fired. I think Villante wins. Not gonna even bother to find a link because why would I waste more time than this sentence on this fight

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Colby saying they are targeting a Masvidal fight in December

Colby says a lot of things so I won’t believe it until it’s official but that would be fun. I think Colby would win in largely the same way Usman just did against Masvidal

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Reactions: I am not exposed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad