MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I thought the stoppage was fine. It reminded me of Yan/Aldo or Lesnar/Carwin where the guy getting beaten on was doing just enough to stay alive.

In these high stakes fights involving veterans I think it's extremely important to give guys the opportunity to fight through these situations as long as possible. If we are talking about young or low-level guys I think the opposite. Up to the ref to know the fighters and situation.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Ferguson-Poirier is gonna be f***ing ridiculous

We lost Lamas-Hall on next weeks card due to a Hall injury. Not supposed to be too bad so hopefully he’s back in there soonish. He may be the least active fighter in the ufc (mostly not his fault, guys don’t like facing unranked guys that will tear their ACL)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sounds like Ferguson/Poirier will happen later this year.

This should be a good one and I think it was the right fight to make. The only downside is that they've both lost badly to one of the guys in the title fight but that's something the UFC can worry about later. Conor's probably getting the next title shot anyways.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Last edited:
Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So if Glover beats Santos they kinda have to give him a title shot, no? That would be wild

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So if Glover beats Santos they kinda have to give him a title shot, no? That would be wild

I think the winner gets the next shot, yeah. Then the winner tonight fights Prochazka I guess?

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think the winner gets the next shot, yeah. Then the winner tonight fights Prochazka I guess?

might be premature but I think that guys future champ. Guy was smart, made sure he came over when he was ready

not many people can do what he did to Oezdemir. Dude used to train/spar with Rumble so he can take damage. First time he got laid out like that

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
might be premature but I think that guys future champ. Guy was smart, made sure he came over when he was ready

not many people can do what he did to Oezdemir. Dude used to train/spar with Rumble so he can take damage. First time he got laid out like that

Yeah I'm excited about him as well, but still lots to learn about him. I don't know if he can wrestle with the top of the division & there are still big question marks in regards to his striking defense. Looking forward to his next fight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah I'm excited about him as well, but still lots to learn about him. I don't know if he can wrestle with the top of the division & there are still big question marks in regards to his striking defense. Looking forward to his next fight.

Agreed, I will say that it’s a good sign he beat Lawal and Halsey in recent years tho. Halsey doesn’t get talked about a lot but he was a decent fighter who was a division 1 all American wrestler. The people he will fight in the UFC are better fighters than Halsey but I’m not sure if they have better wrestling. So beating him and Lawal isn’t decisive when saying he can light wrestlers up or anything, but it bodes well that he looks like he should be able to handle a wrestling threat

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Agreed, I will say that it’s a good sign he beat Lawal and Halsey in recent years tho. Halsey doesn’t get talked about a lot but he was a decent fighter who was a division 1 all American wrestler. The people he will fight in the UFC are better fighters than Halsey but I’m not sure if they have better wrestling. So beating him and Lawal isn’t decisive when saying he can light wrestlers up or anything, but it bodes well that he looks like he should be able to handle a wrestling threat

The good news is that the top of the division isn't as wrestling-heavy as it has been anyway. I think Anthony Smith would be a great test if he wins tonight.

Reactions: CDJ

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Can't wait for Adesanya vs Costa!

I don't remember the last time I was this excited for a fight...

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Here's what I do at 170lbs..

Usman/Burns - No explanation needed.

Covington/Woodley - Lots of heat behind it already. Can co-main a PPV or headline an ESPN card.

Masvidal/Diaz 2 - I get it doesn't make complete sense, but can headline a big PPV and will get Diaz to fight again. Nothing else for Masvidal is really appealing.

Leon Edwards/Stephen Thompson - Just a good fight that can headline an ESPN card.

Come on UFC, one more to go.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Is there a story behind why Ariel always calls him Nathan?

As someone who thought the first stoppage was terrible, it doesn't make sense....but I'm gonna watch. It does make slightly more sense now that Masvidal lost, though.

I don't know what Nate can really do differently this time. Boxing seemed to be pretty one sided. Nate's got good BJJ, but not good enough to submit Masvidal if Maia couldn't submit him even though he got his back. Can't be fighting for the BMF belt again and grind out a decision with wrestling if Nate would be able to do that anyway, which I doubt. Nate doesn't have 1 shot KO power. I think Nate should have been given a shot to try it, but I don't think Masvidal was really going away in the 4th and 5th. I don't see any paths to victory for Nate.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Pretty honest reflection from DC on the Stipe fight with only a little bit of excuse making. I'll definitely choose to remember this over the post fight interview.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This Baghdasaryan guy on the contender series looks fun

Needs more combos but he throws nothing but heat

aaaaaaand he predictably gassed. Just like Edman lol. Survived it pretty well tho and got the win

3 contracts awarded. Jimmy Flick is the LFA flyweight champ and he attacked submissions for 2.5 rounds before finally getting an arm triangles. Looked great. William Knight looked overmatched against a wrestler at the beginning of his fight then got up and managed to land heavy elbows on the guy when he shot for a double. Don’t know how guys Still let themselves get KO’d like that. Ronnie Lawrence came in as an underdog with a huge size disadvantage and ended up taking the guy down times. Looked well rounded. Dana really liked him in particular it seemed

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

I'm not sure why people like this...

Masvidal should be fighting Edwards... in fact, if I were Edwards, I'd refuse to fight anyone else... unless it was against Usman for the belt, or a big payday against McGregor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad