MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I doubt there's any punishment from the UFC either so he should be good to go sometime in the summer or fall unless he decides to step away for a bit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Short-term it's great news for Jones. Long-term I'm not so sure. He probably won't change until he has some actual consequences to his actions so this won't help that. Hopefully he gets some help for the alcohol problem he has.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Short-term it's great news for Jones. Long-term I'm not so sure. He probably won't change until he has some actual consequences to his actions so this won't help that. Hopefully he gets some help for the alcohol problem he has.

Somehow I think his problems are more than just alcohol related.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Has anyone watched the officer cam from the arrest? It's interesting. Jones seems to be one of those people where you have aspects of a child in a man's body. I know some people get increasingly emotional when they're drunk, but my guess is he's a pretty emotional guy with some underlying issues/insecurities that he legitimately struggles with. Doesn't excuse his countless incidents of bad behavior, but it does humanize him a bit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Somehow I think his problems are more than just alcohol related.

I'm sure he has other problems, most of us do to some extent. I'm also pretty sure he wouldn't be getting arrested for those other problems if he cut out the main one which is his problem with alcohol.

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Has anyone watched the officer cam from the arrest? It's interesting. Jones seems to be one of those people where you have aspects of a child in a man's body. I know some people get increasingly emotional when they're drunk, but my guess is he's a pretty emotional guy with some underlying issues/insecurities that he legitimately struggles with. Doesn't excuse his countless incidents of bad behavior, but it does humanize him a bit.

I think if it was his first time with this kind of thing it would humanize him, but at this point he should know better and make better decisions.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Khabib officially pulled out, so this is now off.

Khabib Nurmagomedov releases statement on UFC 249 status: ‘I’m definitely upset more than you to cancel the fight’

While this match is clearly cursed, I can't really blame the dude for not being willing to do this. Dana White needs to stop being a f***ing asshat and just accept that his events will not go off as planned for a while. Stop trying to force it to happen, nothing good will come of it if a fighter or fighters end up getting sick.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tony saying Khabib is scared like the world isn’t locked down and he didn’t already fly to Abu Dhabi *eyeroll*

He’s either weird or cringey, no in-between with Tony

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Tony saying Khabib is scared like the world isn’t locked down and he didn’t already fly to Abu Dhabi *eyeroll*

Tony is quickly challenging Joanna for the least likeable fighter in MMA

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Fighters saying another fighter is scared to fight them is white noise at this point. Everybody says shit like that and it's almost never true.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fighters saying another fighter is scared to fight them is white noise at this point. Everybody says shit like that and it's almost never true.

it’s wild stuff

like yes the undefeated cage fighter that grew up in Dagestan is terrified of the guy beating up dummies with wing chun. Great point tony. Has nothing to do with the pandemic :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
it’s wild stuff

like yes the undefeated cage fighter that grew up in Dagestan is terrified of the guy beating up dummies with wing chun. Great point tony. Has nothing to do with the pandemic :laugh:
And Khabib said Conor was scared. Then Conor said Khabib was scared. Then Ali said Conor is scared. Then they fought each other.

Then Conor said Khabib is scared of a rematch.

They all do it whenever they can. It means nothing. It's just a way to get your name into a headline. It is kind of eye-rolling when people say it about a guy like Khabib or Usman saying it about Masvidal recently, but I'm not going to hold it against anyone because they all do it. Just like they all get locked into a cage with a trained killer who's looking to put them unconscious.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
At the end of the day that’s what it comes down to- each and every single one of them voluntarily get locked in a cage with somebody who is highly skilled and has bad intentions. Idk why they even bother with that stuff

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
At the end of the day that’s what it comes down to- each and every single one of them voluntarily get locked in a cage with somebody who is highly skilled and has bad intentions. Idk why they even bother with that stuff

Because, unfortunately, that stuff sells to the idiot masses.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They shouldn’t even be putting fighters in this position to begin with. Should be cancelled. The fighters don’t even know the venue yet or if there will even be a card

Reactions: Zeppo

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They shouldn’t even be putting fighters in this position to begin with. Should be cancelled. The fighters don’t even know the venue yet or if there will even be a card

Whether or not they should be having a card is one thing, but this is something completely different. The UFC and Dana White have been very clear that if any fighter does not want to fight then they don't have to and they will cancel their fights.

The only fighters who are even involved in any of this talk are fighters who have made the choice to be involved in it. I'm of the mind that the majority of the fighters who are getting involved don't even want to fight, they are just bored and using it as an opportunity to get their name out there while things are in a downtime.

As for UFC249 in general, the card probably won't go ahead but this tactic that they have taken about trying to make it work has actually worked out pretty well for them regardless of if the card goes ahead. It is keeping them and the fighters in the news pretty much every day at a time when most other sports are a complete zero. They are essentially using this period as free promotion for them and their fighters.

Reactions: pistolpete11

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
That tweet McGregor put out yesterday about Khabib/Tony had me rolling. Pretty unlikable guy these days but he's always been f***ing hilarious.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Whether or not they should be having a card is one thing, but this is something completely different. The UFC and Dana White have been very clear that if any fighter does not want to fight then they don't have to and they will cancel their fights.

The only fighters who are even involved in any of this talk are fighters who have made the choice to be involved in it. I'm of the mind that the majority of the fighters who are getting involved don't even want to fight, they are just bored and using it as an opportunity to get their name out there while things are in a downtime.

As for UFC249 in general, the card probably won't go ahead but this tactic that they have taken about trying to make it work has actually worked out pretty well for them regardless of if the card goes ahead. It is keeping them and the fighters in the news pretty much every day at a time when most other sports are a complete zero. They are essentially using this period as free promotion for them and their fighters.

It’s a very good point about the publicity, that’s something I did not think of

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Diaz vs. Daley just popped up on my twitter feed with someone asking if it's the best one round fight ever and I think its gotta be up there for sure.

Diaz put on some really good ones. Diaz/Daley and Diaz/Gomi are two fights I can always go back to no matter how many times I've watched them. Diaz/Lawler was pretty fun too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasper

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kongo/Barry is still probably the one for me (1 round fight) but there are a bunch of good options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->