MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm not sure why people like this...

Masvidal should be fighting Edwards... in fact, if I were Edwards, I'd refuse to fight anyone else... unless it was against Usman for the belt, or a big payday against McGregor

It's not that people "like" it, they just understand it because there isn't much else that makes sense for Masvidal.

As for Leon Edwards, he's not a big enough name to do any of the stuff you're saying and it's a really, really bad suggestion.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's not that people "like" it, they just understand it because there isn't much else that makes sense for Masvidal.

As for Leon Edwards, he's not a big enough name to do any of the stuff you're saying and it's a really, really bad suggestion.

I disagree...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
All the more reason not to take another fight...

Sit out until they do care

that’s my point, they will never care. He doesn’t move the needle. He’s talented but people don’t know who he is and he’s not an exciting fighter. If he wanted to pull a Corey Anderson it wouldn’t shock me if they’d allow it

So if he wants to take that approach he’s probably going to be waiting until he’s a skeleton

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
that’s my point, they will never care. He doesn’t move the needle. He’s talented but people don’t know who he is and he’s not an exciting fighter. If he wanted to pull a Corey Anderson it wouldn’t shock me if they’d allow it

So if he wants to take that approach he’s probably going to be waiting until he’s a skeleton

The guy hasn't lost since 2015, if they don't respect him enough to put him in there with the guy who sucker-punched him, then he should ask for his release from the organization...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Edwards just needs to stay active and he'll get his shot. Beat Thompson or Chiesa and then there's a decent chance he'll have the next title shot.

He's on a nice streak but he also hasn't beaten any of the top guys at 170lbs. Go win a fight.

Reactions: I am not exposed

member 51464

Random alt-history question for you all. If Jones was never out and DC never got he LHW strap and still decided to go to HW (say he just recognized beating Jones simply wasn't in the cards), would DC still have gotten the immediate shot at Stipe, or would he have had to win one at HW first? If the latter, who?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Random alt-history question for you all. If Jones was never out and DC never got he LHW strap and still decided to go to HW (say he just recognized beating Jones simply wasn't in the cards), would DC still have gotten the immediate shot at Stipe, or would he have had to win one at HW first? If the latter, who?

Probably would have to win one. Not sure who it would have been - depends when you are suggesting he made the move.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Would have had to win at least one, for sure.

I can't think of any non-champs that moved up a weight class and got an immediate title shot. The UFC has done some funky shit, though, so I might be forgetting something or it was way back in the extreme wild west days.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Edwards just needs to stay active and he'll get his shot. Beat Thompson or Chiesa and then there's a decent chance he'll have the next title shot.

He's on a nice streak but he also hasn't beaten any of the top guys at 170lbs. Go win a fight.

I'm not saying he deserves a title shot... I'm saying the UFC should match him up against Masvidal

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
UFC doesn’t want him to sit out. Therein lies the difference between the two.

in a perfect world you’d be absolutely correct that it’s the fight to make

The UFC holds the cards...

If they wanted Masvidal to fight Edwards, it would happen

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Would have had to win at least one, for sure.

I can't think of any non-champs that moved up a weight class and got an immediate title shot. The UFC has done some funky shit, though, so I might be forgetting something or it was way back in the extreme wild west days.

Guys who have never been champ or guys who currently weren't champ? Feels like it happens all the time.. Belfort, Sonnen, Couture, etc just off the top of my head. Those guys all had some resume at the higher class but not enough to earn a title shot - so similar to Cormier.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Then Masvidal can sit out...

UFC doesn’t want him to sit out. Therein lies the difference between the two.

in a perfect world you’d be absolutely correct that it’s the fight to make
Yeah, man, you need to get over using words like 'should' and 'deserve' and realize the money that is involved with casual fans that only want to see Conor, Nate, Masvidal, etc. Those fans don't give a shit about Leon Edwards.

We all think it and we probably all say it from time to time, but we also understand how the UFC operates. You can lead the charge to boycott it by not watching if you want, but even the vast majority of die hards are going to watch Masvidal any time he fights anybody. Same with Nate. So hate it all you want, but we're all going to be watching it which is all the UFC cares about.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah, man, you need to get over using words like 'should' and 'deserve' and realize the money that is involved with casual fans that only want to see Conor, Nate, Masvidal, etc. Those fans don't give a shit about Leon Edwards.

We all think it and we probably all say it from time to time, but we also understand how the UFC operates. You can lead the charge to boycott it by not watching if you want, but even the vast majority of die hards are going to watch Masvidal any time he fights anybody. Same with Nate. So hate it all you want, but we're all going to be watching it which is all the UFC cares about.

Which is why if I were Edwards I'd go fight for another organization...

And you're right, I shouldn't have said Edwards "should" ask for his release, I meant that it's what I would do in his situation...

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Guys who have never been champ or guys who currently weren't champ? Feels like it happens all the time.. Belfort, Sonnen, Couture, etc just off the top of my head. Those guys all had some resume at the higher class but not enough to earn a title shot - so similar to Cormier.
I meant that were currently champ, but...

Vitor is kind of the wild west days I was talking about. I mean, he not only jumped around weight classes, but jumped around promotions. That shit doesn't really fly anymore.

Couture, still kind of the wild west days and he was the former HW champ (and former LHW champ) when he got another HW title shot.

Chael is a good example.

I was thinking more modern day UFC. Conor was FW champ when he went up to LW. Cejudo was FLW champ. Max was FW champ. Nunes was BW champ.

Joanna would be another example, though. Little bit different going to a new division, but technically...

I guess GSP would be another, but he won the WW title in his last fight, so...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Which is why if I were Edwards I'd go fight for another organization...

And you're right, I shouldn't have said Edwards "should" ask for his release, I meant that it's what I would do in his situation...
I wouldn't. I think he can be champ and I think you probably make more money as UFC champ than anywhere else. Plus the perk of being able to say you are/were the best in the world.

As m9 said, just stay active and keep winning. Eventually he'll become undeniable and he'll get his title shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I meant that were currently champ, but...

Vitor is kind of the wild west days I was talking about. I mean, he not only jumped around weight classes, but jumped around promotions. That shit doesn't really fly anymore.

Couture, still kind of the wild west days and he was the former HW champ (and former LHW champ) when he got another HW title shot.

Chael is a good example.

I was thinking more modern day UFC. Conor was FW champ when he went up to LW. Cejudo was FLW champ. Max was FW champ. Nunes was BW champ.

Joanna would be another example, though. Little bit different going to a new division, but technically...

I guess GSP would be another, but he won the WW title in his last fight, so...

The Belfort fight I meant was when he fought Jones, so not that far back. But yeah, Sonnen/Jones is the only other one that jumped out.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Belfort fight I meant was when he fought Jones, so not that far back. But yeah, Sonnen/Jones is the only other one that jumped out.
Fair enough.

Was that part of the mess where Jones refused to fight Chael and the UFC ended up cancelling the event all together? Maybe there were a few other guys injured or something, too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Fair enough.

Was that part of the mess where Jones refused to fight Chael and the UFC ended up cancelling the event all together? Maybe there were a few other guys injured or something, too.

Yeah.. actually both Vitor & Sonnen fights were tied to that. Henderson was hurt and Jones wouldn't fight Sonnen on 8 days notice so they cancelled the card. Then they did the Jones/Belfort fight a few weeks later. Sonnen/Jones eventually fought after TUF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad