MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Charles Oliveira out of UFC fight with Beneil Dariush

Probably smart to get out of there for Oliveira
"Personal reasons" is always really sketchy. Could actually be personal reasons. Could be flagged for PED's. In this world, could be contracted COVID. Could be found a better matchup.

To the latter point, I wonder if it could be Michael Chandler. I know he's not signed, but I don't think he would sign until he had an opponent. I was on board for Poirier-Chandler, but it sounds like Poirier-Tony might happen. So the next top guys are Conor (ain't happenin'), Hooker, and Oliveira. Oliveira-Chandler would be a great Fight Night main event and would give us a good idea of where Chandler fits into the UFC LW elites. I think it's a relatively big, winnable fight for Chandler. Could also be Oliveira-Hooker. I'd love to see that one.

Regardless, I don't care. This was a stupid fight from the beginning. #6 on a 7-fight win streak after finishing a top 10 guy should not be fighting #11.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Apparently the Poirier vs Ferguson fight is off...

Poirier couldn't come to terms with the UFC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Raymond Daniels just hit a clean spinning back kick to a guys nads and this guy has had a severe reaction lol

RIP big fella, god damn

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
OMG HE RESUMED AFTER THE FULL 5 MIN AND GOT HIT WITH A SPIN KICK TO THE NADS BY DANIELS AGAIN

HE IS ON THE GROUND LITERALLY CRYING.

I do not blame him. The lack of a crowd for this is yeeeesh.....double RIP big fella

Reactions: m9

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
That was amazing. Brutal, but amazing.

Never seen a fighter cry like that from a groin strike but damn was it captivating. Must've hurt like a motherf***er

Wonder if there was a testicle rupture.

Reactions: CDJ

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
So Helwani said on his podcast with DC not only did Ferguson publicly support Dustin in his push for more money but he's also told the UFC not to book him against anyone else other than Dustin. I doubt that holds up as I'm sure Tony wants his shot at the title but interesting he's even putting up resistance.

Also, another mind boggling Helwani reveal is that apparently there was going to be a stipulation where if Khabib had to drop out against Gaethje Dustin would automatically step up and get the fight and if Gaethje dropped out Tony would step up and fight Khabib which sounds completely bonkers and amazing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Santos/Glover is off as Santos tested for Covid.

Bad luck booking that fight, but it gives us a solid fight for when the UFC books it's all-cursed card. We're up to:

Ferguson v Khabib
Santos v Glover
Ankalaev v Cutelaba

Plus probably some more I can't think of.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I need Thiago back in the octagon, miss that crazy motherf***er. They may headline a card with that when they rebook it, there are a few fight night cards without headliners right now

best dude fight on that card is now Condit-McGee. Yiiiiikes

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Contender series card has been lackluster up until this Naimov-Anglin fight. Dana may give them both contracts

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Bad news is it's looking like we won't get Poirier vs. Ferguson.

Good news:

One name that has been discussed is free agent Michael Chandler, the former Bellator lightweight champion who fought out his contract in early August. The UFC is in advanced talks with Chandler, per sources, and is the front-runner to sign him, though a deal isn't finalized just yet.

It's unclear if Ferguson is interested in that fight. White said Tuesday night that Ferguson hasn't agreed to a new fight yet. According to sources, Ferguson's first choice is Poirier, but we know how these things go. What if the UFC sweetens the pot for Ferguson to entice him to fight Chandler next month?

At this point, based on where things stand, I think Chandler ultimately signs with the UFC. He has talked to other promotions -- such as PFL -- but he's always wanted to fight for the leading MMA promotion to prove he's the best lightweight in the world. I get it.

Chandler likely going to the UFC is great even if Ferguson doesn't take this fight. They could do a Chandler vs. Oliveira fight.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would be surprised if Chandler took that fight next month considering he just fought. Though, guess he didn't take much damage.

I think Ferguson/Poirier gets done.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Ferguson vs Chandler would be an awesome fight too though. So would Ferguson vs Hooker. That's not the best division to be playing hardball in although as usual we have no idea what Poirier is even asking for. I just hope Dustin remembers that Masvidal's approach only worked out so well because Burns had to drop out on late notice.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Not sure where I heard this, perhaps it was a question posed to Sonnen recently, but...

How about Romero moving up to 205 and taking on Rumble?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That would be fun

Also Chandler vs Ferguson would be quite a baptism by fire for Chandler. I love the fight, hopefully we get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->