MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I was absolutely thrilled when I heard they were doing DC/Miocic 3. I feel like it needed to happen. Really hope DC can pull it off. Miocic seems like a good guy but something about him just irks me a bit. He probably doesn't mean it disrespectfully but I hate how when he talks about the DC fights he just says he got caught and then he just couldn't get going. DC has looked like the superior fighter for the vast majority of their time in the cage. Woodley did the same thing with Usman, saying he just couldn't get going/pull the trigger. No, you got thoroughly dominated.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I was absolutely thrilled when I heard they were doing DC/Miocic 3. I feel like it needed to happen. Really hope DC can pull it off. Miocic seems like a good guy but something about him just irks me a bit. He probably doesn't mean it disrespectfully but I hate how when he talks about the DC fights he just says he got caught and then he just couldn't get going. DC has looked like the superior fighter for the vast majority of their time in the cage. Woodley did the same thing with Usman, saying he just couldn't get going/pull the trigger. No, you got thoroughly dominated.
I agree DC's looked like the better fighter, but I wouldn't say Stipe has been dominated. You could argue he was winning round 1 of the first before he was KOed and rounds 2, 3 (2 of the 3 judges did actually give him this round) and 4 of the second fight.

For what it's worth, I thought it was 3-0 DC in the second fight. After rewatching it, I don't know whether I would change that, but rounds 2 and 3 were a lot closer than I thought when watching it live.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I agree DC's looked like the better fighter, but I wouldn't say Stipe has been dominated. You could argue he was winning round 1 of the first before he was KOed and rounds 2, 3 (2 of the 3 judges did actually give him this round) and 4 of the second fight.

For what it's worth, I thought it was 3-0 DC in the second fight. After rewatching it, I don't know whether I would change that, but rounds 2 and 3 were a lot closer than I thought when watching it live.

Pretty sure the judges gave the 3rd round to Stipe. At least two of them did as I recall.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
On the topic of Stipe vs DC, and with the recent relevance of eye pokes, Stipe is out for the rest of the year because he needs to recover from an eye injury he sustained in the second fight. So not only did DC's eye poke grant him a KO the first time, but this time his multiple eye pokes which went unpunished have given Stipe long-term damage.

Yes, perhaps if it does happen DC can manage to get through the fight without cheating.

member 51464

On the topic of Stipe vs DC, and with the recent relevance of eye pokes, Stipe is out for the rest of the year because he needs to recover from an eye injury he sustained in the second fight. So not only did DC's eye poke grant him a KO the first time, but this time his multiple eye pokes which went unpunished have given Stipe long-term damage.

Yes, perhaps if it does happen DC can manage to get through the fight without cheating.
I am quite certain it was DC's fist on a break from a clinch that granted him the KO the first time, lol.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Recent article where Woodley says he would've knocked out the version of himself that fought Usman. That's next level mental gymnastics to cope with a loss right there. You get thoroughly dominated, about as bad as anyone ever for 25 minutes, and your takeaway is your opponent isn't that impressive cause he didn't finish you. Lol.

Reactions: LSCII

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Recent article where Woodley says he would've knocked out the version of himself that fought Usman. That's next level mental gymnastics to cope with a loss right there. You get thoroughly dominated, about as bad as anyone ever for 25 minutes, and your takeaway is your opponent isn't that impressive cause he didn't finish you. Lol.

I haven't read the article, but let me guess, does he talk about "not being able to pull the trigger" at some point in the article?

member 51464

Woodley's loss to Usman was more embarrassing than Till's loss to Woodley, and that is saying a lot. haha

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Imagine being accused by Jon Jones of being a drug addict?

Jon Jones threatens to involve police after ex-coach Frank Lester unloads on Jones, Mike Winkeljohn

Crazy stuff there. Not a good look for Jones or Wink. Great story though...

This is a rare exchange on social media where Jones comes across as the more mature person.

Plus it's pretty funny that someone got fired from a Jon Jones team for drug issues. What was the issue - he used up all the drugs and there were none left for Jones?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This is a rare exchange on social media where Jones comes across as the more mature person.

Plus it's pretty funny that someone got fired from a Jon Jones team for drug issues. What was the issue - he used up all the drugs and there were none left for Jones?

HAHAHA! Yeah, crazy story all around. Love that the dude said it's on at site. lol

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
This could've simply been a question posed and he answered it, so I don't wanna crucify the guy, but Adesanya says he plans on facing Jones early 2021. I'm so sick of fighters nowadays looking to line up superfights before they're even champions yet.

You just barely beat a blown up failed WW who got soundly beaten by Weidman (who's 1-4 in his last 5). Let's pump the brakes a bit on fighting the GOAT.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This could've simply been a question posed and he answered it, so I don't wanna crucify the guy, but Adesanya says he plans on facing Jones early 2021. I'm so sick of fighters nowadays looking to line up superfights before they're even champions yet.

You just barely beat a blown up failed WW who got soundly beaten by Weidman (who's 1-4 in his last 5). Let's pump the brakes a bit on fighting the GOAT.

Did he say 2020 or 2021? If 2021.. that's kind of a reasonable path considering how quickly he's moved up the ranks. If he said 2020 I totally agree with you.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I really can't see him bothering Jones too much tbh.

Costa and Romero are far more intriguing middleweights to fight Jones imo.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He said 2021. He is also now interested in fighting Stipe.

So what's the issue? I assume his plan would be to win the title, defend 3 times next year, and then fight Jones in 2021? I hate the champs jumping up as much as anyone but I actually think he's presented a realistic timeline.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
So what's the issue? I assume his plan would be to win the title, defend 3 times next year, and then fight Jones in 2021? I hate the champs jumping up as much as anyone but I actually think he's presented a realistic timeline.

Was this supposed to be directed at BGDDYKWL?

I was just confirming it is 2021. Personally, I don't think he would bother Jones. But if he wants to fight him in 2021, so be it. Let's see if he can beat Whittaker first though!

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I'm just tired of people clamoring about superfights LONG before they have any business doing so. I think what bothers me the most is the assumption that they're already worthy. Just off the top of my head Woodley felt he was the greatest WW of all-time, got DOMINATED by Usman, Andrade was calling out Shevchenko when she got lucky as hell against Rose and before defending her belt once. TJ was talking about all this stuff, all while he knew he was cheating, and got smoked. Now we gotta listen to all of Cejudo's nonsense. We have interim champs not fighting champs, and we now have the "BMF belt" for two guys arguably not even in the top 5 in their own division (certainly not collectively).

Superfights used to be reserved for a GSP/Silva scenario where both guys have defended numerous times and simply ran out of challengers. This new approach is just annoying.

Adesanya's timeline is reasonable but how are you talking about beating Jones when a pudgy 170-pounder who never sniffed a belt busted you up?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm just tired of people clamoring about superfights LONG before they have any business doing so. I think what bothers me the most is the assumption that they're already worthy. Just off the top of my head Woodley felt he was the greatest WW of all-time, got DOMINATED by Usman, Andrade was calling out Shevchenko when she got lucky as hell against Rose and before defending her belt once. TJ was talking about all this stuff, all while he knew he was cheating, and got smoked. Now we gotta listen to all of Cejudo's nonsense. We have interim champs not fighting champs, and we now have the "BMF belt" for two guys arguably not even in the top 5 in their own division (certainly not collectively).

Superfights used to be reserved for a GSP/Silva scenario where both guys have defended numerous times and simply ran out of challengers. This new approach is just annoying.

Adesanya's timeline is reasonable but how are you talking about beating Jones when a pudgy 170-pounder who never sniffed a belt busted you up?

Nobody hates guys jumping around divisions more than me, I just think it's reasonable for a guy to have a long-term plan for his career. I find this much different than say what someone like TJ Dillashaw did where he was basically just trying to collect belts and wanted to go to 125lbs as soon as possible, or what Conor did when he went to 155lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia