MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm just tired of people clamoring about superfights LONG before they have any business doing so. I think what bothers me the most is the assumption that they're already worthy. Just off the top of my head Woodley felt he was the greatest WW of all-time, got DOMINATED by Usman, Andrade was calling out Shevchenko when she got lucky as hell against Rose and before defending her belt once. TJ was talking about all this stuff, all while he knew he was cheating, and got smoked. Now we gotta listen to all of Cejudo's nonsense. We have interim champs not fighting champs, and we now have the "BMF belt" for two guys arguably not even in the top 5 in their own division (certainly not collectively).

Superfights used to be reserved for a GSP/Silva scenario where both guys have defended numerous times and simply ran out of challengers. This new approach is just annoying.

Adesanya's timeline is reasonable but how are you talking about beating Jones when a pudgy 170-pounder who never sniffed a belt busted you up?

Just like people realizing that McGregor was smart to promote himself through outrageous statements, he also showed that the titles hold very little value when it comes to being paid. He realized quickly that it wasn't about the title, but the spectacle. And that draws eyeballs of casual fans, which gets the fighters paid. Since he moved up to be a champ champ without ever defending, everyone else caught on and are now mimicking his act and following his path to making money. Superfights are far more interesting to the casual fan because they don't know most of the fighters or what their skill sets are.

For example. Do you think Khabib fighting Ferguson would ever outdraw and outsell on PPV a Khabib vs GSP fight? Not a chance. Which is why we keep hearing Khabib throw out GSP's name as a fight he wants.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I get that. I can't stand it, but I get it. In Khabib's case it doesn't bother me as much because he is the champ, has defended his belt, and is arguably the most dominant fighter ever.

All of this legacy/superfight talk is ruining the sport. I feel like the get off my lawn guy more and more with each passing day, but this sport was so much better 5-10 years ago. And that's a shame.

The Conor stuff only works for a select few, the rest just come off as cheap imitations, and in their cases I don't think the nonsense generally pays off.

All that said, I am more interested in the fight now cause I wanna see Adesanya get his ass whooped, so it certainly works on that level at least.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wish Jones would direct some of this time and energy towards HWs rather than more MWs.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
For example. Do you think Khabib fighting Ferguson would ever outdraw and outsell on PPV a Khabib vs GSP fight? Not a chance. Which is why we keep hearing Khabib throw out GSP's name as a fight he wants.

Well in the case of Khabib/GSP that’s a legit super fight that should happen. It does however sound like the UFC is planning to do the “right” thing in this situation and give the rightful challenger in El Cucuy the fight first.

Reactions: LSCII

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sonnen mentioned on his podcast today that GSP has never looked skinnier, so I looked it up

Yep, GSP is lookin' lean. He actually looks like someone who has come off PEDs

I definitely think he's setting things up to take on Khabib for the 155 belt

k18ckzl0pzp31.jpg

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Is Fedor vs Rampage the saddest match up since Kimbo vs Shamrock or Tito vs Liddell? I can't decide since both sucked so badly, and this one is going to be right up there with them. Virtually no shot to be a compelling must watch event. More of a sad look at 2 fighters with zero left in the tank. Over under for how many times both guys gas out before the final bell?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Is Fedor vs Rampage the saddest match up since Kimbo vs Shamrock or Tito vs Liddell? I can't decide since both sucked so badly, and this one is going to be right up there with them. Virtually no shot to be a compelling must watch event. More of a sad look at 2 fighters with zero left in the tank. Over under for how many times both guys gas out before the final bell?
I'm not a fan of these type of fights at all, but at least with Fedor and Rampage they have been somewhat active with somewhat recent wins (granted it's not against the best competition, but still).

Chuck, though, was really sad. He was damn near 50 years old, hadn't fought in 8 years, didn't have a win in 11 years, and was KO'ed in his last 3 fights.

Reactions: Avs_19

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Chuck's downfall is really sad. Guy went from having a granite chin to being knocked out by a strong breeze.

Really disappointed to hear Dana say that McGregor vs. Khabib 'makes sense' and it's what McGregor wants. How in the **** does that fight make any sense? I know he's saying Ferguson is first in line but it's such garbage. I know it's a bit idealistic to think the UFC would actually make Conor work his way up to the title but geez.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm not a fan of these type of fights at all, but at least with Fedor and Rampage they have been somewhat active with somewhat recent wins (granted it's not against the best competition, but still).

Chuck, though, was really sad. He was damn near 50 years old, hadn't fought in 8 years, didn't have a win in 11 years, and was KO'ed in his last 3 fights.

After seeing Rampage so fat and so winded just from trying to walk down Sonnen in their fight, I'd say he's closer to Chuck than an active fighter. :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I actually don't mind that fight. Both are still active fighters and I think it was the right fight to make if they're going to continue fighting. The fight will likely be sloppy but it wouldn't be the first time for HW MMA.

The Chuck and Shamrock situations were really sad because of their age, inactivity, and health concerns. You might have some of that with Fedor because of the damage he has taken but it's certainly an improvement over his last fight against an in his prime Bader. As for Rampage, he's going to show up out of shape once again but he really doesn't take a lot of damage as most of his losses come from his opponents controlling him on the ground.

Reactions: LSCII

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I feel like GSP constantly beats around the bush with retirement.
He's handpicking fights at this point. If he doesn't like the opponent, the timing, the money, the impact on his legacy, etc., he's going to pass. It's kind of lame, but I totally get it and if anyone has earned the right to do it, it's probably GSP.

If I had to bet, I'd bet we see GSP in the octagon at least one more time.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
If GSP fights Khabib he'll almost definitely be 39 by then. As much as I'd like to see it, I kind of hope he doesn't at this point. Time's got to be catching up with him a bit by now.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If GSP fights Khabib he'll almost definitely be 39 by then. As much as I'd like to see it, I kind of hope he doesn't at this point. Time's got to be catching up with him a bit by now.

GSP's a nightmare for Khabib. I think he wins even though he's older and it would be glorious for us mid 30's guys to watch. Khabib/GSP will sell out a stadium, but if GSP walks with another belt... GOAT undeniably.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
GSP's a nightmare for Khabib. I think he wins even though he's older and it would be glorious for us mid 30's guys to watch. Khabib/GSP will sell out a stadium, but if GSP walks with another belt... GOAT undeniably.
I tend to agree GSP would win, but there's enough of a question in my mind to make it a fascinating fight. GSP in his prime, without any weight issues, I think beats Khabib no question. But being ~38 and never having seen him at 155lbs. makes it very, very interesting.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I tend to agree GSP would win, but there's enough of a question in my mind to make it a fascinating fight. GSP in his prime, without any weight issues, I think beats Khabib no question. But being ~38 and never having seen him at 155lbs. makes it very, very interesting.
That's where I'm at too. And if Khabib wins, it's legendary.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
^ By most accounts, Khabib is the bigger man and walks around a bit heavier than GSP.

In other news, Greg Hardy is replacing JDS against Volkov in the upcoming headliner.

Good to know that being run out of a league for domestic violence will get you spoonfed opportunities in the UFC afforded to very few others. 1 DQ, 1 No Contest and a win over an absolute nobody who decided to quit the second the fight began...not that ESPN has any integrity to begin with, but it's almost insulting at this point. They love this guy and obviously want him high up on the ESPN cards, and the UFC has obliged to this point. Since HW is a terrible division he'll probably win by KO and become the next big thing, but god I hope this hype train comes to an end very soon.

Edit: Zabit vs Kattar will now be the main event, but will stay a 3 rounder. Good call making that switch.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
^ By most accounts, Khabib is the bigger man and walks around a bit heavier than GSP.

In other news, Greg Hardy is replacing JDS against Volkov in the upcoming headliner.

Good to know that being run out of a league for domestic violence will get you spoonfed opportunities in the UFC afforded to very few others. 1 DQ, 1 No Contest and a win over an absolute nobody who decided to quit the second the fight began...not that ESPN has any integrity to begin with, but it's almost insulting at this point. They love this guy and obviously want him high up on the ESPN cards, and the UFC has obliged to this point. Since HW is a terrible division he'll probably win by KO and become the next big thing, but god I hope this hype train comes to an end very soon.

Edit: Zabit vs Kattar will now be the main event, but will stay a 3 rounder. Good call making that switch.
They've lined up a bunch of cans for him in spots he hasn't deserved up to this point, but Volkov is no joke. He beat Werdum and was beating Lewis up until the last 10 seconds of the fight. This is a HUGE jump up in competition for Hardy, in Russia, on short notice. I hate him as much as the next guy for so many reasons, but you've got to give credit where credit is due. I hope he gets knocked the f*** out, but he deserves credit for taking the fight.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
They've lined up a bunch of cans for him in spots he hasn't deserved up to this point, but Volkov is no joke. He beat Werdum and was beating Lewis up until the last 10 seconds of the fight. This is a HUGE jump up in competition for Hardy, in Russia, on short notice. I hate him as much as the next guy for so many reasons, but you've got to give credit where credit is due. I hope he gets knocked the **** out, but he deserves credit for taking the fight.

For sure, Volkov is a huge step up in competion. I meant that "probably" more facetiously ,I don't think Hardy is better by any means. But he might swing for the fences outta the gate and clip the chin. Hopefully Volkov can stay out of trouble early and he should be better everywhere. Heavyweights though.

It's almost a no-lose for Hardy with massively rewarding upside. Most people want to see him lose anyway at this point, and he will receive some praise regardless for accepting the fight as you said. No issue with him making the most out of an opportunity but few fighters in a similar position would turn that down, not to mention ever get it. It would just be nice to see things happen based more on merit is all, especially given the situation with Hardy but again can't fault him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad