MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Bader was absolutely dominating Kongo and Kongo used the eyepoke as a way out of the fight. I'd like to see Minakov and Bader next, that would be interesting.

Reactions: m9

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Bader was absolutely dominating Kongo and Kongo used the eyepoke as a way out of the fight. I'd like to see Minakov and Bader next, that would be interesting.

Kharitonov might be next in line.

Anyway, they'll probably make Bader-Kongo 2.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
UFC 244 is coming together nicely. Confirmed fights so far:

Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Darren Till
Corey Anderson vs. Johnny Walker
Derrick Lewis vs. Blagoy Ivanov
Stephen Thompson vs. Vicente Luque

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
UFC 244 is coming together nicely. Confirmed fights so far:

Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Darren Till
Corey Anderson vs. Johnny Walker
Derrick Lewis vs. Blagoy Ivanov
Stephen Thompson vs. Vicente Luque
If all of these fights make it to fight night, this PPV is what? Probably top 3 PPV of 2019 (on paper)? UFC 241 was top heavy but those top 3 fights were f***ing awesome from the minute they were announced. UFC 243 is pretty stacked as well. Am I forgetting any other good ones?

Big steps up in competition for Luque and Walker and a huge test for Till.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If all of these fights make it to fight night, this PPV is what? Probably top 3 PPV of 2019 (on paper)? UFC 241 was top heavy but those top 3 fights were ****ing awesome from the minute they were announced. UFC 243 is pretty stacked as well. Am I forgetting any other good ones?

Big steps up in competition for Luque and Walker and a huge test for Till.

There have been a few good ones this year and this one should be somewhere near the top. 241 is probably my favourite so far just because of those top three fights. 238 and 239 were strong on paper and delivered (except the Jones/Santos main event). 235 was also stacked going in.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
There have been a few good ones this year and this one should be somewhere near the top. 241 is probably my favourite so far just because of those top three fights. 238 and 239 were strong on paper and delivered (except the Jones/Santos main event). 235 was also stacked going in.
238 was good, but the only fight I was really looking forward to was Tony-Cowboy, although, I was really, really, really looking forward to that one. I'd take UFC 244 over it, though.

235 was probably a step below 244 for me, too. It probably over delivered compared to my expectations, but Lawler-Askren was the biggest draw for me and that was mainly because of the unknown with Askren.

239 is probably on par with this one. I'm more excited for Nate-Masvidal than anything on 239, but they are/were both really deep, good cards.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
235 was my favorite going in with UFC 241 being a close second. Coming out though, hard to top UFC241.

244 should be great though - could end up as card of the year because of the styles of the guys fighting.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Jacare vs. Jan at LHW to main event the Fight Night in Brazil in November. LHW is starting to get a little bit more interesting with these big names moving up from MW. Even if they don't win, it puts a little bit more behind guys like Reyes or Jan if they can beat them.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Jacare vs. Jan at LHW to main event the Fight Night in Brazil in November. LHW is starting to get a little bit more interesting with these big names moving up from MW. Even if they don't win, it puts a little bit more behind guys like Reyes or Jan if they can beat them.

Kind of wonder what that means for Jon Jones next as Jan was one of the possibilities. Wonder if he's just taking a break and will let 205 sort itself out a bit.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Kind of wonder what that means for Jon Jones next as Jan was one of the possibilities. Wonder if he's just taking a break and will let 205 sort itself out a bit.
Yeah, I don't know. Apparently he tweeted a few days ago that there was a big fight announcement coming soon. Could have just been BS to keep his name in the news, but if he does have a fight lined up, I can't imagine who it would be against at LHW now.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Probably too late for Jacare now but still intriguing, I guess.

That was my first thought as well. It seemed like it was lining up for Jan to get the next shot at Jones. Jones says there's news about his next fight coming soon so I assume that means they have an opponent in mind.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Probably too late for Jacare now but still intriguing, I guess.
Yeah, I mean, Jacare is not what he used to be, but he's still a tough fight. Jan should need another win or 2 to really get a shot at Jones IMO (he's only on a 1 fight win streak after all, granted his loss was to Santos), so getting another one against a relatively big name in a main event goes a long way IMO...even if it is a long in the tooth MW.

That was my first thought as well. It seemed like it was lining up for Jan to get the next shot at Jones. Jones says there's news about his next fight coming soon so I assume that means they have an opponent in mind.
If it's not just complete BS, it's got to be Stipe, right? I can't imagine DC comes back for anything other than the Stipe trilogy. Everyone else either has a fight booked, is hurt, or already had their shot at Jones.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I can't believe we don't have an announcement for Usman and Covington.

I know the payouts are pretty hush but I hope the UFC can give in a little I doubt these guys are getting crazy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If it's not just complete BS, it's got to be Stipe, right? I can't imagine DC comes back for anything other than the Stipe trilogy. Everyone else either has a fight booked, is hurt, or already had their shot at Jones.

I'm not sure because everything Jones has said publicly would go against that but maybe they paid up to get him to go to HW. Him finally going to HW would be more intriguing than fighting another beefed up MW. There hasn't been any news or speculation since he tweeted that though.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I doubt it's Stipe but I will say this. The one thing that leads me to believe it's a possibility is he realistically would only weigh 5-10 pounds more than Jones, but most importantly, I think seeing DC really have his way with Miocic for the majority of the fight perhaps led Jones to believe he could do the same.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I just signed up for the Fight Pass trial. It's pretty cool as you have access to any previous fight in history for just about every MMA league that existed. The menu is shit for finding stuff. I want to go back and watch some of the careers of the older guys, GSP,ect. Just watched all of Faber and Connor.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm not sure because everything Jones has said publicly would go against that but maybe they paid up to get him to go to HW. Him finally going to HW would be more intriguing than fighting another beefed up MW. There hasn't been any news or speculation since he tweeted that though.
Jones has said so many things in the media about moving to HW or not, I don't put any stock into what he says. Although, him saying there is a big fight announcement coming could also be BS.

I doubt it's Stipe but I will say this. The one thing that leads me to believe it's a possibility is he realistically would only weigh 5-10 pounds more than Jones, but most importantly, I think seeing DC really have his way with Miocic for the majority of the fight perhaps led Jones to believe he could do the same.
As great as I think Stipe is, I think Jones would look at that as a winnable fight for him.

Stipe hits hard, but he doesn't have that touch of death like Francis or Lewis.
He's a good wrestler, but he's not a 265lb monster like Blaydes.
He's big, but he's not 6'7" like Volkov.

Stipe's great because he can handle himself against anybody, but he doesn't have that one thing that would really scare a guy like Jones IMO. Maybe he'd be a little concerned about not having the reach advantage anymore and the power that comes along with that reach from Stipe? But his best chance would be against a guy like Stipe or JDS IMO.

...oh, and Stipe has the belt.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Couple of things from Dana yesterday:

-They're planning on doing the Stipe vs. DC trilogy next. Just waiting on Stipe to heal and then they'll figure out when and where.

-Cejudo's next fight will be at 125 vs. Benavidez unless he vacates.

-For the first time he didn't outright dismiss the Khabib vs. GSP idea. He said Ferguson is next but he'd be interested in talking to GSP if that doesn't come together for whatever reason.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Couple of things from Dana yesterday:

-They're planning on doing the Stipe vs. DC trilogy next. Just waiting on Stipe to heal and then they'll figure out when and where.

-Cejudo's next fight will be at 125 vs. Benavidez unless he vacates.

-For the first time he didn't outright dismiss the Khabib vs. GSP idea. He said Ferguson is next but he'd be interested in talking to GSP if that doesn't come together for whatever reason.
- Cool. Kind of funny the guy that won is the one that needs to recover lol. Now I really have no idea what's next for Jones.

- I'd vacate if I was Cejudo. There's more and better fights for him at 135lb. If he loses, then he can still go back down to 125lb and probably get an immediate title shot.

- It's understandable, but Dana must have no confidence that Khabib-Tony will happen :laugh: He's recently said that if Tony can't take the fight for some reason, Conor makes sense, too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
- Cool. Kind of funny the guy that won is the one that needs to recover lol. Now I really have no idea what's next for Jones.

- I'd vacate if I was Cejudo. There's more and better fights for him at 135lb. If he loses, then he can still go back down to 125lb and probably get an immediate title shot.

- It's understandable, but Dana must have no confidence that Khabib-Tony will happen :laugh: He's recently said that if Tony can't take the fight for some reason, Conor makes sense, too.

Cejudo might want to avenge that loss to Benevidez though.

Glad they are doing DC/Miocic 3.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'm glad they're doing the trilogy and it makes the most sense but yeah, Jones was once again one of the first people I thought of after hearing that. Maybe his next fight could be the winner of Weidman/Reyes? Not exactly "big" but the timeline could match up if Jones returns early next year.

As we always mention with this stuff, you have to be skeptical because of how often Dana will try to negotiate publicly but I just found the GSP part of it interesting because in the past he doesn't even let the reporter get the question out before he shuts it down. Mentioning Conor is expected and they could even use Gaethje to pressure Ferguson if they really wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad