MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For sure, Volkov is a huge step up in competion. I meant that "probably" more facetiously ,I don't think Hardy is better by any means. But he might swing for the fences outta the gate and clip the chin. Hopefully Volkov can stay out of trouble early and he should be better everywhere. Heavyweights though.

It's almost a no-lose for Hardy with massively rewarding upside. Most people want to see him lose anyway at this point, and he will receive some praise regardless for accepting the fight as you said. No issue with him making the most out of an opportunity but few fighters in a similar position would turn that down, not to mention ever get it. It would just be nice to see things happen based more on merit is all, especially given the situation with Hardy but again can't fault him.
I don't know that anybody in Hardy's position would take this fight. Again, he's going from fighting guys that have never been in the UFC to fighting a top 10 guy on short notice. It's a crazy step up in competition. It is a smart gamble for him as long as he doesn't completely embarrass himself, though. It also puts the inhaler talk to bed a little quicker.

Also, apparently Hardy called the UFC, not the other way around. He had a little advanced notice about JDS since he trains with him, but the UFC loves that shit.

Reactions: m9

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I don't know that anybody in Hardy's position would take this fight. Again, he's going from fighting guys that have never been in the UFC to fighting a top 10 guy on short notice. It's a crazy step up in competition. It is a smart gamble for him as long as he doesn't completely embarrass himself, though. It also puts the inhaler talk to bed a little quicker.

Also, apparently Hardy called the UFC, not the other way around. He had a little advanced notice about JDS since he trains with him, but the UFC loves that ****.

It's an opportunity to catapult his career is all I'm saying. At worst, he loses as many expect but gains respect for the step up in competition. I agree with many of your points but I just take umbrage with him getting these opportunities. If you take away his name value/controversial past, an equal heavyweight would 100% not have been gifted the same path as Hardy and sure as hell would not be granted a fight of this magnitude. I'm sure there are numerous, more deserving heavyweights willing to step in on short notice to face Volkov but unsurprsingly they're trying to strike while the iron is hot with Hardy.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's an opportunity to catapult his career is all I'm saying. At worst, he loses as many expect but gains respect for the step up in competition. I agree with many of your points but I just take umbrage with him getting these opportunities. If you take away his name value/controversial past, an equal heavyweight would 100% not have been gifted the same path as Hardy and sure as hell would not be granted a fight of this magnitude. I'm sure there are numerous, more deserving heavyweights willing to step in on short notice to face Volkov but unsurprsingly they're trying to strike while the iron is hot with Hardy.

At this point people are ripping the UFC regardless of how they handle Hardy so I'm not sure what else they can do. He was fed cans as he was a new fighter, people don't like that. He take a short notice fight against a top ten guy, people don't like that either.

I get people don't like him being on main cards, but the reality is he brings in more viewers & media buzz than most of the no-names on the prelims so he is right where he belongs on the main card.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
At this point people are ripping the UFC regardless of how they handle Hardy so I'm not sure what else they can do. He was fed cans as he was a new fighter, people don't like that. He take a short notice fight against a top ten guy, people don't like that either.

I get people don't like him being on main cards, but the reality is he brings in more viewers & media buzz than most of the no-names on the prelims so he is right where he belongs on the main card.

Disagree that people would "rip the UFC regardless". Who would have an issue with him being brought along like almost every other developing fighter?

If name value and attention are your only qualifiers for being on a main card instead of actual fighting ability, then yes absolutely. I understand the concept of getting more views. I'd prefer to see guys actually earn opportunities with huge upside, however. In every single aspect of the sport aside from popularity, Hardy is undeserving of repeated main card/co-main slots. An equal fighter minus his name probably would still be on the prelims, if even in the UFC at all given the DQ and NC.

And no fighter has had an easier road than Hardy to get to this point. 3 absolute cans to get to 1-1-1, even if you include DWCS you could argue there isn't a single UFC calibre fighter on his resume. Virtually nobody I can think of gets that treatmeant and it is very obviously by design to propel him up the ladder. They could have easily stepped up the calibre of opponent each time (as they do with just about everyone) but didn't want to lose out on a cash cow.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Disagree that people would "rip the UFC regardless". Who would have an issue with him being brought along like almost every other developing fighter?

If name value and attention are your only qualifiers for being on a main card instead of actual fighting ability, then yes absolutely. I understand the concept of getting more views. I'd prefer to see guys actually earn opportunities with huge upside, however. In every single aspect of the sport aside from popularity, Hardy is undeserving of repeated main card/co-main slots. An equal fighter minus his name probably would still be on the prelims, if even in the UFC at all given the DQ and NC.

And no fighter has had an easier road than Hardy to get to this point. 3 absolute cans to get to 1-1-1, even if you include DWCS you could argue there isn't a single UFC calibre fighter on his resume. Virtually nobody I can think of gets that treatmeant and it is very obviously by design to propel him up the ladder. They could have easily stepped up the calibre of opponent each time (as they do with just about everyone) but didn't want to lose out on a cash cow.
I agree he's been given an easier path, but getting a top 10 guy in his 4th professional isn't really doing him any favors.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Lots of people on this forum (and elsewhere) wanted to him to fight guys like Derrick Lewis pretty much immediately when he was in the UFC or after his first fight or two.

He's been given an easier path, but I do think it's a reasonable path for someone at his skill level. Most guys get a bunch of cans in their first few fights, his just happen to be in the UFC.

He's not skilled enough to be in the UFC, that's a fact. But they really had no choice because he was going to sign somewhere as he's a legit prospect with a big name in a weak division. Bellator is filled with these kind of prospects on their main cards right now and nobody blinks an eye. Then once he's in the UFC, you have to put him on the main card because that's where he belongs as the fighters that fans want to see need to be on the main card.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
McGregor rolling out his plan, Jan 18th likely either Cerrone/Gaethje. Then he wants winner of Diaz and Mazsvidal, then winner of Khabib and Ferguson.

And I for one, can't wait. This is the McGregor I want. That dude that's got a plan, activity and drive.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Planning more than one fight ahead in MMA is a bit of a waste of time, but will be glad to see him back in there if it happens. From there we'll see where it goes.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Planning more than one fight ahead in MMA is a bit of a waste of time, but will be glad to see him back in there if it happens. From there we'll see where it goes.
Truth. If he honestly wants to fight 3 times next year, though, that's good to hear. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Nate’s out?
Nothing from the UFC or USADA or any of the major reports/personalities yet, but Nate's saying he's not going to show up because he was notified of 'elevated levels'. Could be BS.

Honestly, unless it is weed related, I'd be pretty shocked if Nate was intentionally on anything. And if USADA busts him for the good ole tainted supplement, then it's another one for the list of USADA being too strict.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
McGregor rolling out his plan, Jan 18th likely either Cerrone/Gaethje. Then he wants winner of Diaz and Mazsvidal, then winner of Khabib and Ferguson.

And of course Dana saying they aren't even close on a contract for January 18th. Hopefully all just negotiating and they get it done.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Nothing from the UFC or USADA or any of the major reports/personalities yet, but Nate's saying he's not going to show up because he was notified of 'elevated levels'. Could be BS.

Honestly, unless it is weed related, I'd be pretty shocked if Nate was intentionally on anything. And if USADA busts him for the good ole tainted supplement, then it's another one for the list of USADA being too strict.

Almost sounds like a situation where Diaz was informed of a potential violation but they were going to keep it under wraps until after the fight, but Diaz being Diaz won't be silenced. Weird situation. If Diaz is indeed out I wonder if we see El Cucuy or Cowboy step up?

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hopefully everything with the Nate fight is fine, but maybe this will finally get the UFC to get their shit together when it comes to this USADA nonsense.

For people who don't really follow it closely, the reason why guys are getting busted more often now is the technology is so advanced that they are able to trace these tiny amounts in people and so now these guys are being flagged as potentially positive even when it's no competitive advantage. They are apparently working on getting this changed, but in the meantime are essentially ruining fighters' careers and hurting the sport.

Kind of comparable is instant replay in the NFL which was a great thing in principle but there are so many HD camera angles now that they have overdone it by analyzing each blade of grass that a foot or hand might be touching.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019

member 51464

That is a solid replacement!

Also, McGregor and Cerrone works since both are coming off losses. Gaethje is ahead of McGregor and looking forward. Unless Gaethje wanted McGregor for the payday, he has earned it, but otherwise? Get back in and show us something, Conor.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That is a solid replacement!

Also, McGregor and Cerrone works since both are coming off losses. Gaethje is ahead of McGregor and looking forward. Unless Gaethje wanted McGregor for the payday, he has earned it, but otherwise? Get back in and show us something, Conor.
Gaethje would and absolutely should take the Conor fight if it's on the table. Yes, for the payday and the increased name recognition from casuals, but also, who else is he going to fight? They're talking about doing Khabib-Tony in like March. If he'd wait for the winner, that means we're talking like July next year for his next fight at the earliest. That's a long time. A lot can happen between now and then. Conor could come back and get a win (say against Cowboy) and you know the UFC would be itching to give him the next title shot. GSP is out there if Khabib wins. Who knows what any of the guys below Gaethje do between now and then. Take the payday, stay active, try to knock Conor down another peg, and stay as the next in line for the title shot.

Reactions: m9

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't believe for a second that the UFC or McGregor is considering Gaethje

Gaethje isn't a big enough name, and he offers too big a risk to McGregor

If you're the UFC, you're hoping Diaz beats Masvidal, so you can set up Diaz vs McGregor 3 with the winner taking on the winner of Khabib/Ferguson

Reactions: Avs_19 and Sheppy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad