MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 51464

Wait, Luke is really not retiring at this point? Dude.....don't be a dumbass. I don't even care if he KO'd Gustaffson, Rockhold seems to have reached his usable lifespan as a fighter.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Never trust MMA retirements. Gus just retired in June and is talking about a return. Struve retired in February and is already booked in a return fight. It sounds like Rumble is also coming back at HW next year (if he can get by USADA after that whole body building career or whatever he was doing).

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Never trust MMA retirements. Gus just retired in June and is talking about a return. Struve retired in February and is already booked in a return fight. It sounds like Rumble is also coming back at HW next year (if he can get by USADA after that whole body building career or whatever he was doing).
Recently Faber. I don't know if they actually retired or not but Condit and Matt Brown have both recently agreed to fights. I just hope these guys aren't doing it because they need the money, but unfortunately, that is probably the case except for probably Faber.

member 51464

Stipe should fight Struve and avenge his only other career loss.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Stipe should fight Struve and avenge his only other career loss.
It is still strange. You look at Stipe, the guys he beat, and his losses...DC (which he avenged), JDS (which he avenged), and....Stefan Struve. It's really the only black eye on his resume. The other HW GOATs all lost....but none of them lost to Stefan Struve.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It is still strange. You look at Stipe, the guys he beat, and his losses...DC (which he avenged), JDS (which he avenged), and....Stefan Struve. It's really the only black eye on his resume. The other HW GOATs all lost....but none of them lost to Stefan Struve.

Especially getting KO'd by Struve - just so random.

As for Gus, no surprise he's coming back - I didn't believe his retirement for a second.

Reactions: Jasper

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Recently Faber. I don't know if they actually retired or not but Condit and Matt Brown have both recently agreed to fights. I just hope these guys aren't doing it because they need the money, but unfortunately, that is probably the case except for probably Faber.

Didn't he leave originally a few years ago for some kind of coffee venture? That didn't pan out, and he came back to the UFC where I don't think he has won a fight! Looks a shadow of his former self. Have to wonder how much his heart is in it. Definitely doing it for the money at this point.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Didn't he leave originally a few years ago for some kind of coffee venture? That didn't pan out, and he came back to the UFC where I don't think he has won a fight! Looks a shadow of his former self. Have to wonder how much his heart is in it. Definitely doing it for the money at this point.
I don't know about the coffee thing, but looking at his record, he's been a little bit more active than I was thinking. He's had at least 1 fight every year since 2002(!), although if he makes it to fight night against Micky Gall in December, it will be close to a year since his last fight. Somehow, he's still only 35 and although he's lost 5 in a row, he hasn't been knocked out since 2014 by Woodley. Still, he's had a long, hard career. He's not getting back to the title and I doubt many are tuning in to see him, so he's probably not making that much money either. I wish he'd find something else to do for a living.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I just think Condit has gotten old and isn't at the same level anymore. Nothing to do with lack of heart or money.

He also didn't get "knocked out" vs Woodley, he got leg kicked and wrecked his knee.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't know about the coffee thing, but looking at his record, he's been a little bit more active than I was thinking. He's had at least 1 fight every year since 2002(!), although if he makes it to fight night against Micky Gall in December, it will be close to a year since his last fight. Somehow, he's still only 35 and although he's lost 5 in a row, he hasn't been knocked out since 2014 by Woodley. Still, he's had a long, hard career. He's not getting back to the title and I doubt many are tuning in to see him, so he's probably not making that much money either. I wish he'd find something else to do for a living.

I remember going to see him live in Vancouver when he fought Maia as he headlined the event in August 2016. Some regarded it as a fight to determine the next potential title challenger. I remember Wonderboy was in the crowd and also taking photos with fans outside prior to the event. Condit was definitely he big attraction on that card. He got submitted in a couple of minutes and the crowd were pretty pissed off. Plenty of booing unfortunately.

And yeah, he started a nitro coffee company in 2017, but I don't think it worked out that well, because he was soon back in the ring fighting.

Just goes to show how quickly things change in the UFC.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He also didn't get "knocked out" vs Woodley, he got leg kicked and wrecked his knee.
That's right. I wasn't thinking. Just looking through the results. But my point with that was that at least he's not getting KO'ed every time he steps out there.

I remember going to see him live in Vancouver when he fought Maia as he headlined the event in August 2016. Some regarded it as a fight to determine the next potential title challenger. I remember Wonderboy was in the crowd and also taking photos with fans outside prior to the event. Condit was definitely he big attraction on that card. He got submitted in a couple of minutes and the crowd were pretty pissed off. Plenty of booing unfortunately.

And yeah, he started a nitro coffee company in 2017, but I don't think it worked out that well, because he was soon back in the ring fighting.

Just goes to show how quickly things change in the UFC.
Yeah makes sense he was the crowd favorite on that one. Earlier that year he lost a split decision to Lawler for the belt in a 5 round war. And from 2010-2016, he fought 10 times and got a performance bonus in 7 of those fights.

He's lost 5 in a row, but to his credit, he's still fighting legit guys (with maybe the exception of the Brazilian Cowboy which was supposed to be Matt Brown who had to pull out). Mickey Gall is a name because of the CM Punk fight, but this is his first real step down in competition.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
UFC had a good WW title fight that would've gotten the top of the division moving in Usman/Covington and a match up that was almost unanimously praised in Nate/Masvidal and they might screw both of those up. They like to play games in the media at times and negotiate publicly so this could be another one of those but it sounds like Usman/Masvidal is a possibility for MSG. The worst part of all is that if this happens, we have to keep hearing from that idiot Covington because he still wouldn't have gotten his shot.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Seems more like the UFC negotiating through the media to me. That fight has to get done.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
UFC had a good WW title fight that would've gotten the top of the division moving in Usman/Covington and a match up that was almost unanimously praised in Nate/Masvidal and they might screw both of those up. They like to play games in the media at times and negotiate publicly so this could be another one of those but it sounds like Usman/Masvidal is a possibility for MSG. The worst part of all is that if this happens, we have to keep hearing from that idiot Covington because he still wouldn't have gotten his shot.
Not to fan the flames with completely unsubstantiated speculation, but what if they are trying to make Conor-Nate 3 instead of Nate-Masvidal?

Doesn't explain why they wouldn't do Usman-Covington I guess, but maybe they just want to strike while the iron is hot with Masvidal?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Not to fan the flames with completely unsubstantiated speculation, but what if they are trying to make Conor-Nate 3 instead of Nate-Masvidal?

Doesn't explain why they wouldn't do Usman-Covington I guess, but maybe they just want to strike while the iron is hot with Masvidal?

The likely reasoning is that they're just negotiating publicly to put pressure on the fighters. They've had some issues booking Covington fights in the past though and moved on so that could be a possibility.

Nate/Masvidal needs to happen and I think it's a better and bigger fight than the title fight. UFC should just let them headline MSG.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The likely reasoning is that they're just negotiating publicly to put pressure on the fighters. They've had some issues booking Covington fights in the past though and moved on so that could be a possibility.

Nate/Masvidal needs to happen and I think it's a better and bigger fight than the title fight. UFC should just let them headline MSG.
You're probably right and I agree those are the fights they should make...

...but if Conor wants to come back against Nate, I think they accommodate that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nate-Masvidal done deal for UFC 244 at MSG. Main event. UFC got one right.

Perfect. This fight needed to be five rounds and I'm glad these two get to headline a big PPV. Creating a BMF belt is kinda corny but also kinda awesome at the same time.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Perfect. This fight needed to be five rounds and I'm glad these two get to headline a big PPV. Creating a BMF belt is kinda corny but also kinda awesome at the same time.

Dana and the UFC getting behind it kind of makes it corny. Part of Nate's charm is that it is seemingly always Nate vs. the man. Just let it be Nate's thing and another thing that he can point to as 'the UFC not giving him the respect he deserves'....some of which is warranted, some of it is made up in Nate's mind.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Dana and the UFC getting behind it kind of makes it corny. Part of Nate's charm is that it is seemingly always Nate vs. the man. Just let it be Nate's thing and another thing that he can point to as 'the UFC not giving him the respect he deserves'....some of which is warranted, some of it is made up in Nate's mind.
Dana will always piggyback on every profitable opportunity. He knows Masvidal and Nate are at their peak marketability right now, and a big part of that appeal is them being badass MFs who just wanna scrap, so of course Dana is coming in trying to cash in on that as much as possible.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dana will always piggyback on every profitable opportunity. He knows Masvidal and Nate are at their peak marketability right now, and a big part of that appeal is them being badass MFs who just wanna scrap, so of course Dana is coming in trying to cash in on that as much as possible.
I don't think it helps, though. It's like when your dad starts using the hip lingo. It's just not cool anymore once that starts to happen.

Who knows, though. Maybe Nate demanded it or something.

Reactions: 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't think it helps, though. It's like when your dad starts using the hip lingo. It's just not cool anymore once that starts to happen.

Who knows, though. Maybe Nate demanded it or something.
Dana's always been a cringy idiot, don't think that'll ever change. Remember the "Isn't he f***ing awesome" line when he was doing an interview and talkinga about Conor said to him how he wanted to fight Khabib in Russia? Dana sounded like a smitten schoolgirl talking about her crush, it was embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad