MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I think Lesnar would beat Cormier

Mind you, that's the Lesnar of old. Not sure how much he's been training and what kind of shape he's in these days, but I really don't think Cormier would fair well against a prime Lesnar

I gotta think that in a perfect world scenario for the UFC, Lesnar beats Cormier for the strap which sets up a super fight between he and 205 champ Jones

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Interesting topic on the Luke Thomas show today.. one I've been thinking about after DJ lost. Is it the right time to ditch 125lbs?

DJ can fight at 135lbs. Sergio Pettis is moving up to 135lbs. Cejudo is likely challenging Dillashaw at 135lbs for the belt.

Seems to me this is the best time to ditch a division that most people didn't want anyway.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL and Avs_19

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

Mind you, that's the Lesnar of old. Not sure how much he's been training and what kind of shape he's in these days, but I really don't think Cormier would fair well against a prime Lesnar

I gotta think that in a perfect world scenario for the UFC, Lesnar beats Cormier for the strap which sets up a super fight between he and 205 champ Jones

You're missing something? More like you're missing a lot. Lesnar of old or new, he's not beating DC.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Lesnar is a massive guy compared to DC, so I'm not going to pretend there is zero chance he could grab Cormier and throw him on the ground for 15 minutes. But it's extremely unlikely, and I like it even less over 25 minutes.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Interesting topic on the Luke Thomas show today.. one I've been thinking about after DJ lost. Is it the right time to ditch 125lbs?

DJ can fight at 135lbs. Sergio Pettis is moving up to 135lbs. Cejudo is likely challenging Dillashaw at 135lbs for the belt.

Seems to me this is the best time to ditch a division that most people didn't want anyway.

Cruz brought this up in an interview last week. He said he hasn't heard anything but that could be the plan with Cejudo moving up. He also said it's going to kill the 125 lb division either way if Cejudo goes up and becomes champion.

I don't feel strongly about that division so I'm fine with whatever. I don't dislike it as much as some others do and I also don't get too excited for those fights. I agree that this is the best time to do it if that's what they really want. It would also add some more intrigue to the top of the 135 lb division, which is really just three guys battling at the top right now.

member 51464

Also, is Stipe injured? DC had said he'd get a rematch if Brock and him fighting didn't come together.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Also, is Stipe injured? DC had said he'd get a rematch if Brock and him fighting didn't come together.

Not injured, wanted the fight vs DC at UFC 230. Believe he was the backup option if the Lewis/Volkov winner couldn't go.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Cruz brought this up in an interview last week. He said he hasn't heard anything but that could be the plan with Cejudo moving up. He also said it's going to kill the 125 lb division either way if Cejudo goes up and becomes champion.

I don't feel strongly about that division so I'm fine with whatever. I don't dislike it as much as some others do and I also don't get too excited for those fights. I agree that this is the best time to do it if that's what they really want. It would also add some more intrigue to the top of the 135 lb division, which is really just three guys battling at the top right now.

I think ditching the division is 100% the right move. The ranked guys in the the division will still be capable at 135lbs. I think it's an immediate jolt to 135lbs and creates some interesting fights.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I think the right time to ditch the Flyweight division was about six and a half years ago. Nobody cared about it then and nobody cares about it now.

Get rid of 125lbs and add a 165lbs division as well as changing WW to 175lbs.

Reactions: Killahpunk and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the right time to ditch the Flyweight division was about six and a half years ago. Nobody cared about it then and nobody cares about it now.

Get rid of 125lbs and add a 165lbs division as well as changing WW to 175lbs.

This would make the most sense to me as well. There are so many talented guys at 155lbs and splitting the division up would be great. They did the same thing when they introduced 145lbs and it's been a success.

The next thing I would work on is the woman's side. It's crazy to me that there are 4 belts and maybe like 20 good fighters in the UFC.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't really care about the men's or the women's 125lb divisions right now, but I don't really care that they exist, either. I just wish the UFC didn't rely so much on having a belt be the main event for a PPV. The Valentina-Eubanks main eventing a PPV was a joke from the second they announced it.

If they want to use the belt to add to a PPV card (like Mighty Mouse has done for most of his career) or to main event a Fight Night, that would be fine by me. But until there are some interesting fights, they have no business building a PPV card around those divisions.

Reactions: m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
No offense to Lewis, but boy HW is thin if he's the number one contender. Guy is always exhausted, has little to no ground game, and just doesn't strike me as a terribly skilled guy, nor a guy who trains very seriously. Some will say that's his back issue, but it is what it is. He's coming off the most boring fight in UFC history, and a fight where he got throttled for 14.5 minutes. That big right hand is devastating, but DC should be able dispose of him with ease.

I would give Lesnar a shot against Cormier at his absolute peak physical condition, like the Herring/Couture/Mir version. He's not in nearly the shape he was in back then, particularly muscularly. I wouldn't favor him even back then, but at least he'd have 50 quality pounds on DC. Today's version of Lesnar won't be able to take DC down, and we've all seen how his fights go when he doesn't have success in that area. The Lesnar that fought Cain was already past his physical prime due to the bouts with diverticulitis, and he took Cain down in about 15 seconds, so I have no doubt that version could've put DC on his back. I don't think today's version can.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No offense to Lewis, but boy HW is thin if he's the number one contender. Guy is always exhausted, has little to no ground game, and just doesn't strike me as a terribly skilled guy, nor a guy who trains very seriously. Some will say that's his back issue, but it is what it is. He's coming off the most boring fight in UFC history, and a fight where he got throttled for 14.5 minutes. That big right hand is devastating, but DC should be able dispose of him with ease.

I would give Lesnar a shot against Cormier at his absolute peak physical condition, like the Herring/Couture/Mir version. He's not in nearly the shape he was in back then, particularly muscularly. I wouldn't favor him even back then, but at least he'd have 50 quality pounds on DC. Today's version of Lesnar won't be able to take DC down, and we've all seen how his fights go when he doesn't have success in that area. The Lesnar that fought Cain was already past his physical prime due to the bouts with diverticulitis, and he took Cain down in about 15 seconds, so I have no doubt that version could've put DC on his back. I don't think today's version can.
I don't think Lewis is really the #1 contender, but I think he's got some things in his favor.
1) His resume is pretty good. He's 9-1 in his last 10 fights (only loss was to Hunt, 4 fights ago).
2) He's a fan favorite. Mainly because he's so funny.
3) I think DC thinks it's an easy fight. I don't think DC wants to risk the Brock fight against a very willing Stipe. Or Blades. Or Jones (if Jones was willing, which it sounds like he wasn't).

Peak, roided-out Brock vs. DC would be an interesting fight. I think DC still wins just because he's a much more well rounded fighter than Brock has ever been. How much does/did Brock cut to make 265? DC was around 250lb when he fought Stipe, so I'm not sure he'd even have that much of a weight advantage.

Edit: DC basically confirmed #3:

“I would not have accepted a rematch against StipeMiocic on short notice, he’s too good under these circumstances,” Cormier said. “I’m not saying Derrick isn’t good, but Stipe is capable of beating me in different ways. He does different things well. I think in this fight, Derrick has to knock me out to win.

”Usually, if a guy only has one path to victory, I do pretty well,” Cormier concluded. “Yes, I will admit the opponent factored into this.”

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think Lewis is really the #1 contender, but I think he's got some things in his favor.
1) His resume is pretty good. He's 9-1 in his last 10 fights (only loss was to Hunt, 4 fights ago).
2) He's a fan favorite. Mainly because he's so funny.
3) I think DC thinks it's an easy fight. I don't think DC wants to risk the Brock fight against a very willing Stipe. Or Blades. Or Jones (if Jones was willing, which it sounds like he wasn't).

Peak, roided-out Brock vs. DC would be an interesting fight. I think DC still wins just because he's a much more well rounded fighter than Brock has ever been. How much does/did Brock cut to make 265? DC was around 250lb when he fought Stipe, so I'm not sure he'd even have that much of a weight advantage.

Edit: DC basically confirmed #3:

“I would not have accepted a rematch against StipeMiocic on short notice, he’s too good under these circumstances,” Cormier said. “I’m not saying Derrick isn’t good, but Stipe is capable of beating me in different ways. He does different things well. I think in this fight, Derrick has to knock me out to win.

”Usually, if a guy only has one path to victory, I do pretty well,” Cormier concluded. “Yes, I will admit the opponent factored into this.”

Yeah. I'm a big DC fan and I'm pretty sure others here are as well but it seems clear that he's just looking for some pay days on the way out. There's nothing wrong with that and one could say he has earned that right but it's okay to admit as much. A couple months back he refused to fight Gus but was more than willing to defend his title against Shogun. Now, he was too injured or just unwilling to fight Stipe but will defend his title against a beaten up Lewis on three weeks notice. If all goes well, he'll then get his monster pay day against Lesnar, who is 0-2-1 in his last three fights and hasn't won in nearly 8 years.

Reactions: pistolpete11 and m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah. I'm a big DC fan and I'm pretty sure others here are as well but it seems clear that he's just looking for some pay days on the way out. There's nothing wrong with that and one could say he has earned that right but it's okay to admit as much. A couple months back he refused to fight Gus but was more than willing to defend his title against Shogun. Now, he was too injured or just unwilling to fight Stipe but will defend his title against a beaten up Lewis on three weeks notice. If all goes well, he'll then get his monster pay day against Lesnar, who is 0-2-1 in his last three fights and hasn't won in nearly 8 years.
I'm a DC fan and I totally understand why he's doing what he's doing. The Brock fight is a HUGE payday and Lewis probably is an easy fight for him. Plus, the UFC probably dumped a boatload of money in his lap to save UFC 230 after the blow back from Valentina-Eubanks. So he's going to maximize his financial reward for the end of his career. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an exception for Jones after the Brock fight (I know he says he only has 2 fights left including Lewis and that he won't fight as a 40-year-old, but.....). I get it.

Having said that, it is a little disappointing. I would rather see him rematch with Stipe, Gus, or Jones before seeing him fight Lewis or Brock. Good for him, but it's not what I want to see.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm a DC fan and I totally understand why he's doing what he's doing. The Brock fight is a HUGE payday and Lewis probably is an easy fight for him. Plus, the UFC probably dumped a boatload of money in his lap to save UFC 230 after the blow back from Valentina-Eubanks. So he's going to maximize his financial reward for the end of his career. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an exception for Jones after the Brock fight (I know he says he only has 2 fights left including Lewis and that he won't fight as a 40-year-old, but.....). I get it.

Having said that, it is a little disappointing. I would rather see him rematch with Stipe, Gus, or Jones before seeing him fight Lewis or Brock. Good for him, but it's not what I want to see.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I still think we get the Jones fight at the end of it. If everything goes according to plan, a champ vs. champ fight in March/April seems doable.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I wonder if its worth starting a thread for Bellator 207: Mitrione vs. Bader and Bellator 208: Fedor vs. Sonnen.
Not that we didn't know this but my God Mitrione's TDD and ground game are horrendous. I was surprised Roy got beat as badly as he did. He ate two blatant illegal knees but I don't think that really had much impact on the outcome. Roy's usually real good at covering up but he had no answer for the knees and uppercuts. Tomorrow night will be interesting. I don't see a path to victory for Sonnen but I'll certainly tune in.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Lesner is going to out weigh DC by about 60lbs for the fight, he will cut to 265, and by fight be back up in the 280s.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Lesner is going to out weigh DC by about 60lbs for the fight, he will cut to 265, and by fight be back up in the 280s.
DC weighed in at 246lbs against Stipe. I wouldn't be surprised if he's even heavier than that against Brock. We'll see where he is against Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad