MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of his and really enjoyed getting to see pretty much every one of his fights, but I get it. He can go to ONE, win the belt and have a much easier time being the big fish in a little pond over there, and presumably make more money than UFC offered. What's he going to do in UFC at this point? Be a stepping stone or gatekeeper for the younger guys to prove they're ready for a title shot? I say this because it's clear he's not going to get a title shot any time soon over here. He's on the back 9 of his career. Take the money and easier fights.

Not sure how it works out in terms of money - I'm sure Eddie took the best deal for him.

I do think there was lots for him in the UFC still though. There are so many great fighters at 155lbs that he never fought, would have been nice to see how those styles matched up.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

I can't be mad at that. He has fought all of the best guys and won everywhere he goes. He's almost 35 years old and has been in some wars so getting paid good money to fight lesser competition is a good way to go out.

He only went 4-3-1 in the UFC but he never took an easy fight. Cerrone, Melendez, Pettis, RDA, McGregor, Poirier, Gaethje, and Poirier again is a crazy lineup.

There was somebody on Reddit r/mma who did an analysis on 'difficulty of opponents' for each fighter. Alvarez was #1, he fought straight killers.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Not sure how it works out in terms of money - I'm sure Eddie took the best deal for him.

I do think there was lots for him in the UFC still though. There are so many great fighters at 155lbs that he never fought, would have been nice to see how those styles matched up.

There were plenty of fights for him, but I doubt he'd have gotten a shot at the belt again, except as a last minute replacement for someone hurt or missing a cut. And I'm sure the money wasn't as good in UFC. I can't say I blame him for doing what's best either. No matter how much I'd have preferred he stayed.

Reactions: 1specter

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Somewhat MMA related, DAZN has signed Canelo for an 11 fight, $365 million deal. DAZN is now the exclusive home for Anthony Joshua and Canelo. The more fight fans that sign up for DAZN in the US, the more potential viewers for Bellator. And DAZN will be promoting Bellator at during the Canelo and Joshua fights. Might not have been such a short-sighted decision after all for Bellator.

Not sure if it was posted, but near the end of September, HBO announced they're pulling the pin on boxing altogether at the end of 2018.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Regarding Alvarez, what was there left for him to prove in the UFC? He's likely going to be making A LOT more with ONE. Plus if a Alvarez/Martin Nguyen fight doesn't interest you, than you're not an MMA fan.

Reactions: LSCII

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Somewhat MMA related, DAZN has signed Canelo for an 11 fight, $365 million deal. DAZN is now the exclusive home for Anthony Joshua and Canelo. The more fight fans that sign up for DAZN in the US, the more potential viewers for Bellator. And DAZN will be promoting Bellator at during the Canelo and Joshua fights. Might not have been such a short-sighted decision after all for Bellator.

Not sure if it was posted, but near the end of September, HBO announced they're pulling the pin on boxing altogether at the end of 2018.

Pretty crazy with Canelo. I hope DAZN works - the first season of NFL in Canada had it's glitches, but it's been great since then. Been watching the NFL, Bellator, and caught the Joshua fight as well. I still can't stand their app or their design, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Regarding Alvarez, what was there left for him to prove in the UFC? He's likely going to be making A LOT more with ONE. Plus if a Alvarez/Martin Nguyen fight doesn't interest you, than you're not an MMA fan.

Nobody is questioning the financial side of things. I would rather he fought in the UFC because there are much better fights for him and it's easier for me to watch him. Alvarez is a top 5-ish guy who is going to an organization where (as of now) there is nobody to fight. Why is Nguyen an interesting opponent?

Is One a Pride replacement?

Can they be a top organization eventually?

OneFC has been around for awhile - they do a good job as a company. I would compare them more to a PFL or something in terms of quality.. probably even lower.

They're charging $50 for this........

Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz
Kenneth Berg vs. Jorge Gonzalez
Gleison Tibau vs. Efrain Escudero
Walel Watson vs. Ricardo Palacios
Deron Winn vs. Tom Lawlor
Jay Silva vs. Oscar Cota

Proposed Liddell vs. Ortiz 3 lineup features Gleison Tibau vs. Efrain Escudero

This is really, really bad.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Alvarez said that OneFC is trying to ban weight-cutting and he's fighting at 169lbs.

Not sure on the details, but love the thought. Hope it's the future of the sport.

Reactions: Avs_19 and LSCII

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They're charging $50 for this........

Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz
Kenneth Berg vs. Jorge Gonzalez
Gleison Tibau vs. Efrain Escudero
Walel Watson vs. Ricardo Palacios
Deron Winn vs. Tom Lawlor
Jay Silva vs. Oscar Cota

Proposed Liddell vs. Ortiz 3 lineup features Gleison Tibau vs. Efrain Escudero
Liddell looks f***ing terrible on the pads. I mean, for a 48 year old man he looks alright, but for a guy about to step into the Octagon he looks so so bad. All his speed is gone.

I have no idea why this fight is being sanctioned.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Looks like UFC is wasting no time with Sergey Pavlovich.

Looks like he’ll meet Overeem in Beijing.

Thats a very tough debut.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Rockhold pulled out of UFC 230 due to 'multiple injuries'. Replaced by Jacare who was supposed to be fighting Branch on that card. The UFC is looking for an opponent for Branch.

This card is starting to feel like UFC 200. First Romero vs. Costa got cancelled, then the main event fiasco, then Poirier pulled out, now Rockhold, and it's still 2 weeks away with all the weigh-ins to go. Quick, somebody call Valentina and see what she's doing on November 3!

I never loved DC-Lewis, but I was satisfied because it was better than Valentina-Eubanks and the rest of the card was so good. Now, it is very meh. And that's meh for any PPV. It's terrible for MSG.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Rockhold pulled out of UFC 230 due to 'multiple injuries'. Replaced by Jacare who was supposed to be fighting Branch on that card. The UFC is looking for an opponent for Branch.

This card is starting to feel like UFC 200. First Romero vs. Costa got cancelled, then the main event fiasco, then Poirier pulled out, now Rockhold, and it's still 2 weeks away with all the weigh-ins to go. Quick, somebody call Valentina and see what she's doing on November 3!

I never loved DC-Lewis, but I was satisfied because it was better than Valentina-Eubanks and the rest of the card was so good. Now, it is very meh. And that's meh for any PPV. It's terrible for MSG.

More bad news for this card but at least Weidman vs. Jacare is a really good fight and one I've wanted to see for a while. Having a couple of high level MW fights on the card helped them here.

Yeah, it's shaping up to be a very mediocre PPV on paper. The card goes about three deep right now.

Reactions: pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
More bad news for this card but at least Weidman vs. Jacare is a really good fight and one I've wanted to see for a while. Having a couple of high level MW fights on the card helped them here.

Yeah, it's shaping up to be a very mediocre PPV on paper. The card goes about three deep right now.
Yeah, let's hope it goes 3 deep by the time fight night is here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think there's a chance DC doesn't get cleared either - NY commission doesn't mess around.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
At this rate Eubanks might end up on the main card again by the time it’s fight night.
At least she's a bigger name now than she was before :laugh:

I think there's a chance DC doesn't get cleared either - NY commission doesn't mess around.
I wonder about Lewis, too. I mean, the guy took over 100 significant shots and was wobbled a few times a month prior.

Should have just put Cormier/Lewis on the 227 card. Texas approves everything.
It wasn't that this fight had to happen, though. They only made it to (partially) satisfy the fans' expectations for the MSG man event. Otherwise, DC would still be waiting for Brock.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I've always wanted to see something like this play out. This is probably another sign that the flyweight division won't be around much longer. Personally, I'd much rather watch DJ fight than Askren.

Reactions: pistolpete11

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I've always wanted to see something like this play out. This is probably another sign that the flyweight division won't be around much longer. Personally, I'd much rather watch DJ fight than Askren.

This is pretty crazy. Have to think this is more about Matt Hume as he has close ties to DJ & OneFC.

Credit to OneFC for making moves though. Coming off the Alvarez signing, this is another big one.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I really don't get why the UFC devalues DJ on a regular basis. Guy is an incredible fighter, even if his division isn't all that deep. And you can't blame him for the lack of depth on the UFC roster.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I really don't get why the UFC devalues DJ on a regular basis. Guy is an incredible fighter, even if his division isn't all that deep. And you can't blame him for the lack of depth on the UFC roster.

The division just doesn't sell here. I do think the UFC shares some of the blame, especially when it came to promoting DJ, but it's not all on them. Being one of the faces of One FC in a region where the smaller weight classes are more respected will probably be better for DJ.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The division just doesn't sell here. I do think the UFC shares some of the blame, especially when it came to promoting DJ, but it's not all on them. Being one of the faces of One FC in a region where the smaller weight classes are more respected will probably be better for DJ.

Yeah, I guess. Sucks to see though because he's so fun to watch. I guess if they get Askren in return, we can finally see how his game plays in the UFC, which will be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->