MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by garnetpalmetto, May 19, 2017.

View Users: View Users
  1. garnetpalmetto

garnetpalmetto Global Moderator

Continue on!

sheriff bart likes this.
  2. Jasper

Jasper Registered User

UFC seems to be in a mess right now. Couple of weird things going on and not a whole lot of interesting fights coming up.

3. jw2

jw2 Registered User

I think there are some interesting fights . I think the cards have been underrated (except the last ppv was overrated) and they're doing a terrible job promoting cards since the buy. I don't think you need big names to make a card. And the belts have been a mess for years, it's nothing new. I guess people have been ignoring it, though.

4. Avs_19

Avs_19 Peter the Great

Bellator really needs to stop putting Kongo on main cards. It should be online prelims only.

5. tmurfin

tmurfin So Good! Mony Mony!

Yah Zuffa was going all out on advertising for the year leading up to the buy, now the new owners are pinching pennies. Garbage, a lot of good fights coming up and passed, not near as much hype.

6. Wood Stick

Wood Stick Registered User

I fully expect Joseph Duffy to eventually end up in Bellator.

7. Avs_19

Avs_19 Peter the Great

Excellent debut for Rory. I was a little worried he might brawl with Daley but he went with the smart approach and made it look easy. Hopefully Larkin beats Lima so we get to see Rory vs. Larkin for the title.

8. MD thaivuN

MD thaivuN Anime Music Hipster

Nerd
    Home Page:
    in a world where Bellator doesn't snatch Phil Davis and Ryan Bader, Linton Vassell could be bellator champ. He's a pretty underrated.

9. tmurfin

Reeeeeally impressed with Rory, I expected him to win but he was just on another level. Daley didn't even touch him.

And I especially love how Jimmy Smith didn't get to relish in the defeat of a Former UFC fighter. The way he talked about Benson coming in, really turned me off the guy.

10. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    So Cyborg threw a punch at another fighter during the fighter's retreat this weekend. Seems like a reasonable way to keep your name relevant despite not fighting in forever.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/5/2...n-physical-altercation-at-ufc-athlete-retreat

Best part is she threw it at a 115 lb fighter and didn't do much damage if you look at the post fracas pictures. Have to give Magana credit. The Jigsaw reference was pretty spot on...

11. Rocko604

Rocko604 Playoffs?

Rory looked like a machine. Daley didn't even try to fight it, just tapped like the little ***** **** he is.

12. tmurfin

You must show REPECT to your fellow fighters. No harassment. But it's perfectly reasonable to physically assault someone 40+ pounds lighter than you.. Riiiiight.

13. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    That's the exact conversation I had with a friend yesterday about this. And then you see her playing the victim this morning. Pathetic.

I get Cyborg was mad at her for the Jigsaw insult, but seriously? You think it's okay to assault someone that made fun of you on the internet? Yikes. Best part is that despite having 40+ LBS on her, the punch Cyborg threw didn't even budge Magana. Not even a step backwards. Sad really. Must mean it's time for another cycle...

14. kurt

kurt the last emperor

Home Page:
    Equal parts he is underrated and McGeary is overrated, IMO.

15. MD thaivuN

MD thaivuN Anime Music Hipster

Nerd
    Home Page:
    Indeed, being a one-dimensional guard player doesn't get you anywhere far in MMA even if LHW is shallow as hell

16. tmurfin

I remember people saying McGeary could give Jones a run for his money :laugh:, I like him, but dude has been disappointing. Relies solely on his guard game.

17. Rocko604

Rocko604 Playoffs?

Romero/Whittaker for the Interim Middleweight Championship.

Now, you would think when Bisping is magically healed from his knee injury -that all of a sudden happened when the GSP fight was called off- he'll fight the winner. Well, that part hasn't been made clear yet as he still wants the GSP fight.

And now with Dana trying to make Woodley/GSP, Maia will likely get screwed once again.

18. tmurfin

I still think the Bisping/GSP fight happens. That's the money fight for both guys, and both will be pushing for it.

Also, DJ is standing firm. Says he has no interest in fighting Dillashaw until he gets in line and earns it. Fair enough, half of me thinks it's a ploy to get more money though. And it makes sense, this fight isn't and shouldn't be one you just throw together just because, it should be hyped and sold as a superfight and DJ should get paid fairly for it.

19. kurt

kurt the last emperor

Home Page:
    Yep. And from what I've seen in interviews etc, his general attitude doesn't seem to be that he has gaps in his game that he needs to focus on. Maybe that isn't accurate, just my impression.

He could maybe catch a submission (like he did on a few opponents on his way to his elevated status in the rankings in the first place), but otherwise, yeah, I think that would be a very one-sided affair. I didn't see many people pushing that idea. Maybe they were UK fans, and/or simply suggesting there wasn't really anyone else to put in front of Jones at this point?

20. tmurfin

Well I used to spend some time on the Sherdog forums... So that should say enough :laugh:

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  21. kurt

kurt the last emperor

Home Page:
    Love the Romero/Whittaker fight. And I gotta say, I like Whittaker's chances.

I sincerely hope Bisping still gets his GSP fight, and Maia still gets his Woodley fight. I'm tired of fighters getting dicked around.

22. kurt

kurt the last emperor

Home Page:
    Good for DJ. I'm sure he'd take the fight if he gets a major payday, though. Otherwise, not at all worth the risk.

23. Avs_19

Avs_19 Peter the Great

I like the Romero/Whittaker match up. I don't really care for the interim belt but I'm all for it if that's what it takes to make this a five round fight. Props to Romero for taking a dangerous fight when he could probably just wait for the real belt. That card is looking really good on paper.

Hopefully Dana can find a way to put an end to this Bisping/GSP stuff so we get Bisping vs. Romero/Whittaker and GSP vs. Woodley/Maia in the fall.

No too surprising that DJ is being vocal about not fighting Dillashaw again. Could just be a way to get more money but who knows. I like a fight against Dillashaw a lot more than Borg because I think DJ will finally be tested but by no means is that a super fight, money fight, or anything else along those lines. UFC could put all their time and effort into promoting it but a PPV headlined by those two won't even crack 250k.

24. m9

m9 Registered User Sponsor

I really don't get DJ's point here. It's finally a fight of his that people actually care about, and he doesn't want it? He says Dillashaw doesn't deserve it, but neither does Ray Borg. I mean, you just fought a guy who got his title shot through TUF. Get over yourself.

25. BGDDYKWL

BGDDYKWL Registered User

For a guy always complaining about his pay to turn down by far the biggest money fight on the horizon for him is a very bad look. I agree no matter how much the UFC promotes it the fight won't do a ton of PPV buys, but it'll destroy a MM/Borg matchup.

Agreed on all points.