MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm aware of his history, but the reality is there is a reason why guys his size are fighting at 185 or 205 at most. He doesn't have a HW body type, and when he's in the cage at the higher weight he is clearly not in the best shape. He's been able to overcome it because he's great enough to to win at both classes anyway.
But you can't really apply what's normal to DC. He's clearly unique which is why he's been successful at HW and LHW despite being like 5'10-5'11 or whatever he is. He has a weird body with a really wide frame and he has the athleticism to maintain that 'extra' weight. Some guys are just abnormal and he seems to be one of them.

And yeah as I stated earlier I think he has a better chance at HW. Jones is a naturally very skinny guy and doesn't have to cut much to make 205. If he bulks to HW, although he might be stronger he may also lose his speed and like you said he's not used to fighting at that weight. DC on the other hand has the experience there and also seems to have more pop on his punches at HW.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So we thought they were waiting for Jones and really they were just waiting to see who was fighting Cormier.

Obviously not an amazing fight, but it's good to see Cormier back. I was pretty sure Cormier would end up on this card, but I wasn't expecting Lewis. I really expected it to be Cormier/Miocic 2.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
So UFC230:

Cormier v Lewis
Nate Diaz v Poirer
Rockhold v Weidman
Jacare v Branch
Brunson v Adesanya

Overall, pretty good card. Maybe not amazing but a fine PPV.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's nice to have DC back and I'm glad Lewis is getting paid but this is strange matchmaking. Lewis getting in there against one of the best ever, three weeks after taking a lot of damage and saying he shouldn't be fighting for the title doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

Interesting fight for DC to take as well after reportedly not wanting to give Stipe a rematch because he's waiting for Lesnar and because of his hand injury. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big DC fan and I don't blame him for wanting quick pay days before he retires but it appears he's looking for some easy fights.

This is better than Valentina vs. Eubanks and now we'll get the Joanna fight in December so that's good. Really sucks for Eubanks though.

So we thought they were waiting for Jones and really they were just waiting to see who was fighting Cormier.

Obviously not an amazing fight, but it's good to see Cormier back. I was pretty sure Cormier would end up on this card, but I wasn't expecting Lewis. I really expected it to be Cormier/Miocic 2.

IMO, this wasn't planned and they're trying to take advantage of Lewis' buzz after what happened this weekend.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's nice to have DC back and I'm glad Lewis is getting paid but this is strange matchmaking. Lewis getting in there against one of the best ever, three weeks after taking a lot of damage and saying he shouldn't be fighting for the title doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

Interesting fight for DC to take as well after reportedly not wanting to give Stipe a rematch because he's waiting for Lesnar and because of his hand injury. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big DC fan and I don't blame him for wanting quick pay days before he retires but it appears he's looking for some easy fights.

This is better than Valentina vs. Eubanks and now we'll get the Joanna fight in December so that's good. Really sucks for Eubanks though.

IMO, this wasn't planned and they're trying to take advantage of Lewis' buzz after what happened this weekend.

I think they had a few options lined up, and this was one of them. Volkov, Lewis, or Miocic depending on how things went on Saturday.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Getting lost in all the post UFC 229 madness is that Bellator has two cards this week and the HW tournament is finally close to coming to an end. I'm not exactly sure why they split it into two cards but they did. Bader vs. Mitrione on Friday and Fedor vs. Chael on Saturday.

Reactions: Killahpunk and m9

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Getting lost in all the post UFC 229 madness is that Bellator has two cards this week and the HW tournament is finally close to coming to an end. I'm not exactly sure why they split it into two cards but they did. Bader vs. Mitrione on Friday and Fedor vs. Chael on Saturday.

I work Friday night so personally I’m going to be combining them into one event through the magic of PVR!

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

So much for that. What a disaster this has turned into if Nate doesn't stay on the card.

member 51464

Good for Lewis, but that's a really quick turnaround. May not be the wisest thing health wise.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Even with 6 months worth of training, Lewis would be a huge underdog.

Gotta give him props, he wants his shot at gold even if it’s not wise.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

So much for that. What a disaster this has turned into if Nate doesn't stay on the card.

This card has gone to complete shit. Only thing that would save it would be Conor stepping in for the rubber match.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Really sucks for Dustin, he has been on such great roll, with some of the most entertaining fights we have seen lately.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kind of fishy that Poirer begs for the main event and then he pulls out a few hours after its announced..

Hopefully Diaz still fights. Would love to see him fight Gaethje or Eddie Alvarez.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Slim pickings even if Nate agrees to stay on the card. There's Gaethje and Iaquinta at 155. Maybe Aldo if you want to get creative. There aren't any great options at 170 either.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Kind of fishy that Poirer begs for the main event and then he pulls out a few hours after its announced..

Was thinking the same thing....

I’d be somewhat surprised if Diaz still fights on this card. Maybe they just book the McGregor fight now and be done with it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Was thinking the same thing....

I’d be somewhat surprised if Diaz still fights on this card. Maybe they just book the McGregor fight now and be done with it.

Was thinking that too. Book it for January or something like that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
wonder if Dana throws a shit load of money at Conor to fill in (can he even fight in NY?).

not sure Diaz stays on the card otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad