MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What's the latest with Kevin Lee? He hasn't fought since April, but I haven't heard any rumors about who he'll be fighting next

I can't imagine Nate Diaz would be overly eager to face him

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Nate Diaz's last win at 155 was vs Michael Johnson in 2015. Before that, Maynard in 2013.

Add the Conor win and he has 3 wins total in 6+ years.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Nate Diaz's last win at 155 was vs Michael Johnson in 2015. Before that, Maynard in 2013.

Add the Conor win and he has 3 wins total in 6+ years.

He's clearly not going to be given the next shot at Khabib. If he did get it, I'd be stunned, and Dana White should be fired. I assume that it will be Ferguson vs Khabib next. Maybe Kevin Lee or something like that for Nate?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's clearly not going to be given the next shot at Khabib. If he did get it, I'd be stunned, and Dana White should be fired. I assume that it will be Ferguson vs Khabib next. Maybe Kevin Lee or something like that for Nate?

I think things are lining up for Nate/Conor 3 and Ferguson/Khabib in early 2019. Add Cormier/Lesnar and maybe the return of GSP and Jon Jones.. that's suddenly a completely stacked first half of 2019 at a time where the UFC is moving to ESPN.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Nate was looking like he was in the best shape of his life too. Absolutely shredded and fit. Too bad.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think things are lining up for Nate/Conor 3 and Ferguson/Khabib in early 2019. Add Cormier/Lesnar and maybe the return of GSP and Jon Jones.. that's suddenly a completely stacked first half of 2019 at a time where the UFC is moving to ESPN.
Honestly I'd rather Conor fight Poirier at this point

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't really care to see Conor-Diaz again. Sure, it'd be entertaining, but Diaz is a mid-grade opponent whose reputation has become favourable because stylistically he matches up well against McGregor.

Poirier on the other hand has been on a tear recently and has gotten a lot better since him and Conor last fought. It would also be a good test to see how good Conor still is really, or even how good Poirier is for that matter, as currently Poirier is straddling that line between the elites of the division vs being 'just good' and should be a high level opponent for Conor. If Conor really wants to rematch Khabib as well then he probably has to go through guys like Poirier or Kevin Lee anyways.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What's the latest with Kevin Lee? He hasn't fought since April, but I haven't heard any rumors about who he'll be fighting next

I can't imagine Nate Diaz would be overly eager to face him

Nothing has been announced but it sounds like Lee's headlining the last Fox card in December against Iaquinta. Both guys are talking as if it's pretty much a done deal.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't really care to see Conor-Diaz again. Sure, it'd be entertaining, but Diaz is a mid-grade opponent whose reputation has become favourable because stylistically he matches up well against McGregor.

Poirier on the other hand has been on a tear recently and has gotten a lot better since him and Conor last fought. It would also be a good test to see how good Conor still is really, or even how good Poirier is for that matter, as currently Poirier is straddling that line between the elites of the division vs being 'just good' and should be a high level opponent for Conor. If Conor really wants to rematch Khabib as well then he probably has to go through guys like Poirier or Kevin Lee anyways.

I'm with you in that I don't really care to see McG vs Diaz III at this point. To me, that's a swan song fight for McGregor. Do it right before he walks away for good and leave everything in the ring. McGregor vs Poirier or Lee would be interesting to see. I'd also be down with McGregor vs Holloway part deux or even Aldo. Anything but Diaz at this point. I'd love to see Diaz get back in the ring too, but just against anyone else but McGregor. It would reek of going to the well too many time in too short a time period.

Reactions: 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm with you in that I don't really care to see McG vs Diaz III at this point. To me, that's a swan song fight for McGregor. Do it right before he walks away for good and leave everything in the ring. McGregor vs Poirier or Lee would be interesting to see. I'd also be down with McGregor vs Holloway part deux or even Aldo. Anything but Diaz at this point. I'd love to see Diaz get back in the ring too, but just against anyone else but McGregor. It would reek of going to the well too many time in too short a time period.
Exactly. Diaz vs Poirier would've been great, it's a shame it fell through.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Exactly. Diaz vs Poirier would've been great, it's a shame it fell through.

That was the only fight that was interesting to me before they added DC vs Lewis.

What I don't understand is how they medically cleared Lewis so shortly after fighting a few days ago. Shouldn't he be banned medically for at least 30 days after a fight where he clearly ate a lot of punches?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That was the only fight that was interesting to me before they added DC vs Lewis.

What I don't understand is how they medically cleared Lewis so shortly after fighting a few days ago. Shouldn't he be banned medically for at least 30 days after a fight where he clearly ate a lot of punches?

Generally if someone gets knocked out or gets a concussion I think it's no contact for a month and then technically they can fight two weeks after that, though obviously most take much longer.

In a case like Lewis where that didn't happen, he can get cleared pretty quick.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Generally if someone gets knocked out or gets a concussion I think it's no contact for a month and then technically they can fight two weeks after that, though obviously most take much longer.

In a case like Lewis where that didn't happen, he can get cleared pretty quick.

That makes sense, I guess. Still. Hard to think that UFC has a fighter's best interest at heart throwing them into a fight so quickly after their last one.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lewis will get cleared but it's still a bad idea. Reminds me of Bisping getting quickly cleared after losing to GSP and then getting knocked silly a few weeks later on short notice. Lewis won his fight but he took a lot of big shots early on.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
That makes sense, I guess. Still. Hard to think that UFC has a fighter's best interest at heart throwing them into a fight so quickly after their last one.

Lewis will get cleared but it's still a bad idea. Reminds me of Bisping getting quickly cleared after losing to GSP and then getting knocked silly a few weeks later on short notice. Lewis won his fight but he took a lot of big shots early on.

Chris Leben fought twice within two weeks against guys he probably should have lost to and ended up winning both of them. I think Anthony Johnson did it too before he lost to Koscheck. On that note it seems like Koscheck was fighting every couple months for awhile.

I mean, I don't know.. I look at it a couple of different ways. It's like in any sport - if you're healthy, you're healthy.

If this saves them a full training camp and helps with the weight cutting process, maybe that's a good thing too.

The UFC does some dumb things, but the testing they do to make sure guys are healthy before fighting is excellent.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't quite understand Lewis getting the title shot. Isn't he just one fight removed from that borefest with Ngannu?

I also don't get why Cormier is risking it when there's a Lesnar fight presumably on the horizon

Makes me wonder if they're looking to push Lesnar vs Jones instead

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'll add another thing - just be happy that guys in the UFC are getting fully tested before these quick turnarounds and are doing it for good money. The guys you should be worried about are the ones doing it in lower organizations for peanuts without the proper testing in place.

You still lots of tournaments out there as well where guys fight multiple times in a night.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I just think it's a fight that needs to happen at some point, and who knows how long either guy sticks around for. It's a good fight when nothing else really makes for Conor, and that might be where we are right now. I guess we need to see what the Poirer injury is anyway.

Conor v Max 2 would be fun, but at what weight class? Plus Max fights in December, so we are looking at a very long wait.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Ariel says it'll be for the LHW title and DC will be stripped once this fight starts. Their first fight was great and hopefully this one delivers as well.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Ariel says it'll be for the LHW title and DC will be stripped once this fight starts. Their first fight was great and hopefully this one delivers as well.

If Jones win this and DC takes care of Lesnar in early 2019, tables are set for champ vs champ in DC's retirement fight next summer. Wonder if Cyborg v Nunes stays as co-headliner or they move that one.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Jones win this and DC takes care of Lesnar in early 2019, tables are set for champ vs champ in DC's retirement fight next summer. Wonder if Cyborg v Nunes stays as co-headliner or they move that one.

That would be massive and the perfect way for DC to go out. I want to see it at HW though.

Reactions: 1specter and m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad