MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I think I'm fine with those rankings, Chandler is ranked from his entire body of work, including Bellator. He lost to the current champ, not some scrub. Conor should drop significantly if he loses again but I have a feeling he might win that one. Islam is probably better than most of the guys in the top 10 but needs a few more fights.

These are a joke. After his last three performances, there is a better argument to not have Tony ranked than there is to have him 6th.

I think it's a respect thing, he should be 10th or lower at this point.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dariush jumping up that high is a surprise, but it also doesn't really matter. Poirier/Conor will get the next title shot. If Gaethje wins, he'd be next in line. If somebody else beats Gaethje, they'd probably leap frog Darisuh. With Dariush wanting to take some time off as well, he's going to need to pick up another win to get a title shot anyway.

Tony only dropping to #6 is the bigger head scratcher, though.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Suarez cleared for UFC return, eyes flyweight

Tati is back

She also says she could’ve returned in February but broke her hand and got a concussion “wrestling with her boyfriend in the front yard” :skeptic:
I wish she'd come back at SW. There are more fun fights at SW than FLW and I don't think her wrestling is going to be as effective against Valentina as she thinks it is. Valentina is a monster everywhere the fight goes and she's naturally the bigger girl. We just saw her toss around Andrade who tosses around every SW. Sure, maybe Suarez is a little more technical in her wrestling than Andrade, but still.

I get it, though. One win and she's almost surely fighting for the belt and she was a big SW.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Dariush jumping up that high is a surprise, but it also doesn't really matter. Poirier/Conor will get the next title shot. If Gaethje wins, he'd be next in line. If somebody else beats Gaethje, they'd probably leap frog Darisuh. With Dariush wanting to take some time off as well, he's going to need to pick up another win to get a title shot anyway.

Tony only dropping to #6 is the bigger head scratcher, though.

The fact that Connor is still in the picture is annoying as hell and ruins a lot in this division. Everyone is betting on Poirier to win that match then fight for the title but he could also lose, then what? Connor fights for the belt? Very stupid.

Beneil is on a 7 fight win streak, if he's not fighting for a belt he better be fighting for a title eliminator next regardless of opponent.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Conor is absolutely fighting for the belt if he beats Dustin, as dumb as that is

Gaethje is really the only guy that makes sense for Oliveira this summer. Conor/DP is not an option. Dariush is not an option as he’s taking time off. Chandler just lost. Then everybody else is pretty much in another tier. Gaethje and Oliveira haven’t fought. He’s basically challenger by default but I don’t hate it, he’s the man

Reactions: m9

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Conor is absolutely fighting for the belt if he beats Dustin, as dumb as that is

Gaethje is really the only guy that makes sense for Oliveira this summer. Conor/DP is not an option. Dariush is not an option as he’s taking time off. Chandler just lost. Then everybody else is pretty much in another tier. Gaethje and Oliveira haven’t fought. He’s basically challenger by default but I don’t hate it, he’s the man

That could work if Gaethje vs Oliveira happens around Aug/Sep. Winner of that fight would fight winner of McGregor/Poirier possibly early next year. Dariush wanting to fight end of this year or early of next year should be for a title eliminator regardless of opponent. But the UFC need to put an opponent that makes sense so that can be a proper title eliminator. I suppose if they want to leap jump Islam it could be him, but realistically they should force one of Hooker or Felder to face Islam first, if not then they better move him up the rankings first and make it clear that winner get's the title shot. If not that then have Chandler vs RDA happen around Aug/Sep and Dariush faces the winner for the title eliminator.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The fact that Connor is still in the picture is annoying as hell and ruins a lot in this division. Everyone is betting on Poirier to win that match then fight for the title but he could also lose, then what? Connor fights for the belt? Very stupid.

Beneil is on a 7 fight win streak, if he's not fighting for a belt he better be fighting for a title eliminator next regardless of opponent.
Yes. Biggest star ever in the sport gets a win over arguably the best guy in the division, he'd be fighting for the belt. It's not even that outrageous. They've done a lot worse.

Gaethje and Dariush are the only other names you could make a case for, but Gaethje is coming off a loss 7+ months ago. Dariush is on a 7 fight win streak, but what's his best win? I put a lot more stock into quality of wins over quantity, so star power+win over Poirier > wins over washed Tony and a bunch of unranked/top 10 gatekeeper types. Now, if he were to jump right back in there and beat Gaethje or something, then I'd be a little more outraged if they were to give the title shot to Conor. But he is (understandably) taking time off, so the machine keeps on turning.

But this is all hypothetical at the moment. Hopefully Poirier wins for may reasons, but also so we can avoid having this conversation.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

It would be great as a fan, but it ain't happening. Why would Charlie Olive risk the Conor payday when he could just wait a few months to see what happens? If Conor wins, it's like hitting the lottery. If Poirier wins, then there is no argument for Gaethje over Poirier unless Poirier wants to chase Nate or some other money fight.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Yes. Biggest star ever in the sport gets a win over arguably the best guy in the division, he'd be fighting for the belt. It's not even that outrageous. They've done a lot worse.

Gaethje and Dariush are the only other names you could make a case for, but Gaethje is coming off a loss 7+ months ago. Dariush is on a 7 fight win streak, but what's his best win? I put a lot more stock into quality of wins over quantity, so star power+win over Poirier > wins over washed Tony and a bunch of unranked/top 10 gatekeeper types. Now, if he were to jump right back in there and beat Gaethje or something, then I'd be a little more outraged if they were to give the title shot to Conor. But he is (understandably) taking time off, so the machine keeps on turning.

But this is all hypothetical at the moment. Hopefully Poirier wins for may reasons, but also so we can avoid having this conversation.

At some point you have to put the integrity of the sport in place. The UFC could have put so many other big name opponents in front of Connor that would make them more money than this fight imo. Star power and personality I get, but we're talking about a guy who only won one UFC lightweight bout in his career, let that sink in for a bit.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
At some point you have to put the integrity of the sport in place. The UFC could have put so many other big name opponents in front of Connor that would make them more money than this fight imo. Star power and personality I get, but we're talking about a guy who only won one UFC lightweight bout in his career, let that sink in for a bit.
Well, in the scenario you are proposing, he'd have 2 wins at LW. One against the champion at the time and the other against a former interim champion who is widely considered the best active LW on the planet. And his losses at LW are only to the GLWOAT and the same best active LW at the time.

I'm not saying you have to like it, but it's not the "We must protect the integrity of the sport!" hill you should want to die on. Beating Poirier would be a big deal.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Well, in the scenario you are proposing, he'd have 2 wins at LW. One against the champion at the time and the other against a former interim champion who is widely considered the best active LW on the planet. And his losses at LW are only to the GLWOAT and the same best active LW at the time.

I'm not saying you have to like it, but it's not the "We must protect the integrity of the sport!" hill you should want to die on. Beating Poirier would be a big deal.

Not saying beating Poirier is not a big deal, but that fight happened and he lost, this whole trilogy crap was not needed at this point when the division needed to get going. The UFC should have just stepped in and said to Porier to gear up and be ready for the winner of Oliveira/Chandler. Very poor matchmaking imo.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Not saying beating Poirier is not a big deal, but that fight happened and he lost, this whole trilogy crap was not needed at this point when the division needed to get going. The UFC should have just stepped in and said to Porier to gear up and be ready for the winner of Oliveira/Chandler. Very poor matchmaking imo.

Porier wanted the big money fight, I don't see an issue with it

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Porier wanted the big money fight, I don't see an issue with it

It's one thing to want a money fight and another thing to want a money fight when you're up for a title shot. I know why Dana did it, because he wants Connor to have a chance to be in a title fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If Poirier wasn't fighting Conor, then he would have been fighting for the belt against Chandler or Oliveira. Dana explicitly said they gave him the choice. I for one am glad he took the money because if there is a guy in MMA that deserves it, it is Poirier. If he chose the title shot instead, then Conor probably would have got Gaethje, Chandler/Oliveira, or maybe Tony and he would get a title shot if he won that one, too. So while the names would have been different, it wouldn't have really changed much.

Point being, to the extent that the division has been held up, it is more because of Dana's stubbornness of not accepting Khabib is retired than doing Poirier-Conor 3. Really though, I think the division has been pretty active. The only guys in the top 15 that haven't fought for a while and don't have a fight booked are Gaethje, RDA, Felder who is semi-retired, and Lee is coming off a major injury.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's one thing to want a money fight and another thing to want a money fight when you're up for a title shot. I know why Dana did it, because he wants Connor to have a chance to be in a title fight.

Seems like it was Porier's decision whether to fight for the title next or Conor. He has to look out long term for his family so I don't blame him one bit. If he's good enough he will be fighting for the title after that. One thing about Dustin and he's said it many times, he hates the fight game, training, interviews, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not around in a couple of years regardless. That's why you take the Conor fight when it's available.

I don't see a ton of separation between these guys 5 guys at the top, maybe Charles will surprise us but I think we will see the belt change hands a few times over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That could work if Gaethje vs Oliveira happens around Aug/Sep. Winner of that fight would fight winner of McGregor/Poirier possibly early next year. Dariush wanting to fight end of this year or early of next year should be for a title eliminator regardless of opponent. But the UFC need to put an opponent that makes sense so that can be a proper title eliminator. I suppose if they want to leap jump Islam it could be him, but realistically they should force one of Hooker or Felder to face Islam first, if not then they better move him up the rankings first and make it clear that winner get's the title shot. If not that then have Chandler vs RDA happen around Aug/Sep and Dariush faces the winner for the title eliminator.
Have Dariush fight the loser of Gaethje/Oliveira in this situation.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Seems like it was Porier's decision whether to fight for the title next or Conor. He has to look out long term for his family so I don't blame him one bit. If he's good enough he will be fighting for the title after that. One thing about Dustin and he's said it many times, he hates the fight game, training, interviews, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not around in a couple of years regardless. That's why you take the Conor fight when it's available.

I don't see a ton of separation between these guys 5 guys at the top, maybe Charles will surprise us but I think we will see the belt change hands a few times over the next couple of years.
I dont see a clear cut champion in 155 right now.

No one really stands out as being head and shoulders above the next like Khabib was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad