MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think Cowboy is THAT gone. 5 losses in a row sure, but he's still fighting relevant guys. I thought he beat Pettis and was at least competitive with Niko once he survived the early onslaught. Diego hasn't beat anyone relevant since when? Jim Miller 5 years ago? I don't know if Pereira would be considered relevant but considering he was getting the brakes beat off him and only won by DQ, I don't think it's worth counting.

I thought maybe they'd try to find a Brad Pickett level guy like they did for Faber's 'retirement' fight.

That's fair. But also, most of the guys Sanchez has lost to recently are pretty solid fighters too.

I also think a lower ranked guy who isn't a name isn't a great look. This fight will be on a main card, exciting, and vs a name which is kind of how I want these guys to go out. Whether they win or lose doesn't really matter, I just like these guys getting the spotlight (and not getting their head kicked off) in their last fight.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That's fair. But also, most of the guys Sanchez has lost to recently are pretty solid fighters too.

I also think a lower ranked guy who isn't a name isn't a great look. This fight will be on a main card, exciting, and vs a name which is kind of how I want these guys to go out. Whether they win or lose doesn't really matter, I just like these guys getting the spotlight (and not getting their head kicked off) in their last fight.
Diego is fighting the guy with the most head kick KO's in the UFC, so hopefully you aren't jinxing that :laugh:

I think it's an appropriate fight. I just think Cowboy should be the clear favorite. It's more fitting for Diego to go with a tough fight, though. If Cowboy loses to Diego, then it should be his last fight as well.

FWIW, Faber-Pickett was on the main card of a 4-fight big-FOX card with the likes of Mike Perry, Sage Northcutt-Mickey Gall (coming off his 'big win' vs. CM Punk), and Waterson-PVZ.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Diego is fighting the guy with the most head kick KO's in the UFC, so hopefully you aren't jinxing that :laugh:

I think it's an appropriate fight. I just think Cowboy should be the clear favorite. It's more fitting for Diego to go with a tough fight, though. If Cowboy loses to Diego, then it should be his last fight as well.

FWIW, Faber-Pickett was on the main card of a 4-fight big-FOX card with the likes of Mike Perry, Sage Northcutt-Mickey Gall (coming off his 'big win' vs. CM Punk), and Waterson-PVZ.

Yeah I agree that Cowboy should be the favorite but it's still an appropriate fight. Plus it's kind of funny that everyone laughed at Conor wanting to to fight Diego and now Diego is fighting the only guy Conor has beat in years.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I have no clue whatsoever what it could be so I’ll get super funky with it and say Brock vs Fedor

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I have no clue whatsoever what it could be so I’ll get super funky with it and say Brock vs Fedor

It could be something as simple/boring as just announcing fights/cards since nothing is official right now or maybe a much speculated move to Showtime. Something bigger and more fun would be a LHW tournament.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not a good look for Bellator when the first fight announcement of the year is done via police statement.

Reactions: CDJ

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Because he's the 185 champ and hasn't fought at 205 in nearly 7 years...

And he has been talking about moving up to 205 to go after the LHW title, and his name was in the mix for the tournament well before this announcement. I have a hard time seeing Bellator not wanting him in the tournament so I'm wondering what changed.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He has been talking about moving up to 205 to go after the LHW title, and his name was in the mix for the tournament well before this announcement. I have a hard time seeing Bellator not wanting him in the tournament so I'm wondering what changed.

He was probably fine with going up to 205 for an immediate title shot, but I can't imagine a tournament would've been appealing...

Also, it's going to take 3 fights to win the tournament, which then holds up the 185 division for at least a year if not longer...

So, it's possible he was offered a spot in the tournament if he vacated his belt, but he declined

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also announced is that Bellator will exclusively air on showtime- so that kind of sucks

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Should be some fun fights and the right side of the bracket in particular has some serious potential. I'm glad they're having two fights on each card to start and trying to get it done ASAP. I like tournaments but hate when they drag on. Coker has had some issues with that both intentionally when they spread out the fights and unintentionally when it gets delayed for one reason or another.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
He was probably fine with going up to 205 for an immediate title shot, but I can't imagine a tournament would've been appealing...

Also, it's going to take 3 fights to win the tournament, which then holds up the 185 division for at least a year if not longer...

So, it's possible he was offered a spot in the tournament if he vacated his belt, but he declined

Bader entered the HW tournament while he was still LHW champion. I don't see Bellator denying one of their marquee fighters the opportunity to become a double champ.

Edit - Turns out Mousasi felt he was "too light" to compete in the tournament and will continue fighting at MW. So his absence is of his own volition.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah I immediately thought that Mousasi would want no part of fighting big guys like Romero & Bader at this stage. Good move.

I don't really care too much about the tournament structure as these are all fights I would be interested in anyway with Romero/Rumble being the biggest one. I'm not sure I like that they matched them up that early, I want both guys to have some success in Bellator and this is a tough spot for the loser. That said, after watching some old UFCs I think I can get behind a tournament a little more and I like that they have two tournament fights per card here in back-to-back weeks so it feels like more of it's own thing. Pretty excited for it to play out with this format.

I really like Bader over Machida and potentially Anderson on the one side but I don't know anything about the other guy. I'm not sure what to expect from Rumble - tough first fight vs Romero.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah I immediately thought that Mousasi would want no part of fighting big guys like Romero & Bader at this stage. Good move.

I don't really care too much about the tournament structure as these are all fights I would be interested in anyway with Romero/Rumble being the biggest one. I'm not sure I like that they matched them up that early, I want both guys to have some success in Bellator and this is a tough spot for the loser. That said, after watching some old UFCs I think I can get behind a tournament a little more and I like that they have two tournament fights per card here in back-to-back weeks so it feels like more of it's own thing. Pretty excited for it to play out with this format.

I really like Bader over Machida and potentially Anderson on the one side but I don't know anything about the other guy. I'm not sure what to expect from Rumble - tough first fight vs Romero.
I like the tournament structure because it cuts out all the who-deserves-what BS and guys angling for the title shot or fights they think they can win or get paid more for like we are seeing in the UFC LW division now. It's simple. You signed up for the tournament. You fight the guy in your bracket. If not, you're out.

I agree, though. The format is important and Bellator has kind of dragged previous ones out too long. Getting 4 fights done in 2 weeks is great. Put the semi-finals on the same card in about 2-3 months. Have the final 2-3 months after that. Champ should be crowned by the end of the year despite getting a late start.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad