MLS Thread: 2020 Edition

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I don't know their cap situation or the DP rules go as far as being able to put Josef on "IR" or whatever (I should know this as an MLS fan since 2010 lol)...but why doesn't Atlanta make Daniel Sturridge a short term offer at big money / lots of incentives?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know their cap situation or the DP rules go as far as being able to put Josef on "IR" or whatever (I should know this as an MLS fan since 2010 lol)...but why doesn't Atlanta make Daniel Sturridge a short term offer at big money / lots of incentives?
Rules aside, probably because the teams don't really care about this tournament to the extent of spending giant money on a player.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Atlanta's problems are deeper than just De Boer. Obviously losing Josef is going to hurt any team, but they also lost some serious complimentary players and didn't replace them. And then you add in the under performing Barco and Pity and this is the result that you get.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
De Boer's philosophy never matched the way the roster was constructed, but the sheer talent covered up for it last year. This year they have no Josef, no Nagbe, no Tito, no Gressel, no Parkhurst, and no Gonzalez-Pirez. Pity and Barco have shown flashes of greatness but never for long. With one DP out and the other two underperforming, any manager would struggle.

The hope is that someone who fits the mold of the team better can get more out of Pity and Barco and all the dudes they have brought in can start to gel together a bit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
De Boer's philosophy never matched the way the roster was constructed, but the sheer talent covered up for it last year. This year they have no Josef, no Nagbe, no Tito, no Gressel, no Parkhurst, and no Gonzalez-Pirez. Pity and Barco have shown flashes of greatness but never for long. With one DP out and the other two underperforming, any manager would struggle.

The hope is that someone who fits the mold of the team better can get more out of Pity and Barco and all the dudes they have brought in can start to gel together a bit.
Thanks for that, by the way. Wonderful to have him back playing for an Ohio team. He's working out great. :thumbu:

(Sorry, I need to get my digs in now when I can. The number of injuries to key players we're racking up is giving me start-of-2019 flashbacks.)

(Also, LAFC versus Seattle? Ugh ugh ugh. Can I, like, root for a sinkhole to swallow both teams or something?)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
NYC FC played well and deserved their win. The Whitecaps bench made me laugh out loud,,,Gorilla glue and duct tape to get a team on the field. They need to make this an ugly affair.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Shout out to the Whitecaps for an outstanding effort. Worked their socks off with the same players for the bulk of the tourney. Almost won it last night.

Reactions: robertmac43

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not sure whether LAFC is dominating Seattle or Seattle is just mailing it in or both. LAFC is dominating every aspect of this game and Seattle looks lost.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm not sure whether LAFC is dominating Seattle or Seattle is just mailing it in or both. LAFC is dominating every aspect of this game and Seattle looks lost.
Missing Joao Paulo and Yeimar along with Jones and Arreaga not being at full health as well as Nouhou, Arreaga, and O’Neill being dumb as rocks this game.

Reactions: kingsboy11

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Nice VAR work, especially given I watch far more EPL cluster

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Orlando deserved to win. I never really thought LAFC was really dominating as much as everyone said they were. They scored a lot of goals, but gave up a bunch and drew 2 of their games in the group stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad