MLS Thread: 2020 Edition

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
its BORING and if they think people will respect MLS because of team names then they are f***ing DUMB.

What is the purpose of being ridiculously genetic?
I think people will watch the team just because they’re new. From there it’s all about what you put out on that field.

Better to have a generic name than get in the mess the Redskins are in. Obviously extreme case.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I think people will watch the team just because they’re new. From there it’s all about what you put out on that field.

Better to have a generic name than get in the mess the Redskins are in. Obviously extreme case.
It’s not hard to not be offensive to Native Americans and still not generic. It’s not either or here.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I personally have no problem with FC names, but I think this was a missed opportunity for Charlotte like Charlotte Town or something like that. I really like the logo though.

Reactions: Terry Yake

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
As I stated in the post, obviously an extreme case. But again, people don’t come to teams because of the name.
Oh yea I get that. I just personally have absolute disdain for MLS teams to adopt such generic names.

And plus they have a USL side with a kick ass name. And its gonna die because of some generic, cheap ass European knok off. Ugh.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the euro inspired names are stupid. give me the old school MLS names any day over that trash. the worst offender is SKC. a "sporting club" is supposed to be a club for multiple sports, not just one.

charlotte fc is as boring as it gets but at least the logo is cool

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
the euro inspired names are stupid. give me the old school MLS names any day over that trash. the worst offender is SKC. a "sporting club" is supposed to be a club for multiple sports, not just one.

charlotte fc is as boring as it gets but at least the logo is cool
Real Salt Lake also bad.

But at least neither of them are a generic as "Insert city here" FC so I give them a pass, more or less.

Reactions: Viqsi

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
nothing is worse than this. i know they're affiliated with atletico madrid but still

atletico-ottawa.jpg

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fans over here have a weird obsession of wanting MLS clubs to have more traditional football names, but then criticizing them when it doesn't culturally fit.

At least some of the new clubs have nicknames that are somewhat used, Loons for Minnesota, Lions for Orlando. That's the thing that most miss, a lot of the clubs around the world have a nickname aside from FC or United that they are referred to. Hammers, Foxes, Red Devils, etc.

Take Sporting KC for example, while the fans will still refer to them as the Wiz in chants and other things, that should really be their common name, even if it's not the official name.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:dunno: I'm also annoyed with "<city name> FC" team names, but less because of the copycat nature and more because it feels just so g-ddamn lazy. Like "we don't want to actually bother with market research so we'll take the copout option".

I give a pass to Nashville, since they went with SC instead of FC, which at least reflects some attempt at original thought (if only minimal).

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
:dunno: I'm also annoyed with "<city name> FC" team names, but less because of the copycat nature and more because it feels just so g-ddamn lazy. Like "we don't want to actually bother with market research so we'll take the copout option".

I give a pass to Nashville, since they went with SC instead of FC, which at least reflects some attempt at original thought (if only minimal).
f*** SC too. Hence mI also want Nashville to be terrible forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad