MLS Thread: 2020 Edition

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
When you look at the recent additions to the league, there hasn't been an "original", not FC/SC, United or Inter, since the Montreal Impact in 2012. NYCFC, Orlando, Atlanta, Minnesota, LA, Cincinnati, Miami, Nashville, Austin, Charlotte are all going with traditional names. Even with the Sacramento Republic as an original name they're still technically Sacramento Republic FC. And now Chicago Fire rebranded as Chicago Fire FC. I don't mind it, but with the fact that their hasn't been an original name in almost 8 years is kind of sad.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't think that Atlanta game was a fluke, FC Cincinnati looks much better defensively under Stam.

When you look at the recent additions to the league, there hasn't been an "original", not FC/SC, United or Inter, since the Montreal Impact in 2012. NYCFC, Orlando, Atlanta, Minnesota, LA, Cincinnati, Miami, Nashville, Austin, Charlotte are all going with traditional names. Even with the Sacramento Republic as an original name they're still technically Sacramento Republic FC. And now Chicago Fire rebranded as Chicago Fire FC. I don't mind it, but with the fact that their hasn't been an original name in almost 8 years is kind of sad.

I got no beef with Fire FC and Republic FC, they are original names. But I agree. We will see how St.Louis does it, but I have no expectations other than another f***ing United or City FC.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Maybe St. Louis does something sort of creative and do Gateway FC/SC/United/etc. What I really want is pick whatever bland name you want, but push a city specific nickname to be referred to as. Some have a nickname, but it's was never pushed, so most people never use it. Hopefully St. Louis has something like that related to their history and that's what we just call them.

That's expecting too much though. They want to be viewed as a normal league, so it'll be boring names.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
One thing about Stam is that he's not going to pretend his team has the ability to play out from the back. He sends his backline well up the field and lets Tyton blast it. I still think they will have games they get mowed over but at least they know what they are.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Maybe St. Louis does something sort of creative and do Gateway FC/SC/United/etc. What I really want is pick whatever bland name you want, but push a city specific nickname to be referred to as. Some have a nickname, but it's was never pushed, so most people never use it. Hopefully St. Louis has something like that related to their history and that's what we just call them.

That's expecting too much though. They want to be viewed as a normal league, so it'll be boring names.
Spirit of St.Louis FC

Might be too long though.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
I have no issue with SC I hate FC teams in NA. Its called soccer here. Whether you agree with that or not. My local but 70 year old club in Canada did a re-branding where they got rid of the SC for FC ton sound more "authentic"

Reactions: Viqsi

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
One thing about Stam is that he's not going to pretend his team has the ability to play out from the back. He sends his backline well up the field and lets Tyton blast it. I still think they will have games they get mowed over but at least they know what they are.

Agreed - he plays exactly how he needs to right now, especially without Locadia.

With that said, it is becoming harder and harder to get excited about the Red Bulls. What a fall from grace. That team needs a bonafide striker more than anyone else.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Agreed - he plays exactly how he needs to right now, especially without Locadia.

With that said, it is becoming harder and harder to get excited about the Red Bulls. What a fall from grace. That team needs a bonafide striker more than anyone else.
Agreed. Nothing exciting at all about the bulls.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I have no issue with SC I hate FC teams in NA. Its called soccer here. Whether you agree with that or not. My local but 70 year old club in Canada did a re-branding where they got rid of the SC for FC ton sound more "authentic"
I don't mind when they start out as FC, but re-branding from SC to FC is just silly.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the FC/SC/United thing in MLS got old quick. it wouldn't be that bad if only a handful of teams went with that type of name, but literally every new team is now _______FC/SC/United and even a few others have rebranded to include that

it's cringey as hell

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Pretty excited for both games tonight - should be entertaining, partticularly LAFC / Portland. If LAFC wins and takes 1st in the group, they'll play Cincy. Might be another 6-2 game there (if Locadia plays for Cincy).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I hope Locadia can bag some goals at a somewhat consistent rate! He had so much promise when he came to Brighton but just could not keep up on a weekly basis.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Jesus Christ we suck

I'm about at my limit with this team. I'm about ready to fire everybody into the sun except Pavon. The worst part is we don't even have Pavon permanently. He's on loan for us and I can't see any reason why he would he stay with us in this shit show.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Jesus Christ we suck

I'm about at my limit with this team. I'm about ready to fire everybody into the sun except Pavon. The worst part is we don't even have Pavon permanently. He's on loan for us and I can't see any reason why he would he stay with us in this shit show.

I think we are at similar boiling points with our respective teams. At least you guys have Pavon who is fun to watch (and obv I'd still take this version of Cheech over the current crop of RBNY strikers).

I hope Locadia can bag some goals at a somewhat consistent rate! He had so much promise when he came to Brighton but just could not keep up on a weekly basis.

I think he'll be a handful for most teams. He looked dangerous in the half hour or so that he was on the pitch at Red Bull Arena. Made me jealous for sure.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Jesus Christ we suck

how the **** did zlatan not win MVP last season after carrying this group of losers into the playoffs and actually managing to win a playoff game? mindblowing

chris klein and GBS need to go. maybe this disaster of a tournament will finally be what wakes the FO up and makes them start focusing on defense

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
This team was already packed to go back to LA. Not sure what the hell was happening that last 5 minutes

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Somehow the Whitecaps with their 3rd string novice keeper and a host of missing players....are in the round of 16 against Sporting KC.

Great to see Cornelius get in and the team got a clean sheet.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lol galaxy had a 3 on 1 and a chance to finally win a game and couldn't finish

that basically sums up the state of the franchise

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think he'll be a handful for most teams. He looked dangerous in the half hour or so that he was on the pitch at Red Bull Arena. Made me jealous for sure.

He's a decent striker and has shown it at various places in his career. The issue being he checks out quickly when things go poorly for his team, especially when he is getting a lack of services. There is a little bit of an attitude problem there as well; Locadia had a couple negative run ins with Hughton over his time at Brighton.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Jesus Christ we suck

The current Galaxy sign a ton of players with absolutely no idea how they’ll fit. Chicharito is not good.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
He's a decent striker and has shown it at various places in his career. The issue being he checks out quickly when things go poorly for his team, especially when he is getting a lack of services. There is a little bit of an attitude problem there as well; Locadia had a couple negative run ins with Hughton over his time at Brighton.

Yea I hear that - there’s definitely some concern with that in Cincy if they’re really struggling. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back to his PSV scoring rate.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad