MLS Thread: 2019 Edition

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
NYRB are not contenders for real trophies anyway but Atlanta being hammered is another thing. Excuses are for losers. If the games would be in the fall you would still whine. The problem is the USA isn't producing enough quality players to fill MLS rosters.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's just not that meaningful of a trophy. I bet fans of Liga MX clubs would prefer to win their league as would MLS fans would prefer to win the MLS Cup. It'd be really cool for SKC to win it this year, but I'd rather win the MLS Cup. It's not like Europe where the fans of the big clubs prefer to win Champions League.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Another excuse! You mean beating Mexican teams and showing MLS is really now the best league in North America isn't important!

Did Atlanta played their best roster? Yes, most teams play their best 11 so another failed excuse.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's really not an excuse, I just genuinely don't care about the trophy. I don't think any of us care if we are the best league in NA, it's not like it really means much in the grand scheme of things. Neither of our leagues will be the ultimate destination for anyone.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You can be sure the directors of MLS care and as long as MLS can't even be the best league in North America A LOT of people will keep on not watching it. The league has seen a good increase in attendance in some markets but TV numbers are a disaster. Casual fans in USA don't really watch 3rd rate league of soccer...

And kudos for www.mlssoccer.com for covering it.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
MLS now from early March to early November is the best schedule possible. Teams are still not good enough all around, think about the excuses you would hear if the games would be in the fall. Teams are tired they are focusing on the end of season and playoffs etc. The real problem is to many weak players on the 11 of even the best MLS teams. The lack of quality homegrown US players is the problem at the moment.
You are aware that there's this thing called a salary cap right? You aren't going to be able to assemble a roster full of international superstars for a total of like $3 million. There are plenty of quality American players, they just all head to Europe where they can get paid much more. And if LigaMX had a similar wage cap their advantage would vanish instantly.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Not enough young quality American Players. Just look at the starting 11 for most MLS teams. If you had a better group of young Americans the salary cap wouldn't hurt as much, and let's be honest the salary cap is a joke if you don't count the big stars.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
There is no incentive for young American players to stay in MLS nor is their any incentive for MLS coaches to play young Americans. European teams are starting to poach our young Americans because they aren't getting enough time and the clubs don't get any compensation for it. The Galaxy lost 2 young Americans for free in Mendez and Llanez because the Galaxy couldn't/wouldn't play them. Tim Weah and Weston McKennie were in NYRB and FC Dallas youth systems and went to Europe. Chris Richards, Taylor Booth leaving for Bayern. Josh Sargent is another. I think Andrew Carleton will be the next victim in Atlanta. But if Alphonso Davies and Tyler Adams are any indication, there is potential to profit off their play in MLS. The problem is that only NYRB and FC Dallas are the only clubs that are willing to play young Americans.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There is no incentive for young American players to stay in MLS nor is their any incentive for MLS coaches to play young Americans. European teams are starting to poach our young Americans because they aren't getting enough time and the clubs don't get any compensation for it. The Galaxy lost 2 young Americans for free in Mendez and Llanez because the Galaxy couldn't/wouldn't play them. Tim Weah and Weston McKennie were in NYRB and FC Dallas youth systems and went to Europe. Chris Richards, Taylor Booth leaving for Bayern. Josh Sargent is another. I think Andrew Carleton will be the next victim in Atlanta. But if Alphonso Davies and Tyler Adams are any indication, there is potential to profit off their play in MLS. The problem is that only NYRB and FC Dallas are the only clubs that are willing to play young Americans.

Do you think it'll change with the draft being devalued now? I've watched MLS but never paid close attention till Orlando got a team. From what I used to remember the only way to get young players was through the draft and there wasn't a lot of homegrown players, most kids played club or high school then went to college and then drafted. It seems that in recent years clubs have started youth programs and that's where some of these names have come from. Orlando has a development program but they haven't brought anyone good in from there and have done all their work in the draft or signings. If they actually start producing young players that are good enough I don't see why they wouldn't play them.

So if kids can get to the MLS without having to go the traditional college route then I think you might see more young Americans in the league. I don't know how other teams do it but Orlando doesn't seem to have a huge presence here with youth leagues, plus the state is more a football and baseball state so I don't see them producing a ton of top talent anyway.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Do you think it'll change with the draft being devalued now? I've watched MLS but never paid close attention till Orlando got a team. From what I used to remember the only way to get young players was through the draft and there wasn't a lot of homegrown players, most kids played club or high school then went to college and then drafted. It seems that in recent years clubs have started youth programs and that's where some of these names have come from. Orlando has a development program but they haven't brought anyone good in from there and have done all their work in the draft or signings. If they actually start producing young players that are good enough I don't see why they wouldn't play them.

So if kids can get to the MLS without having to go the traditional college route then I think you might see more young Americans in the league. I don't know how other teams do it but Orlando doesn't seem to have a huge presence here with youth leagues, plus the state is more a football and baseball state so I don't see them producing a ton of top talent anyway.

I certainly dont see a solution anytime soon. It's a multi level problem. Because the youth academies have come a long ways, but you'll see that most MLS teams don't have a path to the first team except NYRB and FC Dallas. Then you'll have teams like the Galaxy and Seattle who have successful youth teams, but never make it past the 2nd team. And then you have teams like Orlando and Portland who probably couldnt give 2 ****s about their academy. And I think there's more teams like Portland and Orlando than Seattle and the Galaxy unfortunately.

I do think the college route still has a role to play, but they don't play a lot of games and their rules are different. I think our country just has a deep history of college->draft->pros that it won't go away.

The overall problem is that I dont think youth development is a high priority for Garber right now even though the Adams and Davies deal should be evident of the direction of where this league should be heading.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's just not that meaningful of a trophy. I bet fans of Liga MX clubs would prefer to win their league as would MLS fans would prefer to win the MLS Cup. It'd be really cool for SKC to win it this year, but I'd rather win the MLS Cup. It's not like Europe where the fans of the big clubs prefer to win Champions League.
As TFC fan, I would prefer the Champions League after having witnessed own team win MLS Cup already.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its getting better, but its a long way off. Youth development in the USA is 20 years behind what it is in South America and most of the better footballing nations in Europe.

The biggest problem is that players aren't allowed to develop in one academy, and then sign with the first team at another club. A lot of players get unlucky by their geographical location. It leads to some of them deciding that they are going to forego MLS and head to Europe, while others rot for years. Its not a market system. If it was, teams that used these players in their first team would compile the best talent and teams that didn't wouldn't compile the best talent.

Some players and teams are trying to test MLS on this, and break the rules. MLS sets a lot of rules, but they almost never enforce their rules. There's definitely a loophole there that is starting to be used, but this shouldn't have to be done in that type of way and its not being done on a large scale year. If a player comes up in the academy of LA Galaxy, Atlanta United, New York City FC, Seattle Sounders, and they don't think they are going to be able to get a fair shot in their club's first team, they should be allowed to hear the recruiting pitches from FC Dallas, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union, Real Salt Lake.

The league also doesn't care about youth development. They see their main selling point as the infusion of mid 20's transfers into MLS. Tyler Adams or Alphonso Davies are way down their discussion points list. The improvements are coming from the fact that certain clubs that don't have unlimited funds realize that developing and then selling youth players is a profitable business. There's also an internal culture within these clubs that youth development is a much talked about thing within the country. Most teams don't want to be seen as falling behind in a key discussion point, regardless of whether they plan to ever use those players in their first team. The same happens in Europe. Bayern or Barcelona never use their academy players, but they compile youth talents for prestige.

At the same time, teams are starting to dislike how players they've developed in their academies are going to Europe for free. The ramifications from that are teams signing players at a much younger age. Chicago Fire signed a 14 year old yesterday because they were going to get nothing for him when he moves to Europe in two years. FC Dallas went on a signing spree a few years ago of their academy players when McKennie left for nothing to Schalke. Its a complicated issue though because some of these players would not have the same level of foreign interest, if they weren't free.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hot take:

If Seattle stays healthy this year, they win the cup. Obviously still early but they have one of the best attacking lineups with Ruidiaz, Lodeiro, VRod, and Morris showing great form. Also Roldan, Smith, and Leerdam add to that attack even more. The problem comes when Ruidiaz, VRod, and Morris get hurt though.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
How about those NYRB!!! Great effort but then 4 goals in 9 minutes AHAHAHAHAH This team just can't win when it counts!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Ronaldo do so. I think it’s more likely Messi either retires or plays in Argentina.
Out of the three listed I agree that Ronaldo would be most likely. I’d still be very surprised. I mean the guy is 34 and still playing at a top level. Unless he comes to Miami, I don’t see it at all. Then again I didn’t really expect the likes of Vela, Nani, Lodeiro, Ruidiaz, Fabian, etc. coming over.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00