PHI
CLB
TOR
CHI
ORL
NER
CIN
MTL

Cin is really going to struggle to score, they have a decent D with plenty of MLS vets. Their offense on the other hand is atrocious and will lead to them probably being the most boring team in the league to watch.

Reactions: Gecklund

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
Predictions for the year....

West
SEA
SKC
LAFC
POR
LAG
MIN
RSL
FCD
HOU
COL
VAN
SJE

Quintero MVP

East
ATL
RBNY
DC
NYFC
PHI
CLB
TOR
CHI
ORL
NER
CIN
MTL

Cin is really going to struggle to score, they have a decent D with plenty of MLS vets. Their offense on the other hand is atrocious and will lead to them probably being the most boring team in the league to watch.

MTL Last in the east??? he he....

Tylers Dad

Registered Dad
Sep 12, 2013
Azeroth
Predictions for the year....

West
SEA
SKC
LAFC
POR
LAG
MIN
RSL
FCD
HOU
COL
VAN
SJE

Quintero MVP

East
ATL
RBNY
DC
NYFC
PHI
CLB
TOR
CHI
ORL
NER
CIN
MTL

Montreal will definitely not finish in last place, that's just absurd

Reactions: JunglePete

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I don't really know what MLS can do to make up for the obvious disadvantage of being in preseason while Liga MX is practically in midseason during the knockouts. Starting the season earlier is flat out unrealistic.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Stop excuses... If it was in the fall we would still hear excuses. We are talking about hammerings, not even close games.
Russian Ukrainian teams have won Uefa-Europa cups in the last 15 years while having to play the early knockouts rounds after 2+months of break...
Krasnodar just beat Bayer Leverkusen after having not played a real match in 2 and half months.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Stop excuses... If it was in the fall we would still hear excuses. We are talking about hammerings, not even close games.
Russian Ukrainian teams have won Uefa-Europa cups in the last 15 years while having to play the early knockouts rounds after 2+months of break...
Krasnodar just beat Bayer Leverkusen after having not played a real match in 2 and half months.
It’s not an excuse. It’s a fact....

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't really know what MLS can do to make up for the obvious disadvantage of being in preseason while Liga MX is practically in midseason during the knockouts. Starting the season earlier is flat out unrealistic.
It's really not that unrealistic. Start earlier and end earlier. The first season would be rough, but it would be fine after that.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's really not that unrealistic. Start earlier and end earlier. The first season would be rough, but it would be fine after that.
I think it’s unrealistic because playing Colorado or Minnesota in the winter sounds awful. I mean it was already snowing in March. Imagine it in January, February.

Reactions: sabremike

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I think it’s unrealistic because playing Colorado or Minnesota in the winter sounds awful. I mean it was already snowing in March. Imagine it in January, February.
Russian-Ukrainian teams can beat Western European teams in february-march in the exact same situation, the real reason MLS teams can't is that they are not good enough. Stop making silly excuses, you look like Evilo-PSG.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Russian-Ukrainian teams can beat Western European teams in february-march in the exact same situation, the real reason MLS teams can't is that they are not good enough. Stop making silly excuses, you look like Evilo-PSG.
It also doesn’t help with the salary cap... and at this point I’m not even talking about playing in the CL. It’s entirely about the league. Minnesota and Colorado aren’t going to the CL anytime soon.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It also doesn’t help with the salary cap... and at this point I’m not even talking about playing in the CL. It’s entirely about the league. Minnesota and Colorado aren’t going to the CL anytime soon.
How about Atlanta? Are they not suppose to be good enough to at least compete?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

The playoffs/Finals already go into December. With the schedule there is no way around playing in very cold weather. The playoff games in KC were pretty darn cold, especially with the sun down.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The playoffs/Finals already go into December. With the schedule there is no way around playing in very cold weather. The playoff games in KC were pretty darn cold, especially with the sun down.
With the new playoff format, the finals are early/mid November I believe. The other option would be to not allow players in the CL to go to the USMNT Jan camps and start training camps early.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
MLS now from early March to early November is the best schedule possible. Teams are still not good enough all around, think about the excuses you would hear if the games would be in the fall. Teams are tired they are focusing on the end of season and playoffs etc. The real problem is to many weak players on the 11 of even the best MLS teams. The lack of quality homegrown US players is the problem at the moment.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
The timing of the knockouts being a disadvantage is most certainly a valid point as is the fact that MLS squads have zero depth compared to Liga MX teams. Those are not mutually exclusive points. You are just trying to beat a dead horse and hammer home the narrative that MLS is not on Liga MX's level (which everyone still acknowledges).

For example, NYRB drubbed Tijuana last year and thoroughly outplayed Chivas the next round. They outshot them 20-1 in the home leg and lost 1-0 on aggregate. NYRB did not start their prized signing of the offseason, Kaku, since he was still being integrated into the team. Kaku went on to tear apart MLS for the first half of the season. Is it too far-fetched to think that Kaku would probably have started the Chivas 2nd leg if the team wasn't essentially in preseason? Things like this do actually matter, but I doubt that a negative nancy like yourself will acknowledge that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad