OT: MLB Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
ok, that makes me feel better. Thought they lose the guy and the pick.
What's interesting is that Rocker opted not to participate in the MLB-sponsored program that makes medical evaluations and MRIs and things like that available to teams pre-draft. Had he done that, the team that drafted him would have been required to make an offer of at least 40% of his slot. Since they didn't, the Mets didn't even have to make an offer, which was apparently the case after they drafted him and then reviewed his records.

The implication is that Rocker and his team likely feared that had they made his records available before the draft, he would have tumbled far further than he did--despite Boras and "independent doctors" saying things were fine.

It's a frustrating situation, but I can only imagine the shit the Mets would have gotten had they signed him and he been injured--particularly if they were aware of the injuries. I think it will work out next year with two picks and a large bonus pool. Time will tell how it goes with Rocker.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I thought about this while wife and I were out for dinner and I want someone fired over this Rocker situation. Not for drafting him. But for not having any f***ing clue to have some sort of contingency plan in rounds 11-20. Amateur hour horseshit.

Reactions: mas0764

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
What's interesting is that Rocker opted not to participate in the MLB-sponsored program that makes medical evaluations and MRIs and things like that available to teams pre-draft. Had he done that, the team that drafted him would have been required to make an offer of at least 40% of his slot. Since they didn't, the Mets didn't even have to make an offer, which was apparently the case after they drafted him and then reviewed his records.

The implication is that Rocker and his team likely feared that had they made his records available before the draft, he would have tumbled far further than he did--despite Boras and "independent doctors" saying things were fine.

It's a frustrating situation, but I can only imagine the shit the Mets would have gotten had they signed him and he been injured--particularly if they were aware of the injuries. I think it will work out next year with two picks and a large bonus pool. Time will tell how it goes with Rocker.
100%. I am totally fine with not signing him if that's the case. Zero issue with it.

I have a massive problem with punting on an entire draft, though. Which is precisely what this shit-level draft was. A punt.

Reactions: nyr2k2

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

how ironic, the Mets didn’t have access to any medical record so walked away while still some Rangers fans want $10 million dollar Eichel with no access to medical records.

Deleted member 23124

The bolded section alone should set off alarm bells!!!!

Reactions: bleedblue94

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I thought about this while wife and I were out for dinner and I want someone fired over this Rocker situation. Not for drafting him. But for not having any f***ing clue to have some sort of contingency plan in rounds 11-20. Amateur hour horseshit.

Ok so why didn't you mention this the day of the draft if it was that big of a concern? Also it was harder to take fliers on players this year with only 20 rounds instead of 40.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Ok so why didn't you mention this the day of the draft if it was that big of a concern? Also it was harder to take fliers on players this year with only 20 rounds instead of 40.
I have no horse in this race, but just because fans didn’t mention it and were simply excited to pick a potential future star, doesn’t mean the high paid professionals should not have considered it.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

I mean there was clearly concerns about his elbow within the industry. There’s a reason he fell. I would assume the an MLB team would have access to better medical info, and if not in the case of a player refusing to release Medicals, would have a contingency plan in the case that the guy who was dropping down draft boards cause of arm issues had significant arm issues.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

I was unaware it was my job to review each and every pick in the draft when we have professionals who are supposed to be doing that.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hard to blame the Mets here when Rocker/Boras should have 10000000% presented his medical information pre-draft. IDGAF if you think it hurts your chances of being drafted higher. If you don't submit your medical records pre-draft, it's immediately sketchy.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Some injury scares early with Baez and Megill lol

Also Kevin Pillar has been really f***ing bad for awhile now and he's batting leadoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad