OT: MLB Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Clutch situations happen all throughout the game, though. It's great that they have that "magic" and all, but they have those come from behind wins because they suck ass for 8 innings. If their situational hitting for the bulk of the game was even respectable, they'd be completely running away with the division. Instead they rely on guys leaning into HBPs and walk-off fielders choices and all that. Like all those come from behind wins can only happen because they're so often behind LOL. And if they weren't a top-five pitching team it would be ugly.

I'm with you--I watch to the end because this group does have a flair for the dramatic. I wouldn't characterize them as clutch, though. Not generally speaking.
85% of the season we’ve had a AAA starting roster. It’s certainly different to score on MLB pitching when that’s the case. The fact that they manage to have a 4 game lead with like 20 double headers in like a month shows the type of perseverance you want in a team, and like I said, with them being all injured. Now with Cookie and Baez, they can help until Lindor and deGrom get healthy. Pulling together 20 wins is certainly clutch otherwise if they just had 10 come back wins we’d be fourth in the division. That’s pretty clutch to me. And despite the last few games since the ASB the offense has improved with the Mets getting healthy.

If the Mets are healthy there certainly a contender…

Nimmo
Lindor
Alonso
Baez
McNeil/Davis
Smith/Davis
Conforto
McCann

Davis/Villar/Pillar/Drury/Luis/Nido

deGrom
Stroman
Walker
Carascco
Megill

Hill/Noah?
May
Familia
Lugo
Smith
Castro
Loup
Y. Diaz
E. Diaz

No one in the pen has an era over 3.50 asides from Diaz who is 3.80 because he’s brutal in non-save situations.

Elite defense, elite pen, elite bench,
can be elite rotation when healthy, and can be elite offense as well when healthy. And the clubhouse chemistry is top tier. With Lindor and Baez itll he electric. This team is World Series bound if they can get deGrom together.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
85% of the season we’ve had a AAA starting roster. It’s certainly different to score on MLB pitching when that’s the case. The fact that they manage to have a 4 game lead with like 20 double headers in like a month shows the type of perseverance you want in a team, and like I said, with them being all injured. Now with Cookie and Baez, they can help until Lindor and deGrom get healthy. Pulling together 20 wins is certainly clutch otherwise if they just had 10 come back wins we’d be fourth in the division. That’s pretty clutch to me. And despite the last few games since the ASB the offense has improved with the Mets getting healthy.

If the Mets are healthy there certainly a contender…

Nimmo
Lindor
Alonso
Baez
McNeil/Davis
Smith/Davis
Conforto
McCann

Davis/Villar/Pillar/Drury/Luis/Nido

deGrom
Stroman
Walker
Carascco
Megill

Hill/Noah?
May
Familia
Lugo
Smith
Castro
Loup
Y. Diaz
E. Diaz

No one in the pen has an era over 3.50 asides from Diaz who is 3.80 because he’s brutal in non-save situations.

Elite defense, elite pen, elite bench,
can be elite rotation when healthy, and can be elite offense as well when healthy. And the clubhouse chemistry is top tier. With Lindor and Baez itll he electric. This team is World Series bound if they can get deGrom together.
That's a whole lot of "ifs" there. Particularly given there's no reason to believe that anyone will continue to stay healthy, that guys like Dom Smith, Conforto, and McCann will suddenly start hitting, etc. That Lindor will come back 100% and be a difference-maker.

As far as the clutch thing, again, good on them for coming back late, but it's a direct function of a pitching staff that miraculously keeps them in games and luck. They're 23-16 in one run games which of course is the difference in them being .500 and seven games over where they are. They have the third-highest Pythagorean luck score as a result. They've had some good luck. If you played multiple seasons like this you wouldn't end up with 20 comebacks, you'd end up with a .500 team. If you can't hit in the first several innings, you generally can't hit in the last few innings. You can only live off of that for so long. Eventually you regress--either you do better throughout the game and continue doing well late or the dramatic stuff at the end dries up. The Bench Mob thing was fun but not sustainable. Those guys are bench and AAAA players for a reason.

Look, they've been CRUSHED by injuries this year. I get it. That they are where they are is amazing, but it's really due to pitching and some good fortune offsetting the terrible situational hitting. On paper they look really good, but as we've seen that counts for nothing. And with the NL West teams as strong as they are, a team like Milwaukee, and even the teams within our own division that added, I think it's quite a jump to say we're WS-bound, even if healthy. But, I do appreciate your optimism.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well that's a bummer as his selection affected the rest of their draft, but I guess they were really scared off by his elbow. Having that pick next year will help, but still. Kind of disappointing.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Well that's a bummer as his selection affected the rest of their draft, but I guess they were really scared off by his elbow. Having that pick next year will help, but still. Kind of disappointing.

It's a f***ing disaster with the rest of the draft being zero over-slot guys, frankly. They should have had some contingencies in later rounds that we could've dedicated that money to.

f*** me. This is brutal. I am all for not signing him if the medicals are bad, but we should've had at least a player or two we could've given that money to.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's a f***ing disaster with the rest of the draft being zero over-slot guys, frankly. They should have had some contingencies in later rounds that we could've dedicated that money to.

f*** me. This is brutal. I am all for not signing him if the medicals are bad, but we should've had at least a player or two we could've given that money to.
I'm with you that they probably should have had a contingency plan.

Still, having a pair of picks in round one next year gives you a lot of flexibility to get creative with how you use your bonus pool. Situations like this have worked out for teams in the past. I think the part that sucks the worst is that Rocker had that superstar-type vibe to him and while I'm sure we'll get good players next year, it's unlikely anyone will have that same pure upside. Although, you never know how the board will unfold.

Anyway, it's a bummer but one they can hopefully turn into a net positive.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Mets have no prospect depth. We have gamed the draft to get some high end talent but then we are too top heavy because we the rest of our draft picks are under slot. Now we just wiped out our last 2 first round picks. The Dodgers we are not. Mets front office has been volatile these last few years.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
Mets really need to reconfigure their lineup next season. Their hitting is brutal.

Also, send the hitting coaches where they sent Chili Davis.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Yanks pitching has been awesome, would be nice to just win a blowout one of these days

Just keep stacking series wins.

Tony Rizzo!

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The contingency plan is such revisionist history. Nobody even mentioned it at all until a few days ago when it came out they might not sign him. If it was that important you'd think people should mention it on draft day and slightly thereafter but nope they only come out after the fact saying how they did it wrong. Does it seem like a wise thing to do going forward? Absolutely. But I really don't think this is a big deal. Classic case of people using hindsight.

Reactions: sbjnyc

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The contingency plan is such revisionist history. Nobody even mentioned it at all until a few days ago when it came out they might not sign him. If it was that important you'd think people should mention it on draft day and slightly thereafter but nope they only come out after the fact saying how they did it wrong. Does it seem like a wise thing to do going forward? Absolutely. But I really don't think this is a big deal. Classic case of people using hindsight.
Yeah, I have no doubt that the Mets were basically 100% certain they were going to sign him when they made the pick. It's why the bonus figured leaked so soon after. I think only if it emerged that they had real concerns about his arm and considered it a decent possibility that they wouldn't sign him would it have been logical to then say, "Well if you were worried, why didn't you do X?"

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Sucks but it is what it is I guess.

Mets opt not to sign No. 10 pick Rocker

It turned out to be a complicated situation, from which the Mets extricated themselves prior to Sunday’s 5 p.m. deadline. Simply put, team officials believed Rocker’s injury issues were serious enough to value a future pick more than him -- this was not simply a matter of a player needing Tommy John surgery, like Mets second-rounder J.T. Ginn did in 2020. (The Mets selected Ginn despite that injury, and he is now their fifth-ranked prospect.)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Not sure if this was unavoidable at all, but overall, i think the Mets need a seasoned GM. Nothing against Scott but he was thrown into the fire. There’s been a lot of amateur hour shit this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad