OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That Mets - Phillies game was ridiculous, huge win for the Mets, but Diaz is still terrible. Alonso, Mcneil and Conforto all starting to hit.

Yup...now all we need is the 340 million dollar man to start hitting the damn ball and maybe just maybe this team could get on a roll.

Reactions: Hawkman

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I've never been one to defend Diaz, but apparently he had an issue with his back that was bothering him the whole time, and is why they pulled him (he himself had signalled to the trainer). He had been really good to that point so his struggles last night could have been caused by that.

Reactions: Hawkman and Greg02

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That Wainwright curve ball still gives me nightmares. Hard to believe he's still spinning it all these years later.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Lindor once again strikes out with the bases loaded and a chance to blow open the game.

Not sure who said it but it's true...Rojas needs to drop Lindor from the 2 hole until he starts to hit. He's killing way to many rally's.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Mrs Lindor: How was work today?
Francisco Lindor: Got two people fired.
Mrs Lindor: Pass the caviar mashed potatoes.

Reactions: NYR94 and Maximus

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Mets are panicking. The April MLB BA was .232.
Davis was a holdover from the previous regime who had, at best, mixed success in his career. The Mets were near the bottom in most categories including being worst (until the past couple games) in runs per game. He was on borrowed time and his time ran out. I don't think it was panic.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The Mets are panicking. The April MLB BA was .232.

It’s not though. Read the comments. They’re very clear about it not being that

E8222F66-823C-40FB-ADCB-467E66D4E8C9.jpeg

Reactions: Hawkman and nyr2k2

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
It’s not though. Read the comments. They’re very clear about it not being that

View attachment 429580

Approach and results are typically a direct correlation. It was very evident that something is just flat out wrong about their game plan and approach. The comments McNeil made about the Garrett Richards game and how their gameplan told them one thing and the opposite happened and they never adjusted in game screams to me a stubbornness by the staff. We are constantly aggressive when we need to be patient and vice versa. Lindor's BP session while in a slump should also be a red flag. When AROD is calling your swing lazy, there's a problem.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Approach and results are typically a direct correlation. It was very evident that something is just flat out wrong about their game plan and approach. The comments McNeil made about the Garrett Richards game and how their gameplan told them one thing and the opposite happened and they never adjusted in game screams to me a stubbornness by the staff. We are constantly aggressive when we need to be patient and vice versa. Lindor's BP session while in a slump should also be a red flag. When AROD is calling your swing lazy, there's a problem.

I agree. But it’s wrong to say this is a panic move. Or just a reaction to a bad average. Scott went out of his way to make it clear it wasn’t.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

I agree. But it’s wrong to say this is a panic move. Or just a reaction to a bad average. Scott went out of his way to make it clear it wasn’t.
I agree with points both of you make. At the end of the day, Davis was hired by guys that aren't here, under an owner that's not here, and was of course going to be closely evaluated by the new regime. They didn't like what they saw. Davis has had mixed success in his career as a coach. I don't think this should be surprising. This was the type of situation where, even if the Mets hit decently all year, it wouldn't have been shocking to see the guy let go at the end of the year. Front offices (and owners) like to bring in their guys, who share their approaches.

I do believe that the team didn't like the process, the approach, the systems and all that. I don't believe that the terrible start played no role at all; if they were hitting the cover off the ball, of course they wouldn't have fired him when they did. So it was a combination of things that led to this, IMO, none of which was "panic" though.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just put Lindor in the 7th or 8 hole if not get him out of the lineup for a day or two. He's costing us games now!

If this wasn't funny it would be sad but I recall my brother distinctly saying that Lindor better not turn out to be "Jason Bay" after we gave him all that money. I said to my bro he was nuts and that Lindor was 10x the player Bay was...hmmmm....maybe not...lol

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

My gut is that Sandy wanted Davis gone from the outset, but had other things to focus on and was willing to give him a chance. It wasn't working, Sandy brought it to the forefront, everyone agreed, they got their ducks in a row and then pulled the trigger.

Reactions: Maximus

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lindor - feel sry for the guy. All that money to spend and nowhere to shop besides Amazon.

flipping Mets (smh)

Reactions: nyr2k2

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

My gut is that Sandy wanted Davis gone from the outset, but had other things to focus on and was willing to give him a chance. It wasn't working, Sandy brought it to the forefront, everyone agreed, they got their ducks in a row and then pulled the trigger.

I'd love for it to be merely "coincidence" but wouldn't it be fitting if now that Chili is gone, all of a sudden the Mets as a team started hitting in particularly Lindor...hmmmm!

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lindor - feel sry for the guy. All that money to spend and nowhere to shop besides Amazon.

flipping Mets (smh)
I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for the dude, but I will give him credit--he remains upbeat, he's still always up on the top step cheering on his guys, etc. He's still being a good teammate and still trying. He's not sulking or anything. Me, I'd be throwing bats, smashing water coolers, ripping phones off walls, breaking shit in the clubhouse, etc. :laugh:
I'd love for it to be merely "coincidence" but wouldn't it be fitting if now that Chili is gone, all of a sudden the Mets as a team started hitting in particularly Lindor...hmmmm!
Chili was a weird hire in the first place. Like, he had flamed out something like three other places? He had some success in Chicago but then they fired him after falling apart and after all the players said they didn't understand his approach and couldn't connect with him or whatever? Why hire a guy who can't last anywhere before the place crashes and burns?

I don't know anything about Quiggletits or whoever this guy is, but I'm hoping he brings a fresh and more modern approach.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I don't feel an ounce of sympathy for the dude, but I will give him credit--he remains upbeat, he's still always up on the top step cheering on his guys, etc. He's still being a good teammate and still trying. He's not sulking or anything. Me, I'd be throwing bats, smashing water coolers, ripping phones off walls, breaking shit in the clubhouse, etc. :laugh:

Chili was a weird hire in the first place. Like, he had flamed out something like three other places? He had some success in Chicago but then they fired him after falling apart and after all the players said they didn't understand his approach and couldn't connect with him or whatever? Why hire a guy who can't last anywhere before the place crashes and burns?

I don't know anything about Quiggletits or whoever this guy is, but I'm hoping he brings a fresh and more modern approach.

I notice that as well that Lindor no matter how shitty he is doing with the bat, it hasn't affected him whatsoever on the field as he's been great at SS and like you said, he seemingly always has an upbeat attitude and is always rooting his teammates on.

Whenever he does start hitting and it will happen as he's to good for it not too but it's going to be alot of fun watching him as you just know his teammates love him and he's going to be very well received when the inevitable huge hitting streak happens.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I notice that as well that Lindor no matter how shitty he is doing with the bat, it hasn't affected him whatsoever on the field as he's been great at SS and like you said, he seemingly always has an upbeat attitude and is always rooting his teammates on.

Whenever he does start hitting and it will happen as he's to good for it not too but it's going to be alot of fun watching him as you just know his teammates love him and he's going to be very well received when the inevitable huge hitting streak happens.
I just read an interview with Chili in the Post. He said he had a weird feeling starting a week back. But he was not bitter at all about any of it, seemed upbeat, acknowledged his approach is old school and now guys are more analytical about things. Seemed pretty...chill. I wish him well.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'd be throwing bats, smashing water coolers, ripping phones off walls, breaking shit in the clubhouse, etc.
We as fans love that shit, show us how frustrated you are because we are too. (DQ so calm in last night's presser is an example of the opposite instance) That's why Paul O'neil was such a Yankees fan favorite. The key is though you gotta eventually turn the slump around or all the violent acts start to get tired and meaningless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad