OT: MLB Thread XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
upload_2021-3-4_19-5-20.png

This is why the Win stat in baseball can be so deceptive.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Odorizzi ends up signing for 2 years/$21m

really wish the Mets had gone after him.
Yeah I saw that. I wonder if he was holding out for a better deal and the Mets just moved on. I think the Mets have shown this winter they weren't interested in getting into a protracted bidding war and then losing out, only to have no good alternatives. Like, I wonder if they checked in on Odorizzi and realized he was not going to sign until ST or later and decided to move onto Walker, rather than risk ending up with neither.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Yeah I saw that. I wonder if he was holding out for a better deal and the Mets just moved on. I think the Mets have shown this winter they weren't interested in getting into a protracted bidding war and then losing out, only to have no good alternatives. Like, I wonder if they checked in on Odorizzi and realized he was not going to sign until ST or later and decided to move onto Walker, rather than risk ending up with neither.

more than bidding war, i think it comes down to determining what a guy is worth and being willing to walk away. they refuse to overpay for guys just because they have more $$ and they can overpay...the result is you miss out on guys and its not always as fun for fans in the short term. but its an approach that hopefully pays off in the long run

Reactions: nyr2k2

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Rheal Cormier a left handed pitcher ...starter/long relief that played with many clubs for many years died of cancer the other day .He was from a small French speaking community in New Brunswick Canada .Not exactly where you find MLB talent especially in starting pitchers .

I used to set up at sports card shows in that province and my partner in crime and I sold his cards for like 10 bucks each...he only had one RC and it was a Bowman card and thus not mainstream available around that area in bulk quantities.....I noticed an ad for some of his cards in the SCD magazine and called and they had 32,000 of them for sale.....so we bought them all for 325 .00 bucks . Safe to say the price dropped when we went to the next show ....LOL...I still have 7000 of them left .....but we did quite well on that investment !!! I also bought a couple of his game used cracked Louisville Slugger bats...I did well on them too... I was hoping to have had the chance to meet him....but never did . RIP Rheal. He died of cancer .

Looking forward to the MLB season too !

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
MLB to try experimental rules in minors this year

I like most of the experimental rules.. the irony of lost of them is that it just brings the game back to the way it used and should be played for statholes destroyed the sport

the only other rule i would like is to limit the batter from stepping out after each pitch if u dont swing. I dont want to watch u adjust yourself or your weird ritual. Just get in the damn box and be ready to swing

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've been debating this the last few days and I want to bring it to people who are smarter than Pauly T with his shirtless Facebook profile pic.

MLB is considering rules to nerf the shift and everyone is like "too bad players should just go the other way."

I always see this and as somebody who played and was an extreme push-hitter, it's really frustrating.

If you told me "too bad, buddy, just pull the ball," you're telling to completely change the way I play the game. It's like telling Artemi Panarin or Adam Fox "hey, you're great, but you should take your 5'9" frame and just hit people more. Just do it. Oh and Alexis? You're a bit on the slow side. Just skate faster."

Like, ok, boss. I'll just do the sports better. It's been that simple the whole time.

Or they tell you lay down a bunt. Yeah, that's what I wanna do as the #3 hitter in the order, run a play on which the league-wide average is about .140.

And yes, there are times where you have to cut down, put a ball in play, don't strike out, small ball, whatever. But that's situational. Over the course of 600 plate appearances, you have to hit the way you hit.

What MLB should do about the shift, if anything, is an interesting debate, but it's been around since what, Giambi in 2003? That's 18 years now. If "just beat it" were viable, they would have beaten it by now.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I've been debating this the last few days and I want to bring it to people who are smarter than Pauly T with his shirtless Facebook profile pic.

MLB is considering rules to nerf the shift and everyone is like "too bad players should just go the other way."

I always see this and as somebody who played and was an extreme push-hitter, it's really frustrating.

If you told me "too bad, buddy, just pull the ball," you're telling to completely change the way I play the game. It's like telling Artemi Panarin or Adam Fox "hey, you're great, but you should take your 5'9" frame and just hit people more. Just do it. Oh and Alexis? You're a bit on the slow side. Just skate faster."

Like, ok, boss. I'll just do the sports better. It's been that simple the whole time.

Or they tell you lay down a bunt. Yeah, that's what I wanna do as the #3 hitter in the order, run a play on which the league-wide average is about .140.

And yes, there are times where you have to cut down, put a ball in play, don't strike out, small ball, whatever. But that's situational. Over the course of 600 plate appearances, you have to hit the way you hit.

What MLB should do about the shift, if anything, is an interesting debate, but it's been around since what, Giambi in 2003? That's 18 years now. If "just beat it" were viable, they would have beaten it by now.

I can't speak to the minutiae of the effectiveness of shifts in baseball, but every league has implemented new rules against 'illegal' defenses. The idea that baseball has to stick to this originalist nature in blocking any progressivism is nonsense. That is also rich for a sport that did so many short-lived but wildly different rules in the past (changing mound heights, etc).

More importantly, I want change for the things that really matter, robot umps first in the list.

Reactions: Machinehead

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Imagine if LDs weren't allowed to check LWs or if forwards and centers weren't allowed to shoot threes or if RBs weren't allowed to line up as a receiver. There are few rules in any of the major sports regarding where you're required to line up defensively. Leaguewide average for bunting is low because the only people who practice it are pitchers - does anyone actually bunt in the minors? Imagine if people practiced bunting and uses it strategically. But no MLB wants more homers so they want to change the rules and we'll wind up with 4 hour games. Maybe they should disallow guarding the corners, double play depth, etc. while they're at it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Imagine if LDs weren't allowed to check LWs or if forwards and centers weren't allowed to shoot threes or if RBs weren't allowed to line up as a receiver. There are few rules in any of the major sports regarding where you're required to line up defensively. Leaguewide average for bunting is low because the only people who practice it are pitchers - does anyone actually bunt in the minors? Imagine if people practiced bunting and uses it strategically. But no MLB wants more homers so they want to change the rules and we'll wind up with 4 hour games. Maybe they should disallow guarding the corners, double play depth, etc. while they're at it.
Like I said, whether or not MLB should intervene is a different story.

Telling players "just beat it or you're dumb and bad" is obviously not viable after 18 years.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I think eliminating the shift is completely asinine. Let’s keep ruining the sport and changing the rules. Is that man on second rule a joke or what? Is this softball? No DH for the NL though, the one thing they should’ve focused on. Manfred is an idiot. Guys want the game to be cupcakes and rainbows easy because they smell the $$$$$$$. Only reason. Imagine telling a manager now you have to bring in pitchers and have them face three batters minimum AND also can’t shift. What a crock of bs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The best hitters in baseball can hit to all fields.
This is just patently false.

Lots of the games elite are pull hitters. Always have been.

Ted Williams couldn't put the ball in the left field if he threw it. He's the greatest hitter who ever lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad